HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, but all I could find was mill/drill sizes for the trunion.

I have 3 scenarios: a used factory triple tree with a new barrel, a used tree with a used barrel and a new tree & barrel.

I'm assuming I won't need an end mill for the new tree & barrel since the US tree is already milled flat for drilling, but I want to make sure. Since I don't have the parts in my hot little impatient hands yet, I can't measure them for sizing - but I'd still like to go ahead and order the tooling so it'll get here right after the parts do.

So, do I need an endmill? If so, what size? If I just need a carbide bit, time & cutting oil, what size should that be? I plan on silver soldering the tree first and using a boresighter for alignment.

Also, do I NEED a vertical milling machine or will a heavy drill press be OK? I'm eventually going to pick up a mill (still can't decide between a new large benchtop or a used bridgeport J-head due to electrical requiremens and future CNC conversion capability), but that'll be months from now and I don't want to wait to assemble my MP5(s) if I don't have to.

TIA

·
Registered
10,256 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
5mm. The eyebolt is not a press fit; it should install fairly easily with some light tap from a plastic mallet. You'll then need to peen the open side to snug it up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that size for an end mill or a carbide bit? (assuming new barrel, new sight) I have a drill press I can use now, if I have to use an endmill, then I'll have to buy a mill first.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
How do you think the owner of the firearm felt? That was done to a $2000 factory MP5 "French" parts kit. *shrug*

Just take yout time and follow good machining form. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good lessons learned.
No kidding. After seeing those pictures, I've decided to just go ahead and order a mill. I'm sure I could do an OK job with a press, but as a mechanic, I know having the right tools can make all the difference when it comes to time, ease of work and quality. If I can get better results with less effort, it's worth it - especially since this is my first HK build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts