HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I believe that is correct. If you look through this thread there was a post a month or so ago indicating they discontinued the 416c. I think the reason given wa reliability issues?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yes, when I was at HK USA a few weeks back they were tol the 416C was discontinued and to destroy the prototype models they, this was from HK Germany. The guy the wrote the orignal thread was there with me as well. The modified recoil system was causing too many problems, so instead of fixing it they just decided to scrap it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry for reviving this but I have an opportunity to buy the HK416C, but want to clarify what problems where encountered with this SBR? Hope someone have had experience or knowledge of it.

thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I just wouldn't use it for a duty gun. If you have the chance to snap one up go for it. If you're going to put it in the hands of a department whos life depends on it, I'd say no. When a manufacturer says, "We don't want to sell this because it's unreliable", it's probably a good idea to listen.

-W

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
If you want reliable 5.56 SBR with 9"-ish barrel from HK, it is readily available with folding stock. I believe it is called HK G36C.

As to HK416C, I do believe it was reliable enough, that most other manufacturers making AR15 style SBRs would go to the market with it without thinking twice about it. But it did not cut it for HK standards of reliability.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks Montrala and starsnuffer. I have also considered the g36c but its like finding a needle in a haystack from this side of the world. I'm searching all possible leads on this reported problem with hk416c... But can't seem to find what issues actually do happen. Is it buffer failure that breaks the spring or bolt? What is the difference between the buffer system between the 416 vs the 416c?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
What is the difference between the buffer system between the 416 vs the 416c?
Huge. Two different beasts. Also 416c use different bolt carrier. AFAIU it is squeezing buffer/carrier/recoil spring combo into AR15 receiver with ultra short buffer tube that is source of reliability problems. In designs like G36C you only make barrel shorter and reposition gas hole (plus necessary changes to piston system working on higher pressure and shorter dwell time), but all internals and recoil system remains same.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Thanks Montrala and starsnuffer. I have also considered the g36c but its like finding a needle in a haystack from this side of the world. I'm searching all possible leads on this reported problem with hk416c... But can't seem to find what issues actually do happen. Is it buffer failure that breaks the spring or bolt? What is the difference between the buffer system between the 416 vs the 416c?
It is much the same as why HK dropped the UCP (4.6mm) pistol or would not make the P7M10 w/o the massive slide. Like the HK41C these prototype HK's worked fine and were safe but over the long haul they did not have the new weapon performance or safety margins. Like it or not HK usually won't produce the gun if it does not make this standard. Folks over the decades have come to expect HK's can take all sorts of abuse and will push them to the limit over and over again. The HK416C's buffer system was not up to the task for such use so HK dropped it.

G3Kurz

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks Montrala and G3kurz...this is the first reason why I maintain HKs now and selling off non-HKs as I write this response. Never had issues with any of my HKs and seems queer that such a good sized cqb firearm would just be discontinued. I appreciate the fact that such a name would actually just drop a project (money lost on development) to ensure that a no compromise standard is maintained.

Again... Thanks for the straight forward inputs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts