HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

A couple of months ago I was looking at some MR762s deciding on whether to buy one or not. Well now, I have decided its the time to get one or maybe not after seeing what it has morphed into.

Call me a picky eater but, what happened in these couple of months? I'm totally disgusted.

The MR762 Hand guard came from looking like this slick unique battle rifle that screams HK Military Quality 4-MR762A1-RIGHT-HK-sights-20rd-mag-AUG2014.jpg

Then now the new hand guard makes a it look like some glorified cheap-o off the shelf AR-10 in the back of Big 5 Sporting goods pix414591916.jpg

Besides the cosmetic appeal, with the new hand guard you loose the picatinny quad rail functionality and makes it more bulky.

Why did HK change do this?

Is there an option where you can purchase the gun with the original hand guard?

I am really not looking forward to dropping $500+ on the original hand guard...

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-MR762-Picatinny-Quad-Rail-Handguard-Complete-360p16629.htm

Thanks in advance,
Regards

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yeah it's just a bummer they did it with the MR762 and MR556 I hate new rail and would be nice if HK gave you an option to pick if you are lucky keep eye out for one on here that is what I did.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Might try asking some of the vendors here, if they have one with the quad-rail design instead of HKey.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
If you ask me they are just trying to keep up with the "trend" of non-pic rail forends seen on a lot of rifles today.

Yes you can buy the original hand guard and it wouldn't be surprise me if you can find one here on the cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
The real killer for the new rail is that it's a proprietary HKey mod system that isn't the same as the keymod that everyone else uses.

To be honest, I disliked the quad rail and ditched them on both my MR556 and MR762. It's heavy for the length, leaves a lot of barrel exposed, bulky, and has sharp edges making rail covers almost mandatory. Plus, most people only use a fraction of all the rail space available. I'd rather have a slimmer and lighter rail that just has mounting points so I can add only the rail sections at the specific points I need. Still, HK managed to screw this up.

I have the CIM Tactical rail on mine.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I have ditched the quad rail on both of my 416's, preferring Geissele forends. I have the HKey on my CR556. for me personally, the slimmer more functional forends, are preferable, not to mention all the extra pic rail just adds weight as well as girth.... functionality over looks/function over form

Anyway, I digress, there are many options for forends out there, as mentioned above, you could likely find someone on here looking to un-load their quad rail at a fair price?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I used to feel the same way and was even a little disappointed when I opened my new MR556A1 a while back to find HK had replaced the quadrail. But, I've grown to like it, for the reasons dwillHK/LCSO mentioned. I think it even looks good on the MR762A1, being better proportioned without having all the extra barrel sticking out.

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
The real killer for the new rail is that it's a proprietary HKey mod system that isn't the same as the keymod that everyone else uses.

To be honest, I disliked the quad rail and ditched them on both my MR556 and MR762. It's heavy for the length, leaves a lot of barrel exposed, bulky, and has sharp edges making rail covers almost mandatory. Plus, most people only use a fraction of all the rail space available. I'd rather have a slimmer and lighter rail that just has mounting points so I can add only the rail sections at the specific points I need. Still, HK managed to screw this up.

I have the CIM Tactical rail on mine.

That's a pretty nice rail. When I get my MR762 home from my FFL, I'll have to take a hard look at that one.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
$215 shipped will get you a brand new takeoff MR762 quad rail from me if anyone wants the older style.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Folks,

Thank you all so very for taking the time much for responding and commenting.

I am kind of on the fence about what 762 to get now.

Regards

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Have you ever examined a Geissele Rail for the 416/MR556? I have yet to find anything that is even close to the machining and close tolerances of a Geissele.
I had a Geissele rail for my MR556, but swapped it out for a SI rail, so yes I'm familiar with the Geissele rail. However, we're talking the 417/MR762, and I don't believe Geissele makes a rail for that model.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Wow that CIM is nice!!! I really like my HKey rail, to each his own I guess. only put the rails where you want and very light.............
plus it goes well with the OSS!! sweet in any flavor!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts