HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a rifle from a very honorable member of this forum, really love it and shot it for the first time yesterday, here is how the primer strike looked (primer on the far right is from an FN FAL for reference).

Gun went bang every time, just wanted to make sure that the primer strike from HK-style 7.62x51 rifles is supposed to look this way?

Thanks guys, I realize I'm a noob but you guys have helped a lot before... :D

Appreciate it,
Chipsndukes

·
Registered
93 Posts
looks kinda light, but its been a while since I shot mine. Stange indention though, almost looks like it was struck and then pushed back from the pressure or something. Maybe some more advice from someone who has shot there 91's more that once in the last year. Dear lord I need to get out to the range.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
looks kinda light, but its been a while since I shot mine. Stange indention though, almost looks like it was struck and then pushed back from the pressure or something. Maybe some more advice from someone who has shot there 91's more that once in the last year. Dear lord I need to get out to the range.
That's what I noticed too. The strike on the first two look very strange; the third one looks about normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so I guess it's not normal?

I'll get around to breaking the bolt down and looking at the firing pin, lika said never had it apart, is brand new to me.
Suppose a new firing pin wouldn't be too expensive?

THANKS!
Chipsndukes

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
OK, so I guess it's not normal?

I'll get around to breaking the bolt down and looking at the firing pin, lika said never had it apart, is brand new to me.
Suppose a new firing pin wouldn't be too expensive?

THANKS!
Chipsndukes
Just $6 from robertrtg.com.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, was harder than I thought to get a picture of the firing pin.

Doesn't look broken...

Does this look right to you guys?

Spring weak, something else, suggestions?

again, APPRECIATE THE HELP OF ANY AND ALL!!!

Hope she's OK, she sure is a beauty...

Chipsndukes

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't notice the last round was shot with a different gun. Since it was, I'd bet you do have a broken or worn firing pin.

PS yes, last primer strike is from the competition (FN) :D, think HK can handle the heat... ;)

Anyhoo, THANKS GUYS!!!

Chipsndukes

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Im not soo sure that looks normal, but i've never seen a PTR 91, or factory HK 9X series firing pin before. But every other firing pin i HAVE seen, is round, not flat.

It looks as if the firing pin is hitting it the right way, but the firing pin is not normal. It could just be an excessivly worn part, nothing serious, but if its not normal it would be in your interest to replace it ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im not soo sure that looks normal, but i've never seen a PTR 91, or factory HK 9X series firing pin before. But every other firing pin i HAVE seen, is round, not flat.

It looks as if the firing pin is hitting it the right way, but the firing pin is not normal. It could just be an excessivly worn part, nothing serious, but if its not normal it would be in your interest to replace it ;)
Thanks, compared to the (albeit fuzzy) picture on the www.robertrtg.com website my FP looks a little short...

I think it's busted and time to get a new one...dat strike can't be normal.

OK, any more opinions?

Thanks guys, Chipsndukes

PS what other (cheap) accessories should I get for my factory rifle while I'm paying shipping from robertrtg???

:D :D :D THANKS!!!

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Thanks, compared to the (albeit fuzzy) picture on the www.robertrtg.com website my FP looks a little short...

I think it's busted and time to get a new one...dat strike can't be normal.

OK, any more opinions?

Thanks guys, Chipsndukes

PS what other (cheap) accessories should I get for my factory rifle while I'm paying shipping from robertrtg???

:D :D :D THANKS!!!
Yes, it is most definitely time to get a new firing pin. It should be smooth and round on the end. While you're ordering from him anyhow, you might want to pick up a few other things, a lot of used 91 type rifles also can use a new rear sight drum (some get some play in them), and cocking handles can get chewed up.

For a few spares, extractors, extractor springs, and ejector levers are some good items to keep on hand.

·
Registered
242 Posts
One other thing I'd get if I'm placing an order from Robert Johnson. I'd replace that windage knob on the PTR with the correct HK windage screw. He has them for something like $3. The knob on the PTR seems to stick out kinda far and is easy to knock it or snag something, so I replaced mine with the screw. Looks better to me also. AKATTACK

·
Registered
280 Posts
+1 for replacing that out-of-spec firing pin.

And while you're ordering parts from RobertRTG, buy a bunch of other spares to maximize the shipping charge hit. Several spare firing pins & springs, a spare $12 NIW locking piece, some spare standard and oversize rollers, spare roller retainer plates and roll pins, hammer spring, stock pins, extractors, ejectors, etc.

Oh, and I'm Tagging this for the followup post of "I can't get my bolt carrier back into the gun because the rollers are stuck out". :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A bunch of really helpful guys would expect nuttin less from a great community...

For a few spares, extractors, extractor springs, and ejector levers are some good items to keep on hand.
Robert must be a "straight up" guy, list spare parts on the website, PTR-91 is new but will get some stuff to make the shipping--MAGS for sure, cheap and it only came w/2...

One other thing I'd get if I'm placing an order from Robert Johnson. I'd replace that windage knob on the PTR with the correct HK windage screw. He has them for something like $3. The knob on the PTR seems to stick out kinda far and is easy to knock it or snag something, so I replaced mine with the screw. Looks better to me also. AKATTACK
Heck, for $3 (and it says it's RARE), I'll try anything :D
Thanks for the tip AK !!!

Oh, and I'm Tagging this for the followup post of "I can't get my bolt carrier back into the gun because the rollers are stuck out". :D
LMAO, been there, done that, can't believe how EASY these rifle is to work on, it's an engineering marvel but not as fragile as the AR (IMHO!!!!!!). Don't have much experience with either but have one of each (a few others too).

I was scratching my head, but as usual, like for Mauser bolts, and other puzzles, lotsa smart people post good info, thanks eric, after a quick pull on the bolt head and tucked the rollers in got it back home...

Will post what I buy like an FYI and THANKS VERY MUCH for the help, maybe should've been in the noob forum :eek: but ya guys helped me anyways.

Thanks,
Chipsndukes

·
Registered
195 Posts
anyone else here think that just old high pressure military ammo?

Seems normal to me for old military stuff....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

look at the primer strike on the far right, they look really shallow compared to the FAL.

Guys, here is the shopping list I have so far from RobertRTG, any changes necessary?

2 X firing pin $6
1 X firing pin spring $2
1 X like new surplus mags 10 X $30
2 X large retainer / push pin with spring $2.25
1 X small retainer / push pin with spring $2
Extractor $5
Spring for extractor $2
2 X roller New $3.50 (8mm)
2 X +2 Roller New $5 (8.02mm)
1 X Retainer Plate for rollers used $3
1 X Roll Pin for plate $1.50
1 X Windage Screw $3 Rare

Thanks,
Chipsndukes

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,550 Posts
Your pin does looked flattened on the end in comparison to my PTR91 pin which has been fired about 200 times.

·
Registered
589 Posts

Look at the shape of the strike. Notice the crooked little line across the whole impression about 1/3 of the way from the left on casing #1. Now visually rotate casing #2 about 35 degrees counterclockwise and compare. Now look at the firing pin. Notice the jagged little part running top to bottom about 1/3 of the way from the right? It looks broken to me. FWIW, my PTR's fp is round on the end.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts