HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a KD (1993) USP 9F. Will a new style firing pin and block fit my slide? I thought I would purchase these items in case of a firing pin failure. Is my year USP prone to firing pin breakage? Thanks in advance for the information.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't believe its necessary to replace or buy these parts for spares unless its a duty pistol and you have no backup. My USP is a 03 and I havnt had any problems with mine. If you wish to replace the old style with the new you will need to replace the firing pin, firing pin block, firing pin spring and pin block spring.
Money better spent on ammo and practice.
Enjoy, Kravur

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I don't believe its necessary to replace or buy these parts for spares unless its a duty pistol and you have no backup. My USP is a 03 and I havnt had any problems with mine. If you wish to replace the old style with the new you will need to replace the firing pin, firing pin block, firing pin spring and pin block spring.
Money better spent on ammo and practice.
Enjoy, Kravur
I agree, HK guns are made to last. That includes the firing pin. If it broke, you could always send it back to HK and they would do what needs to be done to get it running again. I don't know how common firing pin breakage is. I've never heard of such a thing before.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have you been the sole owner since 1993? The real question comes down to how much has it been dry fired. If I were the original owner and did not dry fire it, I would not worry about it. Otherwise, I would replace with a new original firing pin. If I wanted to throw extra cash at it, I would replace with the new style pin,block etc. Personally, I would try to keep the gun as original as possible.

One thing that is interesting about the KD 9mm guns is that they basically have the heaviest slide of all the USPF's, in later years they lightened the slide on the USP9. With the early guns, the thing I would be most concerned about is if the slides were heat treated properly; some KE guns had soft slides. The way to check is to take off the slide; remove the barrel, look INSIDE the slide where the top foremost part of the chamber area mates against the slide. If the slide is soft, that area will start to deform; you can test for the deformation by running your thumb nail across the top inside part of the slide and out to the ejection port (top most opening); it should run smooth with no "catches"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts