HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an SL8-6. I'd like to add a G36 lower and a C stock to it, but want to keep the magwell the same. I already have a G36C version in the works, so it doesn't bother me to keep the 10 rd capacity. My question is this:

do I still have to adhere to the u.s. parts count rule if I'm not making it a hi-cap rifle? I only want to add the other parts for the cool factor.

Thanks.

Scottoe

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
I think that adding a pistol grip and folding stock will trigger the US parts count rule, regardless if you keep the 10 rd mag limit.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yes, if you add a Collapsable/folding stock or pistol grip i think you need to consider 922r.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the gun is modified into a configuration that would be un-importable, the US parts count rule comes into effect, regardless of magazine capacity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I've been searching the archives for SL8/G36 information before starting new thread topics :)

Addressing the OP's original question, and keeping the 922r issue aside for the time being (my head is still spinning), is there any reason why the stock magwell and SL8 10 rnd and/or aftermarket SL8 20 rnd magazines can't be used in a SL8/G36 conversion, using the HDPS stock block, G36 stock, and G36 lower? It isn't an incompatibility/fitment issue is it? Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I've been searching the archives for SL8/G36 information before starting new thread topics :)

Addressing the OP's original question, and keeping the 922r issue aside for the time being (my head is still spinning), is there any reason why the stock magwell and SL8 10 rnd and/or aftermarket SL8 20 rnd magazines can't be used in a SL8/G36 conversion, using the HDPS stock block, G36 stock, and G36 lower? It isn't an incompatibility/fitment issue is it? Thanks!
No it's not a compatibility issue, you certainly can use the stock mag well and SL8 mags. Most people don't do it because one of the main points of doing the G36 conversion is having the ability to accept G36 mags/hicap mags.

Just keep in mind that a SL8 mag well can only be used with single stack mags. With a G36 magwell your SL8 mag will still work but it won't fit tightly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for the clarification. I guess my other question would be, then really the only advantage to switching to the G36 magwell would be to allow for the 30 round double stacked mags, in addition to creating a more accurate representation of the G36?

So if I were ok with the smaller capactiy 20 round single stack mag (and it looks like SL-8.de even has a 30 round SL8 mag), then is there any other reason to go through the trouble of modifying the upper to accept the G36 mags, other than authenticity?

Appreciate the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts