HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, please let me thank HKPro and mods for allowing me to post this. Mods, please feel free to edit my post if it is necessary. This is a fantastic site and I've met some great people here.

I want to share a story and pics about my Uncle Trace (awesome name). This is the man who was responsible for introducing me to the world of firearms and with whom I had the honor of sharing my very first HK experience some 15+ years ago.

Trace was a very serious man, having been honorably discharged from the United States Marines some years ago and moved to upstate New York. He was never fond of kids, but he took a liking to both myself and my younger brother. You see, we were his first nephews and up until then, none of my other uncles or aunts (his sisters and bros) had any kids yet.

I remember fondly visiting Uncle Trace for the first time upstate and he took my brother and I to the range. He spent a good deal of time stressing safety and respect for firearms before we even saw the guns come out of the case. He was patient, yet very enthusiastic when teaching us. We had a great time and more summer trips soon followrd with plenty of trips to a range or a friend's quarry.

Last year, my Uncle Trace, a man in his mid 50's passed away suddenly from an aortic rupture. He was conscious when the EMT's arrived and fought like hell in the operating room for over 9 hours. But with every repair the surgeons made, another rupture would start to bleed. Trace died Jan. '06

Yesterday, I received a package in the mail from my aunt. Photos that Uncle Trace had taken of my brother and I when we would go shooting and fishing with him. I spent the whole day with my bro chatting about Trace and reminicing about the great times we had and what a great man he was to us.
We miss you Uncle Trace and we love you. Your legacy and love of firearms lives through in us.

HK 91 - The very first HK I ever shot in my life. Easily late 80's early 90's when all these pics were taken.

Your's truly with the HK 91. Please excuse the t-shirt & shorts, it was a LONG time ago :D

AR Sportster with HK 91 in the foreground. Classic Ray Bans too!

Ruger Mini 14

My younger brother with the HK 91. I think he was going for the Miami Vice look back then :D

Uncle Trace's beloved Doberman, Rocco. He was a great dog, family member and friend. Great pedigree and police trained. I miss him too.

My Uncle Trace with us at our very first of many visits to the outdoor range. I didn't blur out his face because I wanted everyone here to put a face to the man I respected and love. Sorry about the fingers on the triggers, we were still learning at the time. Trust me, Uncle Trace straightened us out quick.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
cool story.Thats how I kinda got started too.Ironically with the same hardware!

·
Registered
34,527 Posts
Awesome story :) and sincere condolences :( !!!

I wish I had an uncle like that when growing up!

Tony

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Uncle Trace was clearly a cool guy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
what ever became of the Gun's?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what ever became of the Gun's?
A close family friend upstate who use to let us use their property to shoot took possesion of all my Uncle's firearms after he passed. I would have loved to have kept everything, but being that I am in NYC, I couldn't even have half of the fun stuff my Uncle Trace had.

Thank you to everyone for their kind words. I'm glad everyone's enjoying the pics.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Cool memories and photos - thanks! My mom went Home to the Lord this summer - its really hard, I know what youre going thru! Miss her every day!

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is great having shooting memories with family. one of my earliest shooting memories is with my grandfather who passed 7 years ago. very special story.

·
Registered
94 Posts
memories are the best things...my grandmother died last night, she was just here 4 days ago visiting from flordia....imo the lord held off until she could say "goodbye" to everyone...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts