HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any drills one can practice to get oneself out of a predicament when a shell jams??? I have an M1S90 and I love it to death but I bought it before I knew of the M3 (a much better design)... It seems as if it would be a real pain in the @ss to eject a faulty shell especially if one found themselves in a panic/emergency situation. At least with a pump option one can rack the pump until the gun fires but I don't see the logic with a no pump option....? I should have done more research. I hate to think that my $250.00 Mossberg is a better defensive tool than my $$$ Benelli.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think you are better off with your Benelli than the Mossberg. The Benelli is just as reliable as ANY pump IMO if you know your weapon and take care of it.

I am not an LEO, so I do not take any training class (but I should). However, I am an avid bird hunter and I do a lot of shotgun shooting.

The most rounds I have put through my Benelli M1S90 800 shells at a Sporting clays/ bird shoot at the local hunt club. Even with that many rounds fired my Benelli kept working and only gave me one or two minor issues. Compare that to “reliable” Remington 870 pump which I have short stroked while hunting and locked up the whole gun, making the gun useless. Not good and not good in a high stress situation.

I do know that hunting and the high stress of a LEO situation are not the same, but a gun can still jam, and you still need to be quick.

I have found in the field that if your Benelli will not fire simply rack the bolt with your support hand, and that should clear the jam to keep shooting. You can do it in one motion by sliding you support hand from the forearm in a "pump action motion" and use your the back of pinky finger to rack the bolt.

If that does not work leave the shotgun on your shoulder and index the shell release with your trigger finger and rack the bolt again and you should be able to keep shooting.

If you want to practice buy some dummy shells and work on it in you home.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You can learn just about anything with enough practice. You can come up with your own Tap/Rack/Bang method of clearing a jam. You could:

Put on the safety
Pull and lock open the bolt
Clear the problem
Release a shell from the magazine tube
Push the bolt release

I believe this will work with any type of jam. It may cost you 2-5 seconds, but the more you practice the faster you will become.

My Benelli has not jammed since I bought it seven years ago. I only put about 250 rounds through it a year. I use Remmington target loads from ****s. I have a friend who competes often, he has had his bolt lightened and has a small two shell carrier installed on the receiver. He is jamming once every other competition. He can't get it nailed down. Another friend has one that has jammed once in the past two years. He shoots about as much as I do. We physically compared all of our pre-ban models. There are minor differences between them. If I were you, I would have a competent gunsmith or Bennelli take a look at it. I would buy one brand of ammunition and stick with it. I would attach nothing extra to my shotgun.

The whole reason the M4 is gas operated is because of the problems you encounter while attaching everything but the kitchen sink to today's tactical shotguns. The M1S90 just can't tolerate the extra weight.

JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts