HKPRO Forums banner

Defending oneself in CA

3K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  JustMee 
#1 ·
My kids really want to go to the SD Zoo. Besides my usual reservations about spending money in a state run by tyrants, I have a pretty hard time bringing my family into a populous area with no means to defend them whatsoever.

What, if anything, can I bring in a checked bag on an airline and at least have in a rental car or in our hotel room? Is something like a Mossberg Shockwave legal for a visitor to CA to possess? I know that I will not legally be able to carry anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Indreams84
#5 ·
California even regulates the maximum "heat" of pepper spray. I can take guns to California and carry them, but in non-permissive places like that I always carry too a cane, or a golf umbrella with a solid fiberglass shaft, depending on weather and other factors. I am old, and neither item raises an eyebrow, and I know a lot of young guys who use canes because of war wounds and other injuries, so age is of little import. There exist many videos showing best ways to use these things in self defense.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
Since CA does not recognize out of state CCWs, and Legoland might have a policy on CCW, maybe you could just carry something incognito like the cane or umbrella that was suggested above.

For the most part Legoland isn't too bad. Just avoid downtown SD and National City. Otherwise, most other places in SD county are decent and lots of people I know down there have CCWs already.

#15 ·
I would do mace or pepper spray. Like someone said, you may not be able to take that into the zoo. I am from Nevada, with all relatives in California. When I travel, I do take my p2000sk. California has some crazy laws about not having a loaded magazine in the firearm, if I recall. Unfortunately, I did not follow that law nor would I when I travel on any highway in the US. A cane would also work, use it as a hanbo. I did go to Disneyland before the COVID Crisis and flew into John Wayne international and we made it to Disneyland safely. You just have to be on your toes in any American large city lately with all the increase in deadbeats.

#20 ·
Don't forget a lockback with a blade </= 3".
It's so useful and I don't feel right without a blade of some kind.

You can probably pick up a inexpensive Kershaw for less than $25 and if it gets confiscated you aren't out much.

Blades over 3" and fixed blades of any length at all cannot be concealed legally. Nobody seams to care about a 3+" blade if it's clipped in your pocket so the clip shows.

#25 ·
You can't carry a shotgun around with you so you'll only have it in your hotel room, and no one is going to attack you in your hotel room, so relax and leave your weapon home. The chances someone will attack you on the streets are also zero to none for your short visit, but you could carry pepperspray if it makes you feel better. San Diego is a fun, relaxing city.

If you feel the need to go shooting, we have some good indoor ranges here, and there are some fun outdoor ranges if you are willing to go for a drive. I like the Pala reservation one.

Have a great time!

#26 ·
In Cali they are very restrictive with guns even high cap for federal agents needs a letter from their department just to purchase. So like I’ve read above some suggested walking sticks, carbon fiber umbrellas, pepper spray (mind the wind direction) or a tactical pen. The zoo is not a strict as the Disney land that has metal detectors and security with wand metal scanners. Read the rules and bring what you are comfortable with.

#27 ·
San Diego is one of the better places in California. Yes avoid some places at night. We have less problems here with weak law enforcement. We are not like San Francisco or Los Angeles. San Diego is not perfect but still a nicer, safer place in all Commifornia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.