HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm considering picking up an MP5 pistol MKE clone to use as a host. Does anyone know the current status of these guns? I want one with 3 lug bbl and FA carrier.

Thanks,

Jake

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
You'll never see an MKE with a FA carrier

True dat... they are made specifically so you can't put a full auto bolt carrier in the gun.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I recall reading that this was going to be 'fixed' with the next round of imported MKE's so that they could be used as hosts.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
I thought I recall reading that this was going to be 'fixed' with the next round of imported MKE's so that they could be used as hosts.
Well none of us can speak for what you remember and what you don't remember. But I read almost everything and I certainly didn't see that anywhere. Well not till you wrote it.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
+1 to what retro said. Possibly your referring to them fixing the issue with the pin coming out but that would not be to allow f/a use. Wish it were so!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Would you guys recommend the MKE's if you're not going to use them as a host weapon?
I think the MKE would make a excellent choice if you are not going to be going F/A with it. I hope to get one one day.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Would you guys recommend the MKE's if you're not going to use them as a host weapon?
Personally, I have mixed emotions about that. Part of me wants to say, "Hey, they sound like they work great and I'm reasonably sure they'd make a great SA-only gun", but another part of me (maybe my common sense part) is saying, "They are about $500-$700 overpriced, since part of the value of these weapons is the inherent capability to become sear hosts. And since you have to buy domestic parts to legally convert them into SBR config, that makes them even more expensive."

So there you have it... my current opinion on the subject.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Personally, I have mixed emotions about that. Part of me wants to say, "Hey, they sound like they work great and I'm reasonably sure they'd make a great SA-only gun", but another part of me (maybe my common sense part) is saying, "They are about $500-$700 overpriced, since part of the value of these weapons is the inherent capability to become sear hosts. And since you have to buy domestic parts to legally convert them into SBR config, that makes them even more expensive."

Yep. $1300-$1500, plus a not inexpensive list of compliance parts required to put a stock on or SBR, plus the possibility that the alphabet folks will get poked one too many times and change a ruling regarding the way the shelf/pin arrangement sits in these combined to shy me away from MKE in my purchasing decision. YMMV, though.

·
Registered
10,237 Posts

Yes... if you leave them as pistols. SBRing them to accept stocks will include all the bull-pucky rules on 922(r) which will elevate the price even higher on a semi only firearm. If you intend to leave them as they are and enjoy them, they will be superb.

·
Registered
47 Posts
not used as a FA they are great. I love mine and it has been flawless. I have no desire to go full auto but maybe some day go SBR. Its funny that people talk about the cost of going SBR with compliant parts yet talk about paying for full auto sears. Not sure the cost of a full auto sear but I am fairly sure it far outweighs the cost to make a MKE into a SBR. If I have the scratch for full auto, I have the scratch for the real H&K deal. If I want to screw around and kill bunnies for far less and dont want to shoot at bunnies full auto this is a good route.

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
n Its funny that people talk about the cost of going SBR with compliant parts yet talk about paying for full auto sears.
Ehhh... what don't you understand? Most of the guys arguing this have had their sears since they bought them back in the day for $300-$450 apiece To us, the cost of SBRing them now, is more than what we paid for the sears themselves.

Besides, if you have the money for a sear, you'd be far better off getting the one sear and a half a dozen clones of different calibers/configurations than just a sear and one or two real, genuine, real deal HK hosts. Then think about what you're going to do to your real, genuine, real deal HK hosts while you are locking the trigger down, watching the bullets smash through car doors, windows, windsheilds and if shooting tracers, besides catching the fuel tank on fire which sets the entire car on fire , all the while the slamming of the rifle butt is thudding into your shoulder as you watch the tracers and the brass rainbow rocket out the side of the gun.

Sounds fun 'n all, but would you rather be abusing a 1K gun or a 3.5/4K gun?:biggrin::biggrin::eek:

·
Registered
404 Posts

So to get one for an AOW project = good idea???

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
For SA only (let's take the sear host thing out of the picture for now) I still think the MKE's are a damn good alternative. Sure you can get a Cohaire for less, but you can get a Turnfab or IGF clone for more. Face it, the Cohaires are good guns once they are running correctly, but you are taking a gamble that it will run well out of the box. That's fine though, as they are cheaper. If you want a gun that is most probably going to run 100% right out the gate, then you will probably go with MKE, IGF or TurnFab. Of those, MKE's prices prices are reasonable.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
For SA only (let's take the sear host thing out of the picture for now) I still think the MKE's are a damn good alternative. Sure you can get a Cohaire for less, but you can get a Turnfab or IGF clone for more. Face it, the Cohaires are good guns once they are running correctly, but you are taking a gamble that it will run well out of the box. That's fine though, as they are cheaper. If you want a gun that is most probably going to run 100% right out the gate, then you will probably go with MKE, IGF or TurnFab. Of those, MKE's prices prices are reasonable.
You can not remove one of the key elements pertaining to value and then talk about price. That's like saying, "Other than the extra nose and third eye, she's a beautiful woman."

·
Registered
167 Posts
^^^^

This seems to be a common conception among those with sears on HKpro. I can understand why from *your* perspective the inability to take a sear is a huge minus and a deal breaker. I am willing to wager that most of us do not have sears and therefore your comment does not really apply (sure, there may be a slight re-sale disadvantage when selling to a sear owner or potential sear owner, but as stated, a vast majority of the shooting public does not own a sear and likely never will).

Something that we (the sear-less) don't have, and may never have, is not a cause for concern or a much of a negitive against the MKE. As the poster 2 posts above said, if you want to go cheaper and perhaps have to do some tinkering get a Cohaire. If you want something reasonably priced that likely runs out of the box then get the MKE.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Well, I hate to disagree with ya, but... Yes I certainly can. I will never have the money for a sear, unless I hit the lottery, in which case this discussion is moot. To me, personally, I just can justify the expense. I love to shoot FA, but I am almost always gonna find something else I would rather spent $10-12K on, so I really don't see it as a key element of it's value. To me it's just an option that I don't necessitate, therefore, I see no reason to allow it to factor in to my judgment when deciding which 9mm clone I'm gonna get. To those who choose pay that much, and to whom this might be a serious issue, I'm glad that you have made that decision, and I wish I could myself, but I just can't.

To me, the worth of having a SP89 clone made on HK-licensed tooling, that runs great out of the box, and is within spec justifies the cost of the MKE.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Full Auto part aside, what "Shattered Mind" said makes perfect sense to me. If you are looking to use the MKE as it comes out of the box, then it is a wash compared to the Cohaire guns. But if you might want to eventually look at changing the configuration, then the Cohaire gun is the way to go. A domestic produced clone has more options for less money if you wish to change the configuration of the gun. A simple upgrade like adding a 3-lug to a MKE would be very expensive. The Cohaire already has it. The MKE as a SP89 clone is great. But anything other than as the factory shipped it the MKE is much more money for most any configuration change.

Scott

1 - 20 of 31 Posts