HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up a used HK USP compact in .40 S&W, but I have the usual reservations about buying a used gun. SIG offers a service where they will replace springs, inspect, and advise on any work that needs to be done. Does HK offer anything similar?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would not hesitate buying a used HK.

·
Registered
382 Posts
yes.. send to James and maybe upgrade while you are at it...

I bought a used USPC 40SW awhile ago and the flat sear spring broke.. but some of them were known for that.. I sent it to HK (before I joined this forum). They replaced it no charge and gave me a written observation of the rest of the gun... (no issues!!)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why? Most people barely ever shoot. The avg gun will probably last 3 lifetimes before needing spring changes

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
Why? Most people barely ever shoot. The avg gun will probably last 3 lifetimes before needing spring changes
Agreed. Some people treat buying used guns like it's buying a 15-year-old used car with 120k miles when they're actually extremely simple machines and USPs in particular aren't going to wear out for 99.999999% of users.

·
Registered
594 Posts
People who spend the coin for an HK usually don't abuse 'em. All the used ones I've ever found were in excellent shape. I'd just lube it up and shoot it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'd wager if you call up HK customer service and ask if you can send it in for them to have a look over, they'd be happy to. Maybe a small fee. People have posted correspondence where HK recommended sending in guns to be inspected by their armorers every 10,000 rounds.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The last USP 40 I bought was used but if the Shop owner hadn't told me I wouldn't have known it other than the smell of Hoppes No 9 ...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
About half my HKs were purchased used, all were in great condition and perform flawlessly....if you'd be more comfortable, I'm sure HK would give it a look over for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
About half my HKs were purchased used, all were in great condition and perform flawlessly....if you'd be more comfortable, I'm sure HK would give it a look over for you.
Over half my HKs and about 90% of my gyns are police guns and I only own one new gun. Never sent a single one in. From Sigs to HKs to Glocks. All have been excellent from the first shot

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'd shoot the gun first.
Hks are bombproof.
Unless abused it will run perfect.
I agree, even if it looks to have been abused. If it doesn't work you can send it in.

I don't know if it is possible for a USP, but some guns can get hammer-fall if someone ****ed with the fire control parts. While you should always point a gun in a safe direction, that is especially true when its a newly acquired used gun.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
For me it would be peace of mind.
It may not be necessary, but having a certified armorer do a complete inspection of a used firearm, especially when used for HD or EDC and not just for range use, would just make me feel better.

·
Registered
768 Posts
If your gun works, I wouldn't bother sending it back in. About the only thing that really needs replacing are springs. And many of those springs can be replaced by the user, obviating the need to send it back in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts