HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked up a G3 rifle (FMP parts kit). The rear drum sight has some wobble. Even when it's "locked in" to an aperture setting, it slightly rotates about its axis causing the aperture to move left to right. It's not much movement but it's enough to open up the groups horizontally at 100 yards.

I was at a gun shop yesterday and checked out an HK 93 (a real HK one but old/used) and some PTR 91's. Sure as ****, the rear sight on the HK 93 wobbled. I asked the clerk about the PTR 91's and he said they wobbled too.

What the heck? Do they all wobble? Are there a lot of cheap surplus Portuguese sights going around?

Here's a link to some video of my G3's rear sight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsMImKB-GCQ

·
HKPRO PRIME MINISTER
1,291 Posts
G-3 / HK 91 Site wobble...

No,

They don't all wobble like that... A few things that cause the drum wobble are grit, dirt, worn parts and uneven surface beneath the site drum...

The surface area with the spring and ball bearing need to be perfectly clean and smooth for a tight fit...

You may need a new spring and ball detent bearing... Dremel the site drum area with a soft cloth wheel to a smooth flat surface... Make sure the site drum is snug and clean...

·
Registered
376 Posts
All my HK's 91,93 and SP89's rear sights Don't wobble- Rock Steady. But my HK 94 clone/CA94 the rears sights do wobble.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
I've had some that wobble on some old beaters I bought. If it's not just dirt packed into the spring, a new spring and detent ball will tighten them up, but I usually just get the entire rear sight with ball and spring from robertrtg.com for about $12. Besides, if they're wobbly, they also have worn lettering, dings, and scratches and the replacements look almost brand new.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just replaced a rear sight as well, when you remove the sight, push up on the spring. If it compresses to flush with the hole easily, you need to replace it. Should hurt your thumb to get it flush. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts