HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am throwing myself at the mercy of the court. I need to know if this is a dumb practice I have got myself into. My USPC 45 was a variant 1 that I converted to a variant 3, I like this alot. I have got in the habit of decocking my gun and then when all is safe I pull back the hammer and let it down with my thumb. My reason is I like the firm trigger pull I get right from the start when I do this and not the play that is there when you decock. Man I hope this is making sense. Anyway, should I stop this? Also is it not good or safe to carry the gun with the hammer all the way down? Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Pulling back the hammer and letting it down with your thumb is a bad practice since you have to pull the trigger to do that. If you thumb slips, gun goes bang. Don't say you are extra careful and your thumb won't slip. I've seen it happen before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pulling back the hammer and letting it down with your thumb is a bad practice since you have to pull the trigger to do that. If you thumb slips, gun goes bang. Don't say you are extra careful and your thumb won't slip. I've seen it happen before.
+1
It has a decocker for a reason... no??

G

·
When the hammer is all the way forward, is the firing pin block unsafe.. (if I whack the hammer, will gun go bang?)

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts
The firing pin block should still stop the firing pin. The problem is lowering the hammer on a live round. You are taking a huge chance at having a NG.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
When you pull the trigger, it disables the FP safety.

So when you try to decock it like a single action, the ONLY safety remaining, is YOU. I have SEEN pictures of a guy whom tried this, and had the slide knock his thumb backwards... Very paintful i would imagine.

Just use the Decocker! It took me a while to use mine over lowing the hammer, but in the end, its easeir and safer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree that you should use the de-cocker!
I don't always practice what I preach however.
I'm quite good at thumbing down every gun I have with either hand.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Jupter, I know thoes guys in your avatar...I grew up with them!!! lol TJ

The thing you have to do is let the decocker drop to it's natural position. Then don't mess with the hammer or trigger till you are off safty and ready to shoot. Only way and safest way to go!!!! TJ

·
Registered
81 Posts
Examine a cartridge after doing just that. The primer will have a slight indentation as it is. The half-cock position is so the hammer is not in contact with the firing pin..and the trigger pull is less, so why reset the hammer all the way?

·
Registered
381 Posts
The firing pin block should still stop the firing pin. The problem is lowering the hammer on a live round. You are taking a huge chance at having a NG.
+1 and not to mention possibly losing your thumb.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know this must be a habit I carried over from years of using guns without a decock. I really like the set up in variant 3 where the the decock does exactly that and no more. Well, it sounds like this is another habit that has to go, I have a few others but this will be enough for this year :) Thanks to all!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Jupter, I know thoes guys in your avatar...I grew up with them!!! lol TJ

The thing you have to do is let the decocker drop to it's natural position. Then don't mess with the hammer or trigger till you are off safty and ready to shoot. Only way and safest way to go!!!! TJ

LOL - I grew up with them too!
They don't make them like they use to TJ!

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
LOL - I grew up with them too!
They don't make them like they use to TJ!

That is so true...... and so sad too.

So to make sure that no one thinks we hi-jacked this thread, Elmer Fudd used to use a Benilli.....LOL TJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts