HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -

Tried the search function and didn’t find anything. I own a USPc 9mm and came across a stainless .40 USPc slide, barrel and recoil spring, so I picked it up to be able to shoot both calibers.

I haven’t fired it yet, but while cleaning the 40 slide I noticed the cuts were similar to my 9 slide in shape but the 9 were much deeper while the 40 much more shallow. Big difference. I took a photo, I’m referring to the long cut on the left of each slide and the smaller one near the hammer on the right on each slide. The 9 in black is on the right AE date code and the 40 in stainless is on the left KH date code.

is this a difference between 9 and 40, or indate of manufacture? Assuming still fine to run them on the same frame that came with the 9?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I say you’re GTG. 9/40/.357Sig all use the same frame. Seeing as you have full uppers for 9/40, no issue. Only the USPc45 has a different frame. Can’t put those uppers on it nor a .45 slide on the 9/40/.357Sig frame. The deeper cuts in the 9mm slide is for weight reduction, 9 doesn’t require the heavier slide. I vote use the correct mags too. I know people report without issue using .40 mags for 9mm (not the other way though) and they feed, but just me, use the correct mags for caliber.

·
Registered
655 Posts
While in principal you would be fine, I wouldn't be surprised to find that you have cycling issues. Weight/mass/resistance all come in to play when engineering spring weights versus recoil impulse/energy. The heavier slide could result in a shortened stroke cycle and less energy to strip and feed fresh rounds. The upside is that you can use different ammo (+p) and that may be the solution if there is a problem.

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts