HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between regular USP's and those approved on the CA compliance list? 10 round magazine limits and safety lockout?

·
Registered
66 Posts
No differences in the guns. No additional “safety lockout” on California USP’s. Just reduced mag capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Only noteworthy difference is the mag capacity.
Tho, I'm not sure about CA, but I know that there's states that some guns have to have a certain item code number, to be compliant. It's literally just one of those things that is different on the sticker that comes on the box.

Edit- sku number. Couldn't remember the term at the time, lol.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
HK , so far, will not manufacture a separate Ca compliant gun as S&W has with the SHIELD, more and more guns are falling off the list in Ca. End result... no more semi autos..may come to that some day.. glad I am gone from Ca.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sig_CI.jpg
Sig version.
Pretty soon an LED strobe and siren will be required when you remove the mag, grip the handle and look down the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Surprised CA doesn't require a warning "that it may cause cancer"...seems like I see that on all kinds of CA products.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Surprised CA doesn't require a warning "that it may cause cancer"...seems like I see that on all kinds of CA products.
Lest you be disappointed, our beloved nanny state of CA does require that warning. I think because pretty much everything in gun stores will kill you one way or another, it's slapped on the front doors and on various displays. With all the notices required on display, my gun store client has the majority of one wall dedicated to CA laws and warnings.

Prop. 65 mandate.

·
Registered
446 Posts
HK , so far, will not manufacture a separate Ca compliant gun as S&W has with the SHIELD, more and more guns are falling off the list in Ca. End result... no more semi autos..may come to that some day.. glad I am gone from Ca.
Agreed. I'm not aware of any gun that H&K has modified to be California compliant, but it can still sell some "modified" versions (for now at least), in the sense that some of the "V" variants of some models are legal, but not others -- and the list is (not surprisingly) arbitrary.

For example, most USP V1 models are legal, but V2's (left hander's safety) are not (yet P2000 V2's are). The USP 9 LEM (V7) was just removed from the approved list, but the USPc 40 LEM is still on the list (and most other LEMs are banned; I suspect that the USPc 40 was just missed and will be deleted soon, as it also does not have an external safety lever). Makes me wonder whether my USPc 45 V1, modified to LEM but retaining the safety lever, would be legal because it was originally sold as V1 and still has its safety -- oh, wait minute, this is CA we're talking about. [roll eyes]

I had to review the California list when checking to see what was legal to carry with a license in Wash., DC. Fortunately, I'm in Virginia; unfortunately I work in DC, so I obtained a DC CC license AND individual licenses for each gun I may carry. DC's allowed list is anything on the California, Maryland and Massachusetts lists. While most of my H&Ks are not eligible under the CA list, they are included in MD's. DC's laws can be just as stupid as CA's, though -- My 15+1 P30 is limited to 10+1, and a second magazine with only 9. So I'm allowed 20 rounds total, but I can't carry 15+1. [roll eyes]

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Remember HK has to pay money to keep guns on that list. So if they are not selling a model in volume, it gets hooked. Plus you can always change it from DA/SA to LEM after you purchase it. The list is getting smaller every year. The gun hater's goal is NO List in 10 years.

·
Registered
446 Posts
So you can only have a max of 20 rds on your body at any time? That is just crazy.
Yep, and yep.

Local DC politicians are idiots (same folks that are about to approve letting 16 year olds vote (as if they needed any more of a majority)). ZERO understanding of firearms technology = some of the strictest gun laws in the country, yet murder rate rising. So their fix is to take away law-abiding peoples' ability to defend themselves.

Counting down the 6 1/2 years I have left commuting into the sewer.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I was born in Ca, spent 30+ years in LE, glad I am retired now and in Idaho...I have a 50 state LE permit and I just applied for a civilian permit , It is good in 38 states.. I don't need it but my son wanted to take the class so I decided to take it with him.. Either permit does not list guns or serials so I can carry pretty much any gun, which is usually a VP 40.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Either permit does not list guns or serials so I can carry pretty much any gun,
Same in Virginia. But in the DC, I have to carry both my carry permit card AND a separate ID card specific to each different gun I want to carry. [rolls eyes]

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Roll-eyes indeed. So carry 9 in a 10 mag that’s already been decapitated from a 15, and a max of 20 in-person?
That would definitely give the Bad Guy a disadvantage... Oh, wait!

Nothing on my card but ‘Concealed Handgun Permit’, ok so I’m limited to carrying one handgun.
15rd cap mag ‘ban’ here. Does not include parts and maintenance, so plenty 15+ mags retail with the floorplate disassembled (assembly instructions included) – all openly legal. Another example of legislation intelligence.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts