HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard rumors of the USP 45 (full size) having decocker failure issues resulting in accidental discharge. While I prefer to carry mine cocked and locked, I will on occasion carry hammer down in the DA first shot configuration. When doing so, I point the muzzle in a safe direction and depress the decocker lever to go to DA/SA mode. I was recently told this was extremely dangerous... if that is the case, what is the purpose of the decocker and why wouldn't I just decock it by pressing the trigger while simultaneously slowly lowering the hammer with my thumb - like I have always done with my 1911's or Browning HiPower? Actually, this is how I now decock my USP, but by using the decocking lever in lieu of the trigger when slowly lowering the hammer with my thumb. Is there truth to this rumor?

·
Registered
419 Posts
This is the first I've heard of it. I use my decocker to decock my USP. I guess if the person decocking it has the finger on the trigger it could be possible.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Is there truth to this rumor?
The only way the pistol could discharge by using the decocker is IF the catch failed AND the firing pin block failed simultaneously. On an unmodified pistol the chance of this happening is so close to zero it's hard to conceive. It goes without saying that all safe handling rules still apply.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As Brownie said above....it's not possible for the gun to fire while using the decocker unless you're simultaneously pulling the trigger as the decocking mechanism is failing. So, in other words, it's not really possible..

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The only way that could happen is if the person handling the gun does something stupid. This just seems like the normal "Cocked & Locked" fear mantra that I've seen from people just applied to a specific gun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have carried 1911's and HiPowers for over 15 years - always cocked and locked, and though that looks 'scary' to some people, I know it is perfectly safe. That said, though I own over 20 firearms, most of which are handguns, this is my first one with a decocker lever, so the concept is new to me. When I first tried the decocker on my new USP, I noticed the hammer didn't drop all the way down flush with the slide, but left a small space between the hammer and the firing pin area; visually similar to a half-cocked position on a 1911. This looked unusual to me so I did the most dangerous form of research; I surfed the net. I found that is the way the hammer is supposed to be positioned after decocking the gun, but then ran into a bunch of threads about the decocker failing, and heard the same from a "rangemaster" last week. With H&K's reputation, I found this 'problem' very hard to believe, but figured 'better safe than sorry', so I joined this group and asked you all.

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'd be more inclined to believe that the 'failures' were a result of a person thumbing the hammer forward to decock it (instead of using the decocker), and when they screwed up and let the hammer fall too hard, the gun fired. Then they claim it was the decockers fault. Two stout, and well designed components have to fail for the gun to fire while decocking correctly. I wouldn't worry about it OP.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hotwells Shooting Range in Houston/Cypress, Texas. Take your pick on which one to school, but I should forewarn you... they all already know everything there is to know about guns & gun safety, however, maybe they could benefit from some pointers on how to treat acne or an explanation on the birds and the bees...

NO RAPID FIRING!!!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
There were some malfunctions with some Franchi SPAS 12 shotguns with the lever safety. Seems it would discharge when chambered and the safety selector move from 'fire' to 'safe'. This is the first I've heard of an HK discharging by moving the selector.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
As chopperduke and Brownie said so well above, the firing pin block will not let the firing pin move forward unless you depress the trigger (which moves the FP block out of the way). . . and when you decock, the hammer never even hits the firing pin in the first place. When you decock, the hammer stops at half-cock (as you've noticed).

So, when you decock, even if the half-cock failed (unlikely) and allowed the hammer to strike the FP, the FP block would still not let the pistol fire without first depressing the trigger to move the FP block out of the way.

All of this assumes an untinkered-with pistol in normal operating condition. I've never heard of it happening, but I suppose it could be somehow possible for the FP block to get stuck in the open position, but then you would still need the half-cock to fail at the same time.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I have heard rumors of the USP 45 (full size) having decocker failure issues resulting in accidental discharge. While I prefer to carry mine cocked and locked, I will on occasion carry hammer down in the DA first shot configuration. When doing so, I point the muzzle in a safe direction and depress the decocker lever to go to DA/SA mode. I was recently told this was extremely dangerous... if that is the case, what is the purpose of the decocker and why wouldn't I just decock it by pressing the trigger while simultaneously slowly lowering the hammer with my thumb - like I have always done with my 1911's or Browning HiPower? Actually, this is how I now decock my USP, but by using the decocking lever in lieu of the trigger when slowly lowering the hammer with my thumb. Is there truth to this rumor?
If I believed everything I heard I would be in a world of hurt right now. Go rent one and find out for yourself first hand. HK builds one of the safest handguns on the market today... but don't take my word for it, experience it yourself and do a little research.

·
Registered
765 Posts
So, when you decock, even if the half-cock failed (unlikely) and allowed the hammer to strike the FP, the FP block would still not let the pistol fire without first depressing the trigger to move the FP block out of the way.
I'll put my money on someone had his/her finger on the trigger while trying to decock. "Rangemaster" asks the shooter "were you pulling the trigger?" and the nervous shooter either didn't realize it, or tried to save face and denied touching the trigger. Rangemanster (probably unfamiliar with HK products and/or mechanics - let's be honest many of them are extremely opinionated) then saw and seized the opportunity to put in a recommendation for his weapon of choice.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'll put my money on someone had his/her finger on the trigger while trying to decock. "Rangemaster" asks the shooter "were you pulling the trigger?" and the nervous shooter either didn't realize it, or tried to save face and denied touching the trigger. Rangemanster (probably unfamiliar with HK products and/or mechanics - let's be honest many of them are extremely opinionated) then saw and seized the opportunity to put in a recommendation for his weapon of choice.
+1

Great post, I think you nailed it bordercop. :160000:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts