HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not get the bore of my HK 45 clean. No matter what I do there remains some fouling near the muzzle. The fouling seems to be in 3 spots near the grooves. I've tried running patches with hoppes 9 down the bore letting it sit a bit then the running clean patches til they come out clean. Even after the patches come out clean the fouling remains. I've also used a bore snake and a plastic brush with solvent to loosen the fouling with no luck. I've also tried bore scrubber as a last resort. Any other things I could try?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Use a bronze bore brush to clean it out like HK recommends in the manual.

Barrel (with locking block)
Moisten a bronze bore brush with solvent and scrub the bore from
chamber to muzzle at least six (6) passes, back and forth.
• Remove the loose fouling from the bore using cleaning patches.
Run a patch wet with Hoppes NO. 9 through the bore back and forth 3-4 times and then dip the bronze bore brush in it and run back and forth about a dozen times being sure to run the bronze brush completely out through end of barrel before pulling back through the barrel and out the other direction. After that another wet patch and then some dry patches. Repeat again if needed but after the first wet patch let the barrel sit for an hour or so and then clean with wet bronze brush. Do not obsess about getting bore perfectly clean. Also you will never get the first wet patch after bronze brushing to be totally clean and don't worry about it as gray is good enough which is probably bits of the bronze brush itself.

If the wet patches show some blue color that means there is some copper fouling. Leaving Hoppes NO 9 in for extended periods as in several hours or even over night may remove it. If not you can use something else for copper. I like Butch's Bore Shine or KG-12 which works really fast. As always follow instructions for any solvent as some could damage bore if left in too long. A little copper fouling is no big deal either.

Here is a picture of a couple wet patches from me cleaning one of my HKs. The top black patch is first patch wet with Hoppes NO.9 run through the bore after first bronze brushing. The bottom patch is after the second brushing and it is light gray in color telling me the bore is adequately clean. After that I ran dry patches and final patch moist with Breakfree CLP for bore protection. With the first wet patch through the bore after bronze brushing, I remove it after it comes out the end of the barrel. I fold the patch lengthwise.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
I can not get the bore of my HK 45 clean. No matter what I do there remains some fouling near the muzzle. The fouling seems to be in 3 spots near the grooves. I've tried running patches with hoppes 9 down the bore letting it sit a bit then the running clean patches til they come out clean. Even after the patches come out clean the fouling remains. I've also used a bore snake and a plastic brush with solvent to loosen the fouling with no luck. I've also tried bore scrubber as a last resort. Any other things I could try?

Get some Montana extreme copper killer!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have you been shooting non-jacketed bullets? It might be stubborn lead fouling. In that case, a Lewis lead remover works exceptionally well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had the same issue when I first started shooting and cleaning my HK's. I use fireclean, let it sit in the bore while I clean the rest of the gun, then run a bronze brush through it a bunch of times, then run a bore snake through it. It's gets it to about 98% clean. Best I'm willing to do and the bore snake leaves a very thin film of lube in the bore to prevent future fouling. I only shoot jacketed bullets, never any lead reloads. It seems to be a unique issue to HK barrels as I've never experienced the stubbornness of the fouling in any other gun barrel more than my HK's. Doesn't affect their performance and accuracy at all so I'm not really all that worried...

·
Registered
16 Posts
First of all, so what? It doesn't have to be spotless, IMO. However, fill a small jar with Hoppe's and stand the barrel on end for a day or two and go away. Your barrel will not be harmed.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Glad to hear you got it resolved and it was a simple and inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
332 Posts
M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner and M-Pro7 Copper Remover, this is the best product on the market . i use the M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner 90% of the time on all my weapons . as others have stated you need a quality kit with the appropriate bore brushes . after about 200 rds of FMJ my 45's muzzle turn grey, M-pro7 cleans it right up and the bore shines like a mirror . read the reviews
, it works period .

btw, M-pro7 is a cleaner, after cleaning follow H&K's recommendations for lubing the weapon .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts