HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Very new here, and I'm gettin a clone form Cohare arms. (Might have spelled it wrong). Anyway with the exception of the fake supressor and the semi auto only, what other differances woiuld I find between that and the real thing? I can't wait, as I always wanted an mp5 type rifle. I even sent away to the atf for the forms to make it an SBR. Don't know if I will do it or not, but I'll have the option after trying my new MP5.

Happy shooting all.
-Ry

·
Banned
34,554 Posts
Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the purchase!

Real= HK
Clone= Everything but HK (Vector, Coharie, CETME, FMP, Springfield Armory, etc.).

Your clone is good! Differences possibly in function, finish, value. However, the really good clones can be as good as the originals.

I am sure others here who have owned or fired clones can elaborate further.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I own a BW5. The overall quality is average, but functionality when I received it was zero. I had to replace the extractor and extractor spring with HK parts before it would run even moderately well.

I haven't handled any of the other clones, but from the sounds of it they are made to a higher standard than the BW's.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The biggest factor is the receiver. All clones are assembled on US made receivers with either HK parts or licenced HK parts,and US parts to make them 922r compliant. Depending on the quality of parts, the receiver, and the assembly of them, they will function just as well as the HK made ones.

I bought 2 clones from VECTOR ARMS, the V53 and V89 they both shoot great, with a variety of different ammo, from the cheapest I could find, to near top of the line, with no jams FTF, FTE etc... . I didn't need to change out any parts that came with the guns, very reliable and quality made guns

·
Registered
471 Posts
You can't beat the real thing. I have rarely heard of a lemon HK9X series rifle and those were usually due to poorly performed conversions or repairs.

The main thing to keep in mind with a clone is the barrel to receiver fit. As long as they are properly aligned, you will shoot straight. I feel bad for those people out there who complained about their clones shooting 3' high at 100 yards, even with the sights adjusted all the way down.

The rest of the parts can be made to fit properly.

If I start to endorse one manufacturer over another, I will start a e-mail storm, so I will say: Be wary of any clone that is not Springfield(Greek) or PARS Internaltional(Portugese).

JPG

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd say the biggest difference between the factory Hk's and clones is "quality." The clones are great for the price but the factory hk's are better built and have the smoothness you'd expect from a quality German firearm. I've owned two clones…a v53 and a v89. Of the two, the v89 was decent but was also very crude compared to an Hk SP89...the b&t stock didn't fit without a punch set, the rear sight came unfinished and other parts seemed pretty cheap. That said, it functioned very well on both semi and full auto and consider it a great value for someone looking for an sp89 type host for less than half the price of an SP89.

My other clone was a v53 and it was an overall POS...semi was no problem but full auto wasn't remotely reliable despite all german internals, german mags, etc…. This made for some very frustrating range experiences so I sold it.

The clones have a certain value but the quality is still an HK exclusive IMHO, so like anything else it’s all just matter of what you’re looking for and how much you’re willing to spend.

PBR

·
Registered
471 Posts
This is slightly off topic, but your V53 functioned fine in semi? If there was a problem with conversion, maybe someone could have looked at it for you. If a gun is designed for semi-automatic fire and it performs that function properly, then it is a good firearm. If it did not convert to automatic easily, it could be a fit issue.

If it were a matter of changing a few parts, then we wouldn't NEED people like Terry Dyer.

JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts