HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time once again for this resident idiot to ask another stupid question.

Where do demilled parts kits come from? I mean I know you can get them from LSC or HKParts (or numerous places for Kalashnikov pattern rifles) but I wondered if there's any more options out there for them in case the specific kit you're looking for isn't available. Can they be found on places like Sturmgewehr? Gunbroker? Beuhler.......

Thanks again and don't forget to tune in next time when I'll probably have ANOTHER asinine question that I just haven't thought of yet

(I love this place)

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Police department trade-ins. In some cases, a dealer just brokers the sale for the department and demills them.

We have theorized for some time that the suppliers buy them up as soon as they become available so that they can control the prices and availability. But that's sort of a conspiracy theory crossed with free market practicality. :biggrin:

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
The really hard to come by kits only become available when a unicorn is slain. Because of the rarity of these unicorns, these kits are super rare and super expensive.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
The really hard to come by kits only become available when a unicorn is slain. Because of the rarity of these unicorns, these kits are super rare and super expensive.
Well that and the fact that Tom Cruise will kick your ass. But at least you get to bump uglies with Mia Sara first.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm supposed to take this as "I've asked a stupid question" aren't I.....BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Well that and the fact that Tom Cruise will kick your ass. But at least you get to bump uglies with Mia Sara first.
I've missed you.

I'm supposed to take this as "I've asked a stupid question" aren't I.....BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Nah. Retro is correct (his first response). Much of the demilled parts scene is a who-knows-who network. The main parts suppliers buy the most, especially when there is volume available. If you are a department or broker that has 50 kits available, there are only a couple of people with the capital to buy them all in one pop. The smaller quantities are often bought and sold-off as individual parts as often found in The Marketplace or Gunbroker.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Honestly chops I thought it was every time a parts kit came available, an angel got their wings?!

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Honestly chops I thought it was every time a parts kit came available, an angel got their wings?!
No, it's "every time someone uses a demilled kit to build a new gun on a clone receiver, Jesus kills a puppy."

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
That sounds better retro!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the interest of not posting two threads in one day asking dumb ass questions I've got one regarding 922(r) but it's still related to demilled kits in a way.

So to remain compliant a person needs six (6) US manufactured parts on their gun. Obviously the receiver is a freebie, and with the arrival of DJF's magazines one would think that you could simply sell off the German mag that came with the demill (I'm betting that wouldn't take very long to sell at all around here) and then swap the sear and hammer and you'd be done with nothing else to worry with. Not a single part requiring more than a hand punch and a complete German BCG and absolutely zero restrictions on any furniture you might want to keep around.

1 - Receiver (from flat)
2 - Hammer
3 - Sear
4 - Mag Body
5 - Follower
6 - Floorplate

Does that seem like a reasonable way to go for a build seeing as Dave's mags are reviewing very well amongst the community?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I've never been a big fan of relying on the mag for compliance. So if someone else at the range has a similar model and wants to run one of his foreign made mags through your gun, you wouldn't be compliant. What if one of his rounds blows up the gun? There is an investigation. While the odds are low, why have one more thing to worry about? YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
y'know that's actually a valid point I hadn't considered (though where I live chances are better I'm the ONLY MF for miles and miles around with any real interest in these weapons) I was just trying to consider options to minimize the expenditure of funds necessary by a person building from a "kit" as far as swapping otherwise perfectly viable parts. Now in my instance what I'm itching for the most at this point would be a MP5K-PDW build which due to the lack of "kits" available on the market (Adam only has one and for the price I could build two complete units using RCM parts) so I'm more apt to have an over abundance of 922 compliant parts in my build.

Don't get me wrong I definitely see your point about never having to worry about "where that mag has been" so to speak, but just considering that I've never seen another MP5 series style rifle in my neck of the woods I should think that should at least be something of a consideration. IE if I'm the only person with mags then so long as my mags are compliant then everything is golden right?

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Don't forget you can use a US forearm (SW, PRT, Surefire), stock (SW, PRT, Choate), pistol grip (SW, PRT). Easy 3 parts to swap out and get that count up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's true enough but I personally like the look of the German teardrop SEF lowers better than the US made options out there which unfortunately precludes me from swapping that part. I suppose the saddest fact here is that the low availability of parts and high prices of them just makes it insulting that you're forced to toss out perfectly viable parts without any logical/sane reasoning. (PERSONAL OPINION PUT THE FLAMETHROWERS AWAY) If you're already paying $1500.00-2800.00 for a parts kit sans flat and weldment kit only to have no choice but toss parts in the crapper just makes my heart hurt.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
That's true enough but I personally like the look of the German teardrop SEF lowers better than the US made options out there which unfortunately precludes me from swapping that part. I suppose the saddest fact here is that the low availability of parts and high prices of them just makes it insulting that you're forced to toss out perfectly viable parts without any logical/sane reasoning. (PERSONAL OPINION PUT THE FLAMETHROWERS AWAY) If you're already paying $1500.00-2800.00 for a parts kit sans flat and weldment kit only to have no choice but toss parts in the crapper just makes my heart hurt.
You can sell them.

And unfortunately, you might be looking at this wrong. At least we get to use demilled MP5 kits. I can easily see where a ruling could have happened against that. Just look at the new rules on demilling a MG (not SMG) barrel. I have a British G3 kit that has three big ass holes drilled in the barrel.

Anyway, get a sear and don't worry about parts count. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I've gotten package deals on German mags at $30 and $26 each. With using US made 9mm mags, you'll be locked into one brand of mags. Over time you might be able to find used US made mags, but that will be very limiting. So you'll need to buy new mags to be sure you'll have them. My understanding is the factory side folding PDW stocks were made here in the US. A BMP K vertical fore grip can be bought as a US part. While it might be unlikely, there might be others interested in this style of firearm you don't know.

Since what you want is a MP5K PDW clone I agree that the likely hood of finding an inexpensive HK MP5K PDW parts set is very unlikely. So using RCM parts to build it would be much more cost effective. So the whole discussion is moot. My understanding is that the K trunnion is a little different than the standard 9mm trunnion. The last I knew the last HK factory PDW barrel I noticed for sale was listed at $1,200 and didn't last long. So a RCM K trunnion and barrel plus a cocking handle and you'll have the other three parts you need. Good luck with the build.

Scott

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
We're finding that DJF's US made 9mm mags are working particularly well. Investing primarily in these mags ain't such a bad idea. They look damned good and best of all, they work. Long term use will ultimately tell the tale, but so far... so good.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^THAT is why I brought it up. It really wasn't an issue with anything 922 per se I'm just basing it on the remarks from respected members like that (Ok well Shattered's not entirely sane but he'll do for purposes of this discussion)

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
^^THAT is why I brought it up. It really wasn't an issue with anything 922 per se I'm just basing it on the remarks from respected members like that (Ok well Shattered's not entirely sane but he'll do for purposes of this discussion)
You don't have to be sane to be respected. But it helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts