HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else in here have trouble shooting the 1911 platform? I have a Les Baer 1911 and for a custom gun, I can't shoot it anywhere near the HK pistols I shoot. I don't know exactly why..!!!/? The gun I shoot the best is my 9mm P-30. I just have trouble with the 1911 platform....does anyone else have this problem ?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I've got a Les Baer Premier II, and that thing is laser-accurate. I would say that I shoot it equally as well as my USP 45. . . maybe even better. The LB 1911 trigger is perfection to me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Does anyone else in here have trouble shooting the 1911 platform? I have a Les Baer 1911 and for a custom gun, I can't shoot it anywhere near the HK pistols I shoot. I don't know exactly why..!!!/? The gun I shoot the best is my 9mm P-30. I just have trouble with the 1911 platform....does anyone else have this problem ?
Do you own any other .45's, or are you comparing your LB1911 to a 9mm handgun? How often do you shoot your LB? As is often the case, folks dont usually practice or shoot guns they arent accurate with off the bat and tend to drift to their favorite pistol instead of working on their skills. Kind of like how some people avoid practicing with their DA/SA carry pistols in DA at the range, its harder and your groups tend to open up a lot at first.

I dont know how long you have been shooting your LB but I would say to swallow your pride at the range and keep practicing. We are talking two WAY different triggers here between HK and a 1911. It is rare that a good 1911 with a tuned single action trigger will be harder to shoot. Where are your rounds hitting on the target with the LB? It could be a simple issue of trigger slap or grip. More info would help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A 9 mm has less recoil than a 45 ACP which has less recoil than a 40 or 357 Magnum.

Trigger control is critical. So are stance, balance, weight distribution, breathing, and focus. However, before I shoot a pistol, I'll bench it and see where it hits. Sometimes, it takes sighting the pistol.

At what distance are you shooting? I find my 1911s to be the easiest pistols to shoot. I have an Ed Brown Special Forces, Coonan 357 Magnum 1911, Detonics Combat Master and Mars Armament T.H.U.G. At 7 and 10 yards, I can create a hole with 7 rounds.

I can shoot my Coonan and EB out to 50 and 75 yard 8-10" plates. I don't use match ammo, just Federals or Hornady 230 grains for 45 ACP and the 357 Magnum is 158 grain FMJ.

Critical fundamentals are important and the 1911 needs a high grip. Then, there's error correction.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wow, my LB TRS Commanche is ACCURATE. My friend's LB TRS full size with worked trigger is even more accurate. I do believe it is just a function of needing more time practicing with a different platform, unless there really is something wrong with your particular gun.

Have somebody else shoot your gun, and if there is something wrong, send it in for service.

Cheers
PP

·
Registered
765 Posts
Narrower grip: if you aren't used to it, you're probably gripping it wrong.
ZERO excess trigger movement: If you're used to "stacking" the P30 trigger, the LB trigger is likely going off before you are really ready for it.
Target sights: If you're used to looking through the stock HK sights, especially if you rely a lot on the dots, an all black serrated target sight can throw you off, until you get used to it.

How many rounds have you put through the 1911? Mostly, it will all come down to familiarity.

DRY FIRE! DRY FIRE! DRY FIRE! Make sure you have DUMMY ROUNDS and pay attention to the front sight only while dry firing.

P.S. A Les Baer 1911 and I took 3rd place in the state Governor's Cup earlier this month, only six points below 1st after leaving one round left unfired (worth up to ten points). I promise you that gun can shoot.
P.P.S. my HK went back on my hip after leaving the range.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
I bet it's the added recoil and the different grip... 9mm kicks a lot less than .45

IMHO the 1911 with the very crisp trigger is one of the easiest to shoot guns in the world. Your Les Baer is no exception. Very accurate and well made 1911.

I'm the most accurate with my Wilson X-tac. 1911s are fun to shoot. Just get used at the added recoil from the .45 (versus 9mm) and you'll be fine.

P.S. What springs are you running in your 1911? 16lbs or heavier? That would impact your shooting as well....

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
levels of shooting

You guys are right,I need more time PRACTICING with the 1911 platform. I have been shooting nothing but my p-30 lem...in 9mm....my p-2000sk lem in 40sw....and my 45c lem....I think im so used to shooting the LEM that when I took my Baer back out to the range I SUCKED. Dont get me wrong, the gun is accurate as hell, I'm just not as connsistant as I am with my LEM platform I guess. I guess what I wanted to hear from ya'll was that they are two different platforms. On another note, I stopped by my local gun store today and they got in a whole buncha HK's!...I saw a P-2000 chambered in 357 sig...LEM. that I think I want to get. Unless a 357 sig barrell for my p-2000sk 40 comes available soon somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts