1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Wow, I didn't even know it existed.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have a couple of those scopes (one marked for BGS and the other army marked) but no G3 mount. Mine are mounted on top covers for the G1. I bet that mount wouldn't even fit a G3 as we know it but would fit on the early licensed built CETME's. There are shades of one of the experimental FG42 mounts to be seen here.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
BTW....EXCELLENT find on those pictures!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!
I'm familiar with the scope but don't own one. Sold my 2 G1's so I never pursued looking into one after that. They don't come cheap either!...congrats on the two you have.

As you said, the early CETME/HK receivers were different than today. The early receivers didn't have the tabs for mounting a scope, they didn't seem to appear until '59.
The photo of this rifle is dated 7/60. As you can see, the tabs are cut different. Notice the back plate...CETME design.

..which leads to another mount that was around between the one I have in question and the claw mount that everyone is familiar with.
The illustration shows a '61 date. Notice the back plate has changed.

The CETME-58 or Model B had no provisions to mount a scope, nor have I ever seen one with a scope. I'm assuming the early mount used for this type of receiver was only snapped in place by means of a spring tab(s) on the mount. I'm sure this type of mount would slide forward during firing.

Spain improvised their claw mounts for the model C due to the same issue. The extra piece wraps around the rear sight to keep it from moving.
HK incorporated a provision into the rear sight mount when they went to the diopter...it does more than just line up the mount to the tabs.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Interesting bit of history, thanks.

·
Banned
34,591 Posts
Thanks!
I'm familiar with the scope but don't own one. Sold my 2 G1's so I never pursued looking into one after that. They don't come cheap either!...congrats on the two you have.

As you said, the early CETME/HK receivers were different than today. The early receivers didn't have the tabs for mounting a scope, they didn't seem to appear until '59.
The photo of this rifle is dated 7/60. As you can see, the tabs are cut different. Notice the back plate...CETME design.

..which leads to another mount that was around between the one I have in question and the claw mount that everyone is familiar with.
The illustration shows a '61 date. Notice the back plate has changed.

The CETME-58 or Model B had no provisions to mount a scope, nor have I ever seen one with a scope. I'm assuming the early mount used for this type of receiver was only snapped in place by means of a spring tab(s) on the mount. I'm sure this type of mount would slide forward during firing.

Spain improvised their claw mounts for the model C due to the same issue. The extra piece wraps around the rear sight to keep it from moving.
HK incorporated a provision into the rear sight mount when they went to the diopter...it does more than just line up the mount to the tabs.

I have the scope mount in your second picture (marked "A")--- a Hensoldt/Wetzlar DIAPI-D (2 1/2x17,5) is mounted to it!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
This is my kind of thread!!! LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apex had a limited number of the F4 scopes earlier this year. They were offered with the VNP-009 night vision scope as a combo.
If you were lucky to get a working VNP it was a good deal...knowing how my luck works, I passed.

·
Banned
34,591 Posts
Apex had a limited number of the F4 scopes earlier this year. They were offered with the VNP-009 night vision scope as a combo.
If you were lucky to get a working VNP it was a good deal...knowing how my luck works, I passed.
I remember this back in June, 2016--- if I recall correctly, only @ 3,500 Model F scopes were produced!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Imagine that! I'll be looking forward to a write up on HK/CETME scope mounts....with credits of course!

Get them into my hands for photographs and I'm on it!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

I'm right there with you pal. That's exactly why I passed too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts