HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this picture:

There are what appears to be iron sights similar to what you would find on a pistol on the top of the carry handle. I'm wondering if this actually is some kind of sighting system to serve as a closer range option over the 3x scope.

If these are sights, are they non adjustable? Do you have to adjust the entire carry handle assembly to sight them in, and then sight in the scope afterwards?

I'm just curious because they caught my attention when looking at a photo, and I thought it was a good alternative to the dual optics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm no major H&K Afficianado. But I'd say those are definately iron sights. My guess though would be that they just don't work as good as meant to. Maybe if they had tritium dots. Or if they were replicated after the type of sights found on a 1911 handgun.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yep, they are makeshift Irons for close quarters stuff.

I think the G36 page on HKpro Index has it written somewhere.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha, yes it does.

Above: The G36K with single reticle 1.5X weaponsight. Note four prong flash hider reminiscent of the HK53 series. Very effective at mitigating muzzle flash. What is not obvious from this photo is the rough pistol sights that can be used at close range instead of the reticle. They are molded into the carrying handle. These sights cannot be used on the gun below, which has the optional red dot sight piggybacked on the handle. It blocks the rough open sights.
Alright, good talk. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hate to be the grammar police on this one, but technically speaking, those are not "iron" sights.

First, they are not made of iron. HK uses a polymer material. :D

Second, one of several proper terms to describe this type of sighting system is blade and post.

How many of you use clips in your HK firearms? :cool:

I know, I know, just flogging a dead horse... (where's that emoticon when I need it?)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course, you're correct. Proper terminology often strays from my mind when I need it most. But I never say clips incorrectly ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts