HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here!!!! A great forum with people that appear to be very knowledgeable and willing to help. I am trying to make an educated and informed decision before I spend my very limited retirement income on a nice handgun. I have spend time on the Sig Forum and find a situation that keeps coming up on Sig manufactured handguns:the slide is either quite loose when you buy it or it will shortly become loose. I handled a new Sig 239 in a gun shop and the slide rattled on the frame, brand new. It appears that a loose slide does not affect accuracy but adds to reliability, as the lockup that is important is slide to barrel. l have narrowed my choice down to two guns, H&K USP full size 9MM and a Sig 226 9MM, and after handling and shooting both I can't decide because both were superbly accurate and completely reliable and fun to shoot. I would be happy with whichever one would be the most durable and remain the tightest over the years. I will be using the gun for target and plinking etc. So, after this lengthly first post.....will the H&K USP full size or the Sig be the most durable and remain the tighest? Again, I know the looseness of the slide probably doesn't matter but I don't want a gun that rattles!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
They are both beautyfull hand guns. I would say that the H&K is probably a wee bit better engineered but the P226 is another great piece of full size 9 mm.
I own a P226 but have shot a lot of H&K ... also own a P2000.

Finally, I would say that you have to choose in how you want to handle these guns !

P226 > Basically a "ready to use" with decocker.
USP is more classic ... safety lever ... blabla.

I've never saw a P226 with a rattleling slide !? Mine is just perfect after thousands rounds.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome! Based on every HK that I have fired, owned, or handled, USPs and other, I have never felt a loose one. This is one of the many things about HKs that has impressed me. Nice tight fitting, with great build quality, while still maintaining 100% reliability. I don't think you can go wrong either way but I for one would go with the HK. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
hey rick, you should try out the new p30. it has adjustable grip panels and is one neat gun. it is easier to conceal than the usp. you will like it. stick with hk, you won't go wrong. good luck in your search.

·
Registered
802 Posts
HK's will flop around over time also like any other production gun. Unless you get a gun that had the slide hand lapped into the frame, they'll all shoot loose.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Normally I would say it would come down to your preference since both guns are excellent, but I have heard a few Sig horror stories lately about quality control. It may not be as big of a problem as it has been made out to be, but it was enough to make me stay away.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I bought a USP40 that was in the first batch produced. I've got between 10-15K rounds thru it. The slide is almost as tight as the unfired one I have.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I have a USP40 and SIG 229. Both are as tight as they were from day one after about 1000+ rounds through each.

The USP, however, when slide open, rattles more than the SIG. And cocking the gun, the USP makes more "chatter".

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have had several Sigs and HKs over the years and have had great experiences with both. I have yet to experience excessive slide to frame fit in either model line. Not to say that a somewhat loose fit is enough to condemn any handgun. We are talking about firearms that are designed to pass and function in military applications. A hand fitted 1911 might work 100% in match type applications but would give someone a hell of time in a combat scenario.

Based on my experiences with hundreds of handguns I go HK all the way. Also based on the number of handguns I have not sold / traded for another brand of handgun, HK is the one to go with IMHO. I have owned multiple Sigs and HKs but the ones that seem to stay in the safe are HKs. I love my 220 and it is a tack driver but I would sell her off for a good deal on a mASS compliant HK any day of the week!

·
Registered
31 Posts
All I can add is that it's very easy to engage the slide lock lever with your right thumb while shooting, thereby not locking the slide back on the last round. If you have any tendency toward a "high thumb" I'd avoid the Sigs, or plan to change your grip.

·
Registered
390 Posts
hey rick, you should try out the new p30. it has adjustable grip panels and is one neat gun. it is easier to conceal than the usp. you will like it. stick with hk, you won't go wrong. good luck in your search.

+1
The P30 feels better in my hand than the USP or Sig.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've never seen a Sig or a HK with an excessively loose slide. With the slide locked back, if you shake a gun you'll hear a little rattling, but it's not the slide moving on the frame causing the rattle.

Bottom line, if you take care of a Sig or HK, it will last forever basically. Both are the 'best of the best' when it comes to combat handguns.

As far as Sig QC, the issues were with the finishes on CPO's flaking off. If you buy a refinished CPO Sig, and the finish flakes off, Sig will pay for postage both ways and replace the gun. If you're buying a new one, or a full stainless model, there's nothing to worry about. My most recent Sig was purchased a few months ago and it's been flawless, no FTF, no FTE, no nothing. You can expect the same thing from HK.

You'll be happy with either one, both have their strong points. The HK is lighter, the Sig has the better trigger. The HK has.. the Sig has.. and so on.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You'll be happy with either one, both have their strong points. The HK is lighter, the Sig has the better trigger. The HK has.. the Sig has.. and so on.
Exactly... just find the one that fits your hand best & you really can't go wrong with either. Like others posted as well, you may want to give the P30 a try before you make your final decision though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have onwed a 239 and a Sig pro. They were tight and shot well. I have had the best made 1911s out there. A Les Baer was so tight it was rediculous. I never had a Sig or HK rattle at all. I ended up in the end with a P30. A Sig is a good gun However I am a HK man with a P30. Lets us know of your decision.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have onwed a 239 and a Sig pro. They were tight and shot well. I have had the best made 1911s out there. A Les Baer was so tight it was rediculous. I never had a Sig or HK rattle at all. I ended up in the end with a P30. A Sig is a good gun However I am a HK man with a P30. Lets us know of your decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only thing that I can think of to push either way, and I might just have bad luck on this, rather than having found a failing in the designs.

The USP (and ALL other polymer framed pistols that I have experience with actually) does seem to have more temperamental springs, so it doesn't fire as wide a variety of ammunition reliably as a steel framed pistol. So depending on what kind of ammo you're going to shoot, that might be something to look into at least.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts