HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went shooting yesterday and brought my USP 40 LEM full size duty weapon. I had approx. 3 failure to feeds on the last round of my magazines.... the mags are the ones I carry on duty and have the Lone Wolf + mag springs installed. Now I'm wondering, should I download 1 round in all my duty mags to help stop this from happening? What would cause a last round ftf with the stronger mag springs? Dirty ammo? I know the gun was pristine when I started but we were shooting Tn Cartridge Co. reloads....

Any help fellas?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Josh I would think the ftf were ammo related. Downloading your duty mags may/may not help. Was this at the Dept. range or a local Saturday shoot with friends?

My ccw package never gets changed once I got it sorted out as far as mags/ammo/pistol. The only practice I do with the ccw, is with the ammo/mags/pistol that are carried.

The range guns, I will try various setups for ammo/mag combos, a failure there isnt serious with a range gun - a failure with the ccw is very serious.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think the failure to feeds were ammo related? I guess that could be the case, but it was always with the last round on a specific mag...

I cleaned it real well today, disassembled the mags and cleaned those as well. Maybe I'll go shoot it again and see if I can identify the mag that is causing the problem.

P.S. It was just a Sat. shoot with friends.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Downloading your magazines by one wouldn't change anything.

The first round loaded into your magazine (the last one to be fired) doesn't care how many are on top of it. All that matters is that the follower is right below it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So was it due to the ammo, you think? Maybe I should bring some duty ammo and see if I can replicate the problem.

·
Registered
503 Posts
could be ammo
could be riding the slide with your thumb
could be dirty
could be one of the mags that does not stack right every time, I have one that will stack wrong and only take 9 rounds sometimes, just empty it and refill it
could be limp wrist but I don't think that is a real problem
could be springs. Springs are the most likely reason
I agree that downloading to one less round will make no difference.
and yes absolutely you should test with some duty ammo

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's got to be the ammo. I shot this weapon over 3,000 times in the academy and had I failure to feed...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Huh.. when I saw the thread title, I thought someone was asking about downloading USP mags from the internet and printing them out or something.... weird.

I can't really offer any advice beyond what the others have said...

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Mag-springs

If it always only happens on the last rounds in the mag, it is extremely likely to be mag-springs.

If you are using 13-round mags, the HK mag-spring part# is 214212, and the Wolff Gunsprings +10% mag-spring part# is 78571.

If you are using 10-round mags, the HK mag-spring part# is 214850, and the Wolff Gunsprings +10% mag-spring part# is 78671.

Wolff magazine springs available factory-direct at www.gunsprings.com :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
What website are you downloading these mags from? I'm gonna get me a couple!! lol :20000000: I've tried this too and it doesn't seem to help. I would suggest changing mag springs. Go with wolf springs they always seem to help

·
Registered
383 Posts
I doubt it's ammo related, it's a magazine problem.

The chances of having 3 FTC, all on the last round, 3 times in a row isn't going to happen without something else being at fault. QC with ammo these days is too tight.

Your mag springs need to be replaced.

Get some new springs, clean your mags, and all should be well.

I'm thinking the spring isn't strong enough and it's not pushing the last round up fast enough as the slide is coming forward. This would make sense, since it's only on the last round, when spring tension is at it's lowest.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's weird; when I was issued the weapon I upgraded all the springs to the 10+. I've got a couple more, I'll try swapping it out again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's weird; when I was issued the weapon I upgraded all the springs to the 10+. I've got a couple more, I'll try swapping it out again.
What kind of ammo are you running? Are your mags nice and clean and do you clean them often? I'd try changing ammo first. Is your feed ramp nice and clean?Do you have this trouble with any other pistols? as someone else stated it could be you letting your wrist break too much the .40 is usually a snappy round and I've had a few friends have the problem with their wrists.

ETA: here's a link to some springs I was bored and found some for you. http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/HecklerKochNF.html#USP

Also is that quote in your sig line from when the SWAT team shot that man down in Florida for killing an officer and his K-9?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I run Federal HST as my duty ammo, the plinkin ammo I use is from TN Cartridge Co. They're all reloads.

I'm pretty sure it's not a limp wristing problem, I own quite a few Glocks and I've never had problems with them mis-feeding... or anything else.... due to a limp wrist. I appreciate the idea, I'll keep an eye on it next time I shoot.

Yes my quote is based on a news conference stemming from that incident.... I'm not sure if I quoted it verbatim though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts