HKPRO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would love to say I carry a P7, but I haven't owned one since the 90s and I regret selling the 4 that I had...but....kids.

I guess the only drawback to the P7 as a carry or general defense gun that I can think of is the noise of the grip cocking and decocking. Any other gun will make no noise at all and never give away your position as long as there's not a light or laser involved.

·
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The reason I'm asking is that I found an old magazine carrier in my stash, and I sold my M13 probably 15 years ago. I though maybe someone here could use it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The reason I'm asking is that I found an old magazine carrier in my stash, and I sold my M13 probably 15 years ago. I though maybe someone here could use it.
I probably could for the occasional IDPA match I use it in. Daily carry, an extra mag rides in an ankle holster.
PM me Pic & price?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have two of them and i've been carrying them on and off duty in Brazil since 1998... when one was taken as evidence (usually for 3-4 months) the back up went on duty. It is a pretty common occurrence here in Brazil. Now I am retired since 2018 and I usually carry my P220 Compact more often... I prefer the compact .45 since I am too old and lazy to shoot people more than once now 😂😂😂😂

·
Banned
199 Posts
I have two of them and i've been carrying them on and off duty in Brazil since 1998... when one was taken as evidence (usually for 3-4 months) the back up went on duty. It is a pretty common occurrence here in Brazil. Now I am retired since 2018 and I usually carry my P220 Compact more often... I prefer the compact .45 since I am too old and lazy to shoot people more than once now 😂😂😂😂 View attachment 288714
Excellent combo set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I carried the M13 during the last 5-years with the PD while working the detective bureau, retiring in 2018. Carried it in a Lou Alissi shoulder holster...old school totally. Hardly knew I was carrying it at all because it rode so close and balanced so well in that rig in spite of its weight. It's still one of my favorite EDC pieces and one I carry the most. Probably the best combat pistol I've ever encountered being a natural pointer, ergonomically perfect for my hand size, superb and consistent trigger pull, extremely accurate and reliable, and remarkably fast to reload and re-engage on target. Accumulated about 15 mags over the years when it was relatively affordable considering that they're now going for about $350.00 each...crazy. Better grip ergonomics for me over the M8.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know most of us are aware of this, BUT...

Just a friendly reminder that should you fire the weapon in self-defense, your grail gun will be held in evidentiary jail for an undetermined amount of time in less-than-ideal storage conditions and will very likely not be returned to you in the same condition in which you surrendered it.

Which is one of the reasons my daily driver is a Glock. :LOL:

Just food for thought.
Also be aware that in some less than honorable police departments, if it is a rare or unusual firearm (especially a Title II item) it may be ”borrowed “ and be handled or fired to see “what the big deal is”.
From personal experienc.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Also be aware that in some less than honorable police departments, if it is a rare or unusual firearm (especially a Title II item) it may be ”borrowed “ and be handled or fired to see “what the big deal is”.
From personal experienc.
What was their legal reason for taking it?

·
Registered
200 Posts
From personal experienc.
Almost to be expected. Evidentiary weapons are often examined and/or fired as a matter of procedure anyway.

·
Priest of the P7
5,325 Posts
I think the "gun in evidence forever" argument against carrying a relatively expensive gun is pretty myopic. Next to the cost of your defense, even the value of an expensive gun is inconsequential, and you can acquire insurance for both.

Maybe it's because I own many guns, but if I'm facing arraignment the last thing on my mind is going to be what gun the police have in custody. And if you're convicted, they'll take the rest of them anyway.

Really, if you're worried about the expense of losing a P7 to evidence, you should probably just be carrying pepper spray.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I think the "gun in evidence forever" argument against carrying a relatively expensive gun is pretty myopic. Next to the cost of your defense, even the value of an expensive gun is inconsequential, and you can acquire insurance for both.

Maybe it's because I own many guns, but if I'm facing arraignment the last thing on my mind is going to be what gun the police have in custody. And if you're convicted, they'll take the rest of them anyway.

Really, if you're worried about the expense of losing a P7 to evidence, you should probably just be carrying pepper spray.
Well put. I agree 100 percent.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I carried one back in the '90s. Between the rust prone finish, rounds rattling in the mag, and the mag itself rattling around in the the mag well, I decided that the G19 was a better option for me for CCW. A fully loaded M13 rattles like a box of Legos (or a SCAR 17). The weight never bothered me. I still have a couple of M8s and couple M13s. They will always be my favorite handguns, but there are better, more modern, choices for CCW.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Daily an M10…nickel. Flitz polish about 2 times a year to get the tarnish off. Always goes back to looking like new.

·
Registered
200 Posts

No one needs to justify carrying whatever works best for them and/or lends them the most confidence. Expense wasn't even in the equation. I'm not aware of any inexpensive firearms worth trusting one's life to. Again, all else being equal re: performance and reliability, I'll use the most expendable tools in my toolbox. "One mind, many weapons."

They may actually try to take the rest of 'em long before a conviction.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used to EDC my P7M8 ( for about 3 years ). Now I carry a more disposable pistol.
Still carry the P7 ( cross draw ) when I am driving my go fast car because of the seats.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts