HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the range with my MP5-22. I ran 3 types of ammo tonight:

1. Federal 36-gr HP HV 550 round bulk from Walmart
2. CCI 40-gr standard velocity (1070 fps)
3. CCI 40-gr quiet (710 fps)

I loaded up 5 rounds of each going from loud to quiet. Federal being at the top of the mag, then the CCI SV, then the quiet. There is a distinct difference between them all, but the CCI quiet is not usable in the MP5-22. The standard velocity stuff being subsonic is noticably quieter the the Federal. I was expecting there to be little difference in the 2 types of CCI ammo, but the quiet sounds almost as quiet as suppressed .22. The only problem, I had to manually cycle the gun because I was getting a fail to eject every single time. I'm going to save the CCI quiet for the bolt action.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
There is a HV adjustment screw on the bolt. You turn it clockwise a few times to use HV ammo. Did you turn it back when you fired the CCI quiet?
I have both Federal bulk and CCI Mini-Mag and they are both great. Have not tried the quiet type yet.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a HV adjustment screw on the bolt. You turn it clockwise a few times to use HV ammo. Did you turn it back when you fired the CCI quiet?
I have both Federal bulk and CCI Mini-Mag and they are both great. Have not tried the quiet type yet.
I didn't know there was such a thing. I'll have to play with that. I'm going to assume its on the HV settings but who knows now. Thanks for telling me that.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
It's in the manual, page 19 "10.4 Setting of the Bolt Speed", skull. Basically, for HV ammo, make sure the screwhead is flush with the bolt head surface, then using the supplied Allen wrench, turn it clockwise 9 times to achieve max performance. However, do not turn it more than 9 turns. For SV rounds, turn it counter clockwise to decrease the bolt speed.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
CCI Subsonic runs perfect in my Ruger 10/22s and is so quiet you don't need hearing protection. I have to assume this "quiet" is a different load

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
CCI Subsonic runs perfect in my Ruger 10/22s and is so quiet you don't need hearing protection. I have to assume this "quiet" is a different load
CCI Ammunition - New Products

CCI® Quiet-22™ .22 Long Rifle
Set your 22-caliber LR rifle to stealth mode with the new CCI® Quiet-22™ rimfire round. Ideal for bolt-action and single shot .22 LR rifles (and perfectly safe in semi-automatics), this new reduced report cartridge generates ¼ the perceived noise level of standard velocity .22 LR round. Perfect for areas where noise may be a problem and ideal for introducing youth to the shooting sports, the Quiet-22 allows for safe shooting enjoyment without hearing protection.

FEATURES & BENEFITS
• Ultra-quiet plinking round in 22-caliber LR rifles
• 75% reduction in perceived noise of standard velocity .22 LR
• Standard CCI .22 LR case
• Excellent accuracy and low velocity (710 feet per second)
• Better performance than an air rifle with similar noise levels
• No hearing protection required
• Great for backyard plinking and youth shooting
• Ideal for legal shooting areas where noise may be a concern

NOTE: These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual
cycling of the action may be required.

MODEL
Part No. 0960
Looks interesting. I'm dying to get some of this to use with my suppressor.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
You can't typically shoot a wide range of ammo in a semi-auto. If you have it sensitive enough for the weak stuff, the powerful rounds will beat the bolt and or buffer to death. If you tweak it for the powerful stuff, it won't cycle the weak stuff. That's just the laws of physics.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
So it's not intended for semi autos, anyway

·
Registered
160 Posts
Retro, if you're anywhere near an Academy Sporting Goods store take a look as I saw CCI Quiet 22 on the shelf at my local Academy.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
So it's not intended for semi autos, anyway
Like many of the low power quiet rounds, it's safe to shoot in semi auto rifles or pistols but you might have to hand cycle them.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I just ordered 1000 rounds of this stuff. 500 for me and 500 for a buddy. Did I mention that I really want to see what this stuff sounds like out of my Cobra M2 suppressor? :wink:

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Retro, if you're anywhere near an Academy Sporting Goods store take a look as I saw CCI Quiet 22 on the shelf at my local Academy.
What was the price?

I ordered it from CTD. They usually get stuff to me overnight. But I have to pay shipping and tax.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I just ordered 1000 rounds of this stuff. 500 for me and 500 for a buddy. Did I mention that I really want to see what this stuff sounds like out of my Cobra M2 suppressor? :wink:
I just wish that my 9mm and .45 ammo were priced the same as the .22LR :wink:

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I just wish that my 9mm and .45 ammo were priced the same as the .22LR :wink:
The good news is that they are. The bad news is that they are out of stock.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What was the price?

I ordered it from CTD. They usually get stuff to me overnight. But I have to pay shipping and tax.
The Academy suggestion was to just try it out, because they were around $6.50/box. Palmetto State Armory has them for $2.49/box with free shipping, just ordered 20 boxes.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Like many of the low power quiet rounds, it's safe to shoot in semi auto rifles or pistols but you might have to hand cycle them.
Sure, it just kinda defeats the purpose of a semi

1 - 17 of 17 Posts