HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be fun to build a PSG1 clone out of a PTR-91 receiver (I live in CA) and was wondering what parts I would need to get it reasonably close to a PSG1. Also, where can I find these parts? I see the trigger groups on gunbroker occasionally but have never seen the forward grips or barrels. I was planning on using a magpul buttstock and clamp on scope mount versus welding on a picatinny rail.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
The PSG1 is a very expensive project.

The two most imortant elements (aside from trigger & barrel) are the reinforcement side rails and the scope mount. Having these welded on would be critical if you are wanted an accurate rifle, if you are simply wanting a look alike or style rifle, then it would be alot cheaper to simply buy a PTR MSG91... my $0.02

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As far as expensive what is the ballpark. I am trying to make it fit in a budget of around $2k. What are the details of doing an MSG-90 type build? I don't see how welding on the scope mount makes a difference versus a well designed and manufactured clamp on scope mount. My Dragunov has no problems holding zero, but then again it is an entirely different design. To clarify, I don't really need sniper rifle accuracy, I would however expect to accomplish designated marksman rifle accuracy (1MOA @ 600)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
it really all depends on how close to the original you want the rifle to be.

plan to spend 7 to 800$ for a match quality barrel
250 to 400 for a 24" JLD or a 25" JOEKEN one

factory butt stocks for a PSG-1 run anywhere from 650 used to 920 new (920 was the quote i got from Fran at franshks he posts on sturm often)

complete trigger units are about 750$

forearms are IMPOSSIBLE to find right now but they go for about 150 i paid 200 for mine but i only got it because a fellow board member was kind enough to sell me his

correct cocking tubes can be purchased from JFK he posts here often and they come with an 21 style charging handle and all the internals for i think about 130$

the black-market-parts.com PSG-1 trunnion is actually a VERY quality piece, i was surprised, or you can go with an IGF trunnion extension.

the factory correct scope is very difficult to find,from what i hear the only way to really get one is to get one off of a demilled or parted out rifle.

i paid 925$ for mine and it came off of a demilled new zealand counter terrorist team rifle the gentleman who sold it to me had it in his safe for 10 years, and i had it shipped here from new zealand.

JFK also makes the factory correct scope mounts (the weld on tabs) as well as weaver tabs to mount a normal ring setup.

he also does the cuts in the bold carrier for the forward assist fora very fair price and turnaround time is awesome, RDTS makes a good copy of the factory forward assist assembly but that too needs to be welded on. he also makes the receiver reinforcement rails

it is alot of work and in CA you would have to make the 10 round mag permanent.

I'm doing mine myself and its not just the cost of parts, its tools also like a press to install the barrel, a park tank, tig welder, sand blaster and misc.

if you have any direct questions just PM me

here's the websites for the company's I've stated

www.RDTS.com
www.black-market-parts.com
www.invesmentgradefirearms.com (IGF)

JFK is the board member who makes alot of stuff also

good luck, you'll need it :)

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
As far as expensive what is the ballpark. I am trying to make it fit in a budget of around $2k. What are the details of doing an MSG-90 type build? I don't see how welding on the scope mount makes a difference versus a well designed and manufactured clamp on scope mount. My Dragunov has no problems holding zero, but then again it is an entirely different design. To clarify, I don't really need sniper rifle accuracy, I would however expect to accomplish designated marksman rifle accuracy (1MOA @ 600)
It all depends on how accurate of a clone you want it to be. To really look like a PSG1, you need the welded on tabs, the welded on forward assist, and there's one step a lot of people skip - 91 receivers have the bumps to lock the scope mount, PSG1s have weld on tabs so no bumps. Urbach actually cuts out the bumps and welds in smooth pieces to get rid of the bumps. His PSG1 conversions run around $3300, and will be ready some time between now and eternity. Probably closer to eternity.

But the features that improve the PSG1s accuracy are - trunnion extension, welded scope tabs, welded receiver stiffener bars. The "silent bolt closing" device is mainly for appearances, unless you're actually trying to be quiet for whatever reason.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You can meet the $2k budget, keep the barrel you have now, get a trigger job, have the receiver rails installed, and pickup a Magoul stock. This will give a nice .5 to 1 MOA rifle without going broke doing it.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts