HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,386 Posts
I dry fire mine all the time. Never had any problems with any of my four P7series weapons. There are some folks who will never dry fire any weapons. To each their own.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Re:

+1 for snap caps only. I have Azoom snap caps for every firearm I own.

Damage from dry firing comes from overtravel of the firing pin into the space that is normally occupied by the primer. This can damage the firing pin spring or the pin itself.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I'll get some snap caps.
John

·
Registered
802 Posts
Dry firing without a snap cap shouldn't damage a properly designed gun. Now, P7's do suffer from breaking the drop safety catch as there are at least 3 different revisions of the part. If you own a P7, you should keep a spare of both the catch and the spring on hand.

·
Registered
166 Posts
+1 for snap caps only. I have Azoom snap caps for every firearm I own.

Damage from dry firing comes from over travel of the firing pin into the space that is normally occupied by the primer. This can damage the firing pin spring or the pin itself.
^^^^ What he said. Snap caps are cheap. Firing pins, not so much. The P7 series firing pins are very easy to replace, which is nice. On many other semiauto pistols, they can be very difficult to 'skilled gunsmith only' territory. The Beretta M9/Model 92FS comes to mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts