HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After having my USP 45 for a while, I have to say that I am disappointed. I noticed the grip was kind of blocky at the shop, but I didn't think much of it. I thought I would just get used to it, but I was dead wrong. It is leaps and bounds better than a Glock 21, but still a far cry away from comfortable to shoot, even for a big handed guy like me. I put a Handall on it, and it has greatly improved the feel of the gun and the sore hands from the digging grip dots on the back, but it seems to twist every once in a while which is getting old. The magazine release is also a pain in the finger. If I use the gun for a short session, no issue, but when I am at the range, my middle finger gets a sore spot from being ramed into the release all day. The thing that is upseting me the most is the growing number of problems I am having with my gun. After careful examination I noticed that the magazines are actually splitting in half causing numerous feeding issues and failures. The other thing that is really making my mad is the decocker. I have to really push down hard to get it to decock. I am not being a wuss, I mean it takes both thumbs and a strangel hold grip to get my gun to decock?! My brother is a police officer and has the exact same gun with not a single issue to complain about. I wouldn't call this gun a lemon, but I am sure disappointed with my purchase. I bought this gun for self defense, but my trust in this gun is dwindling each day. Any suggestions on what to do? I am thinking of selling or trading it in, but am wondering if there is anything I can do before I loose a couple hundred on a trade. Thanks.
-mwm

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Contact HK customer service. There was some bad mags that went out awhile back I think they were replacing them for people not too sure though. Plus if something is wrong with the pistol they will fix it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions on what to do? I am thinking of selling or trading it in, but am wondering if there is anything I can do before I loose a couple hundred on a trade. Thanks.
-mwm
Before shooting, try hiking up your skirt a little.

Or maybe try some shooting gloves...

ARKAY

·
Registered
506 Posts
This seems to have become my theme lately. I see a lot of people trying to work around this. The twisting can be from not having the force of the recoil centered through your arm and elbow. A different size grip will move this force to a different place in your hand. Try rotating the grip in your hand until the recoil runs dead center through your arm and "out" your elbow. You can test for this by shooting one handed, VERY slow trigger pull, and seeing if the gun moves left or right during recoil. It can help to have someone watch over your shoulder or video your self, and watch for the movement.
But, the HK USP.45 is a big gun (which is why I totally love it) and it doesn't fit everyone like a glove.
It the glove doesn't fit, you have to uhh-quit using it. LOL
Hope that helps

·
Registered
506 Posts
also, the decocker should not be that hard to opperate. Call HK and/or see a gunsmith.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Did you buy your pistol new, or used. The decocker would be a warranty issue for sure as well as the magazines. My USP .45 Tactical and my USPc .45 have never given me a problem. The grip on the .45 is definitely large when compared to the 9mm and I find the HandAll to make things more comfortable.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . a far cry away from comfortable to shoot. . . it seems to twist every once in a while . . . The magazine release is also a pain in the finger. . . my middle finger gets a sore spot from being ramed into the release all day. . .

the magazines are actually splitting in half causing numerous feeding issues and failures. The other thing . . . the decocker. . . it takes both thumbs and a strangel hold grip to get my gun to decock. . .
As others have said, the decocker and the mags are all covered by your lifetime warranty. Even if you didn't buy it new, talk nicely to Travis at HK, and there's a chance that they may honor the warranty anyway, or at least give you a reduced price to repair.

The other issues you mention give me the impression that the gun doesn't fit you well. I strongly advise that you try a couple hundred rounds out of a USP Compact 45. It is still a big gun (I know you said you have big hands), but it lays in the hand differently than the one you have, and it just might give you the extra comfort and balance you are looking for. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
...I put a Handall on it, and it has greatly improved the feel of the gun and the sore hands from the digging grip dots on the back, but it seems to twist every once in a while which is getting old...
If you are serious about keeping your gun (I hate to sell my guns, and rarely do) try using some glue or an epoxy te adhere the handall in place so it stops twisting around. I had one on a XD and it did the same thing after a while, I just took it off. Personally, the fullsize 45 fits me wonderfully.

...The magazine release is also a pain in the finger. If I use the gun for a short session, no issue, but when I am at the range, my middle finger gets a sore spot from being ramed into the release all day...
Try adjusting your grip as suggested above.

...The thing that is upseting me the most is the growing number of problems I am having with my gun. After careful examination I noticed that the magazines are actually splitting in half causing numerous feeding issues and failures. The other thing that is really making my mad is the decocker. I have to really push down hard to get it to decock. I am not being a wuss, I mean it takes both thumbs and a strangel hold grip to get my gun to decock?!...
As stated before, covered by warranty. Even the best products in life sometimes need to be fixed by a warranty.

I would give the gun a good once over and make sure there is nothing obstructing the decocker from activating. Check the safety / decocker plate / disc (I don't know the official name for it) and be sure that it is not obstructed. (It is the piece on the frame of the gun that has the numbers 1, 2, 3 on it I believe) (my gun is in my safe and I am too lazy to go get it right now)

...I bought this gun for self defense, but my trust in this gun is dwindling each day. Any suggestions on what to do? I am thinking of selling or trading it in, but am wondering if there is anything I can do before I loose a couple hundred on a trade. Thanks.
-mwm...
I would pick my USP hands down if I could only pick one of my pistols to trust my life to. The gun itself is functioning (mostly) just fine. The only problem with the gun itself is the decocker (this may be as simple as clearing an obstruction out to fix). The other problems are magazine and user fit issues.

In the end the gun just may not fit you, and that is fine. Makes no sense to buy shoes that are 3 sizes too small or too big just because they are the best shoes made. If they don't fit you then they are not the best for you.

If we can buy shoes that fit us, then why not buy guns that way too.

L

·
0 Posts
did you ever use a USP prior to purchase? or just purchase one on good faith and find out later you didnt like it?

it's always wise to try BEFORE the buy

·
Registered
870 Posts
A. The magazines and decocker would be covered by HK If there were indeed an issue, so no worries there.

B. If you don't like the "block grip" look in to the new HK45. They have made the grip much smaller to fit everyone hands and it also comes with adjustable back straps so you can make the grip bigger or smaller to fit your individual hand. They have also made changes to the safety /decocker lever, making it longer and essayer to reach, and also redesigned the mag release leaver so it is more user friendly!

I suggest you look in the the HK45, Who knows when it will be on shelves though. A lot of us have been waiting for this gun to come out for a little bit here!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mwm0615:

Exactly the same experience in my USP9f but more diligent to overcoming the shortcomings you mentioned. I tried Hogue Handall, but dump it after the same experience you have.

Like others said, the advantage of having a USP is that they are reliable, downsides are ergonomics and arrangement of controls.

If I am in your position, I will really search a pistol design that will suit me the best and using the lessons learned from the experiences on USP. From that instance, I will purchase 2 or 3 of that pistol design and sell other pistols, including the USP. This will give the mastery I need from a pistol platform that suits me most.

In my case, I settled on HS2000 .45acp (XD but without the Springfield name). This idea comes after my planned battery of shotguns are complete considering the very slow legal processes in purchasing guns in this country.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,647 Posts
I hate to point out the obvious... Could it be that he just doesn't like it? Sure, HK weapons are great and this, after all, is a forum full of HK enthusiasts, but reality indicates that an HK is not going to be the prefect fit for everyone. Of course, this might give us the opportunity to get a relatively new one at a good price?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Did you have your brother shoot it? Does it seem different than his? If so, my suggestion would be to contract Travis at HKCS first. Make sure that there is nothing wrong with the gun or magazines before you drive yourself crazy trying to fix something that you can't fix. I assume that you would want to know that even if you later chose to sell it. Then, as Straitgrain has suggested, decide if you just don't like the gun. It happens. I thought I wanted a Kimber. I bought a CDPII that just felt great. Then I shot it and hated it. I shot it again and still hated it. I sold it and moved on. Maybe you are a SIG, or Glock, or XD, or M&P, or 1911 guy. If you decide to keep it and make it more comfortable, you may want to try the GRIP DECALS like the CUSTOM COMBATS have. AJAX has them for $6.95. I have them on full size and compact 45s and like them. As far as the mag release, I totally agree. I think this is the biggest detractor to the USP. I wish someone would make a larger one. I use the middle finger on my right hand to press it. I started a thread about this once but it was deleted for some reason. HKs are great guns, but not the only great gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. I am going to drop an email to HK about the mags and decocker and see what happens. I shot my brothes USP 45 before I bought mine, and knew that I had small discomfort while shooting it, but I never shot it long and now that I have my own and have shot it a lot, I guess that many of you are right...I just don't like the way it feels and fits. I am in no way of bashing HK and hope that I have not come off that way, I am just trying to find solutions to my issues. Thanks again for the replies and I will do a follow up when HK gets back to me.
-mwm

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am serious about the grip.

My Mark 23 felt like a brick to me when I first got it.
I watched that Todd Jarrett video and what a difference it made.

·
Registered
279 Posts
+++ for the Mad Hungarian. Sort of like golf (which I hate). The grip is half of the game. A little professional coaching or some of the videos suggested may help, no matter what pistol you end up with.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The USP or HK for that matter is not the perfect handgun for everyone, it might just be that its not a great gun for you. On the bright side, they are excellent guns and hold their value well so you can probably sell or trade it for something else that fits you better. This is why it is so important to handle and shoot a gun before you buy it, although I know it can be hard with certain models of certain guns, HK being one of those manufacturers that are often not rented by many ranges.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
If you just can't get it corrected. I will be willing to help you get rid of it!! PM me for my info and I'll take that worthless HK off your confused hands.... Thanks TJ

·
Registered
171 Posts
Like you, I find the USP to be somewhat uncomfortable to shoot after awhile. The square corners of the frontstrap don't line up with my knuckles, and my hand gets fatigued during longer shooting sessions.

This is the main reason why I am looking forward to the HK45.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts