HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home from work this morning and on my way into the house, my P30 fell to the driveway and got a couple scratches on the frame (not too deep). Me having OCD about that kind of stuff, I'm wondering if a very fine sand paper will buff them out. Anybody do this, or just leave it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're probably right, I guess I'll just have to deal with it. It's not that bad. I didn't buy it to be a safe queen, so it is what it is!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe that the result of using sandpaper will draw more attention to it. It might be time for a custom stippling job if it bothers you that much.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If it were mine, I would not worry about it. As a carry piece, it will show wear over time.

You should see my old Beretta 92 Compact...I was hiking up a steep cliff in Colorado and it slipped out of my holster and tumbled down the the side of the cliff about 400 feet. Needless to say, it had quite a FEW scratches and gouges.

That was ten years ago and it still is one of my favorite (beat up) guns.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Rented a cabin last week. Had my P2000 laying inside my towel on the side of the hot tub. My wife gets out and decides to grab my towel rather than hers. "THUMP"

Luckily the head of the TLR-3 I had on it caught most of the impact. Like almost everything else I own, all damage is created by someone else.

Oh well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Its a tool! unless it affects function leave it. If you are concerned don't carry it and transport it in a case. for me i love when my carry guns get some holster wear and patina it shows its becoming part of you like an old pair of jeans...

KZ

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Well i highly doubt a few scratches will affect reliability. Let it be. How did your pistol fall out? No holster?

If you get extremely bad holster wear in the future you could always get it redone with NP3+.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I have two stories to share:

1. My sling came undone when I was walking to the car. My AR hit the pavement and landed right on the hood of my EOTech. A nice chunky scratch and at the time I was really upset. I thought about buying a new hood for it, but now I think it makes the gun look "tougher."

2. My ex-gf was shooting my AR after I had put about 4 mags though it. She finished and put the barrel down right on top of my USP-SD frame! I quickly moved it, but it burned through the decal grip. There is a small mark on the frame, but other than that you can't really notice it. Good thing I had the decal grip on there. We all like to have our stuff looking show room nice, but at the end of the day they are guns and it's hard to keep them looking fresh and new while still getting to run them hard and enjoy them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One night I came home and saw a light on in our shed/garage that should not have been on (no one was home at the time). I drew my HK45, opened the side door,and went in. The shed has two rooms on the left side of the main garage stall. After I had cleared the main stall I quickly cleared the first room directly to my left. I then quickly pivoted to clear the other doorway, and as I turned the slide of the gun smashed into some iron hooks that are on the wall between the two rooms. I cleared the second room quickly and then looked at my gun. I was lucky as there was not even a mark in the finish. LOL

As it turns out, someone had left the light on during the day and it had remained unnoticed until I got home. I kinda wish that it had left a mark on the finish, just for the character it would add.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You can't un-ring the bell. Forget about it and move on.

Unless your name is Wes. Then we'll bust your onions forever.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Got home from work this morning and on my way into the house, my P30 fell to the driveway and got a couple scratches on the frame (not too deep). Me having OCD about that kind of stuff, I'm wondering if a very fine sand paper will buff them out. Anybody do this, or just leave it?
Am I the only one wondering exactly how this happened? Holster failure? User error?

Anyways, don't fret the cosmetic stuff, you'll probably make it worse by trying to sand it out. If you're using it right, you'll get wear, dings and scratches. Frankly, i'm surprised this hasn't become a fad in firearms for mall ninjas to ding and dent up good guns to add the appearance of use/character for street cred. Sort of the "shabby chic" of firearms. Mark my words; this will happen.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You can use some fine emery paper and wet sand the gouges out slightly. I don't recommend this for cosmetics but more so to take all the ruff edges off so you dont catch your pistol on your clothing while drawing. Other than that, enjoy your fire arm and be safe.
Kravur

·
Registered
219 Posts
The only way to "blend out" the scratches is to mask the frame and lightly bead blast the areas of concern with fine media. If you use sandpaper or Scotchbright pads you will smooth over the texture of the frame. Bead blasting maintains the texture by peening the frame with a bunch of small glass beads rather than abrading it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
How did your pistol fall out? No holster?
Am I the only one wondering exactly how this happened? Holster failure? User error?
I am far from OCD, but this would bother me to no end. Maybe you could redirect your disorder (Is that a psychological method for treating OCD?) into this part of the incident, rather than dwelling on a blemish?
I'm pretty OCD too and can honestly kind of feel your pain, but I gotta ask: Is the driveway OK? These HKs are tough.
OK, that actually made me lol. I've asked my kid similarly about hurting the corners, doorframes, etc. in the house when they start whining about running into them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts