HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is addressed to those that drive a car in California with a hand gun on-board.

Reviewing the applicable information on the internet I've concluded that any hand gun must be transported in the trunk of a car. If your car does not have a trunk (pick-up, SUV, etc...) then it must be unloaded, in a locked hard case and not readily accessible. How about ammo? I see that ammo and guns cannot be stored together in the car. How do you keep the ammo separate?

I'm not asking for legal advice but would like to know how California drivers transport their guns in their car. What makes you guys feel comfortable when driving in California with your sidearm?

Cheers, VegasPier

·
Registered
643 Posts
I turned 18 in California and grew up learning about the gun laws there so that I would never get in trouble with them. I usually transported any weapon that I had in a range bag or case with it locked. It could be a backpack, a suitcase, or a gun satchel. I always transported them in my trunk. This just let the officers know that I did not have immediate access to it if they ever looked in my trunk. When I got a pick up truck, I put a gun rack in the rear window. I would transport my rifle or my shotgun right behind my head but had no immediate access to the ammunition. I only got stopped once and it was in the canyon on a dirt road in the national forest. The cop saw that I could not get to my ammo very quickly, and he just made sure that the weapons in the gun rack were unloaded. As far as pistols went, I would do the same thing and lock them in a bag or a satchel or container in the trunk and have the ammo in a different container in the trunk. Believe it or not, some cops are pretty cool when it comes to that sort of thing. If you are upfront with them and let them know that there is a gun in the trunk but you're transporting it to the range to go shooting or back home then they really don't care. They just don't want to find it in your console--> loaded. You can lock your pistol in your glove box, you can lock your pistol in your console. But make sure they are not loaded and make sure that you do not have any loaded magazines. A loaded magazine and California constitutes a loaded weapon. I know that's BS, but that is how they see it. I did not stay there long enough to get my carry conceal permit, my parents still have theirs even though they are now in Texas. It is possible to get a carry concealed weapon permit in California, it just may be difficult to deal with certain law enforcement officials. There County Sheriff actually encouraged people to get a CCW permit. If you can get or already have your CCW permit in California, the rules do change to help you. You can carry whatever weapon that is allowed on your card without unloading it or putting it in your trunk. Without going into all of that, my advice to you for transporting any pistol or rifle if the just have it in the trunk or you can't get to it and locked in a separate container either hard or soft. I don't know the rules on what they want you to do now as far as the case goes, but again it's just to let the officers know that it is locked up separately from your cell or the ammunition. And once you do leave your house with a rifle or other firearm in your vehicle, make sure that you are going straight to a legal place. Buy legal place, I mean that you are in direct route to someone's home, a gun range to shoot, or a gunsmith. You do not make stops like you are running errands when you have a gun in your vehicle in California. Don't stop to get gas, don't stop to eat lunch, and don't stop to go shopping at Sears. As long as you are in direct transportation between point A and point B they cannot fault you for transporting a firearm as long as it is a legal firearm. And drive careful and you won't have any problems.

·
Priest of the P7
5,243 Posts
My impression of California is that everybody is waving a gun out the window on the freeway ;)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I drive a mini van, I store guns, ammos and magazines in separate case/box and lock them. Then I lock the keys for those boxes in another box. I also drive very carefully when I have guns and ammos with me to avoid be stop by CHP or cops.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Dude u can store loaded mags and the handgun in the same locked box. Key word is locked and not the glove box. Just don't have the mag inserted.

·
Registered
156 Posts
:650:Kommiefornia, its a beautiful state but its full of libtards

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am a refugee from what was the once beautiful state of California...

·
Priest of the P7
5,243 Posts
Oh, it's still beautiful...just filled with dipshiits.

·
Registered
43 Posts
FINALLY! I thread that I can participate in and increase my post count. :) Before I begin, I'm a CA Police Academy graduate, an un-sworn employee for a FLEA, and also work at a gun range holding an NRA RSO cert and CA DOJ Instructor cert. That being said, I carry on my person. I've had my LTC for 2 years and have educated many on CA firearms legislation. Do you CA folks live in areas that are "may issue"?

I drive an SUV so non-permitted pistols stay in locked cases. If the mags have ammo, they're outside the magwell. If they have none, at least one mag is in the magwell. Long guns must be cased while in a municipal area, but do not need to be locked unless passing a GFSZ. I just lock the cases any ways. Case in point, you may place multiple firearms into one bag/case and lock the bag/case. Each individual firearm does not need to have it's own lock.

Now, a locked container is NOT the same as the stupid safety device lock. That's for securing away from children and holds no bearing on transport. Locking your firearm with one of these does NOT satisfy the locked container law. Don't be the guy that walks around with an exposed firearm in a municipal area. Use common sense.

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
Lawdy, who can keep all that straight?

I have the ATF Disc that they give FFL's with all the State Laws that are in addition to all the Federal laws. Calif. wins with 69 plus pages of laws on everything you can think of. Some states are as little as 4 to 6 pages.
And it is the 2011 version I can only imagine how it has grown.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I couldn't help but click on this thread. It amazes me how California has no respect or concern for the Constitution. What part of "shall not be infringed" does CA not understand. I carry my firearm all the time loaded where ever I go. I don't follow unconstitutional laws like the ones CA has in place. I love CA and the beauty of the state (I lived there for 2 years), but you couldn't pay me to live there ever again. I'd carry concealed in all of the liberal states, but unfortunately no one is going to come to my aid should I be arrested for carrying my constitutional right to defend my family or myself. What good does a locked firearm do in a car unloaded if the need arises where you need to use it in a defensive situation? I guess common sense says to tell the bad guy/s to stop doing what they're doing so you can go get your firearm and then load it. All the more reason to live in Alaska or other states that respect the Constitution.

·
Registered
43 Posts
+1 with a higher concentration in Hollywood and Sacramento.

No, no, not Sac. San Francisco rather the entire Bay Area (North, South, SF, East). We're just bitter and pessimistic in Sacramento because of the idiot politicians, but the non-hipster folk are great.

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
I was referring to the Dip****s in Sacramento that actually cast the votes that take out 2nd amendment rights away little by little each year. Not the people of the city.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I will also chime in since Kali has some of the most egregious example of bizarre rules and conditions.

Proposition 47 -- essentially removes the enforcement arm out of property crimes. Criminals know this and petty property crimes are escalating. Decrimininalization translates to more crime in this particular case.

The measure requires misdemeanor sentencing instead of felony for the following crimes:
Shoplifting, where the value of property stolen does not exceed $950
Grand theft, where the value of the stolen property does not exceed $950
Receiving stolen property, where the value of the property does not exceed $950
Forgery, where the value of forged check, bond or bill does not exceed $950
Fraud, where the value of the fraudulent check, draft or order does not exceed $950
Writing a bad check, where the value of the check does not exceed $950
Personal use of most illegal drugs
Local LE agencies are told that if an officer sees a car break in -- the criminal should be cited for a court appearance and released ...

So what this means is that if you are visiting in Kali -- DO NOT let anything be exposed in your vehicle. Smash and grab is a big hit in any urban area. A federal BLM agent lost his service pistol in SFO which led to the tragic shooting on the waterfront of a young woman -- perpetrated by an illegal alien living in a 'sanctuary city - by the Bay by the way.' Avoid having your guns in your car if you can. There is a reasonable possibility it may be stolen. Getting any stolen and recovered firearm back is almost a year's process of bureaucracy and red-tape.

Be aware of the prison 'realignment problem.' Most of the Kali's overcrowded prisons are located in the Central Valley and when the state lets prisoners out due to decrimininalization and early release, these not so nice gentleman are let out in Central Valley towns like Fresno, Stockton, Bako and Modesto ... and you guessed it -- crime is up in these areas.

I have known local LE officers to 'chain up' their guns in lock boxes in their vehicles to delay or deter theft of their duty weapons -- because many are required to be armed during emergency call outs when they are not on duty or with their families.

Unfortunately, Kali is where bad ideas come from that infect the rest of the nation. The ruling party is always probing for soft spots and seeing how it was be received by the public. If there is no push back, this party pushes further.

In general, it is unsafe in Kali and you are not allowed to protect yourself. Criminals have rights too ... you know ... in the PRK.

DD:eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts