HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not asking anyone to divulge anything personal about their bank account but I wonder if I'm the only one that sells stuff, saves and penny pinch's to get HK's or are there others out there. Just something I've been thinking about, I'm young and just starting to get really settled down into a good job and starting to save, so are alot of my friends. All my guy friends shoot but it's usally Glocks are anything cheaper than that. I'm the only one out of all my friends and shooting buds that owns HK's... Kinda makes me feel special but also makes me think are HK's for me are or they for the financially well established person? Should I be buying HK's right now? How much money would I save if I converted to a Glock 9mm combo as opposed to my current HK 9mm combo? I think another thing that has me thinking about the ever constant price increase in HK accesories, I mean no offense to HK authorized dealers but the prices do seem to go up fairly often.

I love my HK's, past and present... The USP9f LEM is by far my favorite handgun I ever owned... and I'm not complaining but I'm just wondering if I "should" be buying the less expensive alternative until I'm way more financially sound than I am now. I kind of wonder what the demographics are for HK buyers excluding military and law enforcement.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
HK's are like any other high-quality, expensive item. You either have the money, save up for it or go into debt.

Being in the military, I don't fall into the first category but the last 2. I saved for a few and I have also put a few on my credit card.

It's all about priorities...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think more important to buy what you are happy with, so you spend half as much on a less expensive gun, is that going to make you happier that you paid less or what feels better/shoots better? Agree priorities, personally I can go out and buy multiple guns, but I have many other expensive hobbies , boating , but I choose to purchase what makes me feel like I want not settle for! I could could have purchased multiple guns instead of the Mark23/HK45 I purchased this spring. I am more than happy to have these firearms vs several cheaper firearms. For me quality WAY more important than quantity , just saying.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have to save the guns I want, but I think it makes me appreciate them more. That being said if you think saving for HK pistols takes time, just be glad you don't have the NFA bug yet.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I agree. I can't go out today and buy every HK I want without a little planning first. I have other things going on as well and other things I like to spend my money on....more importantly, I have a wife that would kill me. I save for my new toys and get them when I can without disturbing the communal funds. Quality is what attracts me to HK in general. Why have twenty highpoints when one HK will do without the need for repair after use?
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to save the guns I want, but I think it makes me appreciate them more. That being said if you think saving for HK pistols takes time, just be glad you don't have the NFA bug yet.
I'm not even going to dip my toes in those waters, way too tempting my man.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Right now I am thanking myself for buying all of this years skis that I will need this winter at the end of last season. If I hadn't done that, then I'd have exactly 0 HK's in my possession and an HK MR556 would only be a pipe dream instead of the possibility that it now is. As soon as I get home in two weeks, I'm going to my LGS and putting $1200.00 cash down on one to get it ordered. Hope to have it in my possession by end of July. Then there are all the accessories that go with one of those to consider too.

But guns and skis are only second in expense when compared to women! NOTHING will ever be more expensive than women! Hehehe.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now I am thanking myself for buying all of this years skis that I will need this winter at the end of last season. If I hadn't done that, then I'd have exactly 0 HK's in my possession and an HK MR556 would only be a pipe dream instead of the possibility that it now is. As soon as I get home in two weeks, I'm going to my LGS and putting $1200.00 cash down on one to get it ordered. Hope to have it in my possession by end of July. Then there are all the accessories that go with one of those to consider too.

But guns and skis are only second in expense when compared to women! NOTHING will ever be more expensive than women! Hehehe.
I like the fine print. Lol. Don't put too much accesories on that MR556, a naked HK is very beautiful.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I like the fine print. Lol. Don't put too much accesories on that MR556, a naked HK is very beautiful.
I was thinking more along the lines of cleaning kit, extra mags, ammo.........

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
For the most part, I always have to plan for another purchase or put it on layaway. Now that I've entered into Hk rifles, it becomes even more expensive. Judging by my progression, I'll be entering the NFA realm in the future. I try not to think of the cost! :eek:

But for me, having the best firearms the world has to offer is much more important than a safe full of high maintenance guns that eventually cost you more in the end.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes sir Rocket. Truth be told this is just a all around expsenive hobby, lifestyle, sport. I know without a doubt I will spend more money on ammo than I actually spent on my currently owned HK's.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I am established I guess. I'm a supervisor with an ambulance service and besides child support and 2 car payments, I don't have a ton else to spend my money on. Now don't think I'm rich. I sure didn't get into EMS for the money. But it pays well enough. But I digress. I buy all kinds of guns. Not just hk's. But I'd like to say I have good taste. My problem is getting impatient. I almost sold my USC conversion to buy an SW5K. I was able to keep the USC and get the sw thankfully. But I've been sitting on this USC to ump conversion for a couple months because I keep finding other stuff I want!!!

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
I good friend of mine once told me if the gun doesn't feel great in your hand then don't bother with it. So what is the point of taking a gun to the range that you don't like the feel. I held my usp and couldn't put it down. I bought a usp45t because I couldn't say no for the price. My lgs got the hk45c in and I just could not justify spending $1150 plus taxes on it. And that gun feels great in my hand. I only have hk handguns I have lots of other rifles no hk rifles yet. Not a wealthy guy but buying guns for me, works best when I know what I'm looking for and opertunity meets financial ability. And then trying to sidestep the impulse buys. Oh ya my friend has a handfull of other guns but primarily shoots taurus, he has had a few go back due to problems, or worn out but loves their cs.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
A young HK owner with a few guns is just a future old HK owner with a lot of guns.

If you get an HK, you'll never be sorry that you didn't get something else. If you get something else, you'll always be sorry.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have a job in IT (Infrastructure Admin). My wife and I both work.
A few of the hobbies I have are HK's and smoking cigars.

It does get expensive, but so does golf, buying a boat, etc...
As I get older, my priorities change.
I stay online most of the time because of my job, and always have the HKPRO forum pulled up anytime I am online.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I will never put a gun on a credit card again. I have in the past, but that was years ago. I either have the money and pay cash or use a local gun shop that has a 6 month layaway.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SkyNet, Present Day

1 - 20 of 111 Posts