HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of collecting parts for a USC/UMP conversion and I purchased a barrel from a online dealer that I have heard only good things about. I was happy I finally found a factory barrel. It has a polygonal bore, but since I made the purchase I've started noticing all the factory barrels that I've seen pics of have an HK logo engraved on them. Mine does not. Then today I found on gun broker a USC barrel that was converted to look like a UMP barrel and realized mine looks very similar to it. I really wanted this conversion to be as close to a factory UMP as possible. Is there any other markings taht could confirm or were there years that they didn't engrave the UMP barrel with "HK"? or did I get ripped off? Thank you for your responses.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Technically even a shortened USC barrel is still an "HK Factory Barrel", the seller may have scammed you on this technicality. In terms of performance, other than the contours, there's no real difference, but if you're a collector then obviously you want the closest thing possible.

As for the markings, HK and firearm maker in general are really good about markings, partly because many European countries demand markings on the components, also the markings demonstrate QC firing proofs. You'll hardly find a major piece of firearm without markings of some sort, and barrels are especially marked because of liability issues. In fact, I would be even more concerned if yours is a real UMP barrel that's unproofed, vs. one that's cut down from USC and proofed.

Thus a true UMP barrel would be properly marked. The reason that shortened USC barrel won't have marking is because HK marked it at the muzzle end and that portion is cut off when shortened. All in all, chances are you got a shortened USC barrel if the barrel is not properly marked.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So it sounds like you bought a USC barrel cut-down to UMP length, does it have the lip at the end for a suppressor or is it just flat at the end (like the cut the barrel in half, smoothed the edges and said "done!").

Do you already have a USC and you're just buying the few remaining parts, or are you starting from scratch?

·
Registered
780 Posts
It was important to me as well to have an original barrel for my conversion, but after expenses going to other projects, I opted for the new stainless UMP barrel from HDPS for $210 and have no regrets. These things are conversions after all and not factory pieces.

The fit and finish are perfect and it looks just as good and is a very accurate shooter. The .45 ACP markings look great too and not overdone.

Just an idea to throw out there as an option for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts