HKPRO Forums banner

Do you use your HK USP or other HK handgun in competition?

• Yes

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Thinking about it.

Votes: 22 33.3%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit of a 45 nut and I do shoot in several local area competitions, but pretty much just use various 1911's and a S&W 25 revolver.

Now I've got this very nice USP 45f that I've bought primarily for home defense, but I'm curious, do you use your HK for competition? If so, what type of competition and what modifications have you made?

Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
thinking about using a 9 mm fs usp v1 for production. Trying to decide whether to get one with the LEM trigger for competetion. It seems logical to use the gun for competition that you would use for concealed carry in order to be most skilled with that weapon should the need occur. Obviously I wouldn't carry a gun that is modified for light trigger pulls, unless it was an LEM from the factory. Let me know what you decide- I'm very interested to hear what everyone thinks as these are only my opinions.

P.S. I just picked up a sig 226 9mm that i'll be using for production for the time being.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm going to be taking my USP to IDPA when Spring rolls around. It'll be enough to stay competitive. My skills, on the other hand, will be the limiting factor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've shot my USPc .40 LEM, and P2SK .40 LEM in several local IDPA style matches. You wont win shooting against G-34's and tricked out 1911's. But if I do my part, I always finish in the top 1/3rd. I've finished in the top 3 of 20 or so shooters before.

I will be shooting my HK45 in the next club pistol match, so we well see how it goes.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I have been using a glock 19 that has had some work done to it but I will probably start using my P30 next year.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I shoot either my HK USP .40f or HK USP .45f at club matches and at IPSA matches. I shoot the club stock gun match with all my standard on duty gear (private security, not LEO) so I get some practice the way I carry. In just a little less than a year now since I started shooting hand guns, I've gone from complete novice (score x12 that of best shooter) to just a little ahead of the middle of the pack (scores of x2.5 that of best shooter including race guns).
Good fun. I just smile quietly to myself as I watch all the 1911s jam up ... clocks ticking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Only shoot a couple times a month now and shoot a M13 about 90% of the time. Mainly shoot IDPA, but have shot bullseye with a USP Match and a P9S Target 45. Ended up settling on a Smith 52 wadcutter gun for centerfire. Have done pin shoots with a M10 which took the pins off the table with more authority than the 9mm. I have no safe queens. Get out and shoot your HKs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use a Sig 226 Navy and it rocks. I'm getting rid of my P30 because the reset is too long and it will slow me down significantly enough to notice. If it wasn't for the trigger length and reset, I could have lived with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
OH, and a buddy of mine shoots his P2000 LEM and beats out 1911, G34's and everything else under the sun every time he shoots. Hell, he just got back from Iraq, hadn't shot a pistol in a year, grabbed his new P7M11 in a new holster and kicked everyone's butts coming in 3rd. He probably would have done better with a little practice and the LEM he normally likes to shoot. Competative? You betcha'!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I shoot a USP Expert 9 in IPSC Standard division.

Only modifications are (so far) grip-tape and a bit of +2 mag tuning.

I also shoot other national disciplines with it.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I was using my Expert in IPSC standard and I use my P30 in IDPA, 3 Gun an other practical type of competitions. Now I'm thinking to convert my Expert into IPSC Open gun (by means of porting slide and barrel and adding red dot sight) to use it on club level matches (I will still use my Standard STI gun on national and international IPSC matches).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was using my Expert in IPSC standard and I use my P30 in IDPA, 3 Gun an other practical type of competitions. Now I'm thinking to convert my Expert into IPSC Open gun (by means of porting slide and barrel and adding red dot sight) to use it on club level matches (I will still use my Standard STI gun on national and international IPSC matches).
My STI for IPSC and Kimber for Bullseye would be hard to beat, but I think I'll have to give the USP 45 a try in PPC or IPSC matches. I'd like to try IDPA, but don't know of any matches in the Western Illinois/Eastern Iowa area. I'm retired now and go to Arizona each winter, maybe I'll take the USP with me and try a few matches out there...

At my age I don't expect to win, just have a good time with good folks and stay proficient with my weapons. Of course, I then have the pleasure of my second hobby, reloading my ammo.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use my USP .45 in a make shift 3 gun at a local club. This year I have gone more towards DCM rifle matches. But when they run a high power Military rifle iron sight and then at the 600 yard any rifle any scope I have shot my SL8-1 during that match. Works great on the reduced ranges but I have an issue with lack of adjustment with my scope at the 600 yard line.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Been using Kimber TLE 2 for IDPA and IDPA style matches, seriously looking at the P30 or the Hk45 for those, finally have some time off work so have much range time scheduled this week, will let you know.

Bob

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
IDPA - P7M13 this last year and started in the BUG division with my current carry P2kSK recently. 2 wins out of 3 matches so far with the little gem, we do quite like each other :72:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have used my P2000 in local tac matches. I took it to my first one and I beat everyone on raw points, but my times were murdered because the stages were set up for 15 round+ capacity. If I would have had some P30 mags I would have been in business. Now I will be using my HK45 and be at a massive disadvantage (10 rounds) but hey, this is for fun. I never understood why we simulate 1 vs 10 gun fights anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know, a few years ago I promised myself I'd never buy another gun that the caliber didn't start with a "4". You guys are making the P2000 and P30 sound like fun!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our local club runs IDPA, "open", "practical", and three gun, all sort of loosely. I mainly shoot for the fun and to maintain proficiency, as I'll never be a top competitor.

Two years ago I shot USPf and USPc in .40. Then I went to the SIGs, P220 and P226, which I've shot for the past year and a half. My first chance with the HK45 was rained out this past Saturday. I am looking forward to shooting it exclusively for a while in our weekly competitions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts