HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I always do, I was bragging about the HK and how there is essentially no other handgun...blah blah blah. And I got a response of "yeah they are good guns but they break too often" After basically calling the guy some sort of glock loving something or another, he pulled about 5 USPs from the range gun supply and showed me that non of the decockers worked.

I have never heard of it and assume it has to be something stupid that some renter did to the gun.

Anybody got anything on this?

-SM

·
Registered
65 Posts
The symptom does not equal the cause. Drawing conclusions about the strengths or weaknesses of a gun design by using the problems that crop up in range guns can be a pick and choose kind of proposition. Some problems will be due to the limitations of the design, some will be due to manufacturer's defect, and many will be due to the practices of the owner/operator. Typically, range guns are a mixed bag with a hard road. Often, the guns that end up as range guns were used guns with some sort of issue. Usually, the issue is aesthetic in nature like a blemish or scratch in the finish. Sometimes it can be excessive wear where the gun has been treated roughly. -In short, it can be anything that may make the gun difficult to sell without a substantial discount. From that start, they then get two windows of opportunity to be treated poorly.

First, they can be handed to individuals who do not how the gun works and who will do all kinds of weird things to them. I have personally seen a Beretta 92 fired by a customer where the disassembly lever was unlatched by someone in that group of three and the slide with barrel was launched down-range on the first shot. I have also had the misfortune to fire a rented Glock 26 once on a range where someone (probably a previous customer) had removed the slide lock spring which holds the slide lock in place which keeps the slide on the receiver. I fired one shot and noticed the slide lock almost fell out of the gun. Why the part was removed, I can only guess. The range personnel thought it was removed because someone needed the part and it was cheaper to rent a gun for $8 and steal the part than it was to buy it and have it shipped.

The second time range guns can be treated poorly is by the business that owns them. Most ranges require the renter to shoot range ammo through the gun and frequently that ammo can be reloads of a less than stellar quality. Additionally, I have seen quite a few places that do not provide much in the way of good, routine care or preventive maintenance for the gun. It seems like the guiding principle for range guns may be to shoot them until they break. I remember one range where the clerk behind the counter wanted to show a customer how durable Glocks were so he started taking them from the rack and pitching them on the ground as a torture test of sorts. -Imagine shooting those guns and finding problems with the sights... Without someone telling you what had been done to them, you would not know the reason they were inaccurate.

That's not to say that there cannot be an underlying problem. Heavy use at the range may demonstrate quite a few limits of a particular design. However, when your samples are all range guns that probably all share less than TLC the cause for the problem may be the poor care and not poor design.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So as I always do, I was bragging about the HK and how there is essentially no other handgun...blah blah blah. And I got a response of "yeah they are good guns but they break too often" After basically calling the guy some sort of glock loving something or another, he pulled about 5 USPs from the range gun supply and showed me that non of the decockers worked.

I have never heard of it and assume it has to be something stupid that some renter did to the gun.

Anybody got anything on this?

-SM
What worked and didn't work on the decocker switch. Did the safety work and if you tried to decock, what happened? Did the hammer hit the firing pin and AD or wouldn't drop at all?

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
It was probably disassembled by the range to keep idiot's from not knowing how it worked. ...That would be my guess. TJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@SniperFox: I only checked the decock function, not the safety. I will check that tomorrow night when I am at the range.

@TexasJim: The guy who showed the USPs to me is the guy who maintains their weapons. They don't tear the weapons down beyond field stripping, and the this was not an intentional modification. In fact they had approximately
5 more USPs that worked correctly. That's the weird part.

@BreakerDave: Not stating it's a poor design; just trying to figure out how someone could break it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Did the decocker move at all? or did it just not decock the hammer? I know when I first bought my USP it took about 2 months for the decocker to 'wear in" and perform smoothly.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are they non-decock #9 or #10 variants? They would only function in the upward "safe" position, and not sweep downward to lower the cocked hammer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I hope this story has a happy ending....with the bad guys going down hard....

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Don't know about them at the range but I have not had any problems with any of mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts