HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything Ive read so far say that early Vector V93s are good to go?

I have the chance to get one in great condition (could pass for new)...german barreled.

Thoughts?

·
HK Shooting Team
2,820 Posts
Anything Vector is a pure crap shoot....might work, might need help, or might be completely fubar!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have one. It is built on a MKE receiver. Rails were not pressed properly and you cannot use an a3 stock on. I had Jeff Walters add a rail. Gun functions well but due to the issues of the receiver I am planning on u
sing this for a parts set and have Jeff rebuild the gun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Early Vectors are the most consistently good Vectors, but I am always suspicious of an unfired or little-used inexpensive firearm (in general) and check them more closely to make sure that the reason it was barely used isn't because it is a bad firearm.

Here is a list of things to check. If a seller sees you bust out a list, a set of feeler gauges, and a flashlight, they know you're going to be serious about a possible purchase.

1) Check the bolt gap.
2) Check for smooth cocking function.
3) Check for roller marks on the rear of the receiver.
4) Check to see if the "buffer" in that A2 stock is cracked or damaged.
5) Look at the base of the hammer to make sure it isn't gouged at the base indicating an incorrectly welded front grip frame shelf height.
6) Check to see that the magazine inserts and removes freely (make sure bolt is to the rear and locked open with the cocking handle parked).
7) Check the bolt carrier sides for excessive wear.
8) Check the insides of the receiver with a flashlight to see if there is excessive wear or gouging where the carrier makes contact with the top and bottom of the side rails.
9) Look at the top and "nose" of the carrier to see if there is excessive wear on the top of the carrier indicating an improperly rolled receiver.
10) Remove the bolt and carrier assembly and look down the barrel to make sure the chamber flutes and rifling looks good.
11) Look down the top of the rifle while holding it in a shooting position to see if the front or rear sight are canted indicating improperly rolled receiver.
12) Look for metal shavings... oh, don't worry about that, this isn't an MKE.
13) Check the bolt head for gouges on the sides or anything odd on the face.
14) Check the bolt head rollers to make sure they are round and don't look like they have flat spots or gouging.
15) If you're comfortable with removing and replacing the bolt head, remove it and look at the locking piece for unusual wear top and bottom and sides.
16) Check the firing pin and spring for unusual wear.

The early Vector V93 and V53s were built up from Malaysian parts kits which were well made rifles, good barrels, and hard steel internals. They are good rifles and the reputation of Vector in the roller locked world was built on these rifles. There is a stinker in every bunch but the early Vectors are the most consistent.

Don't pay over $1000.00. Period.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
This one is the one before the location and ownership changed. Probably circa pre 2005
Sounds like you know more about Vector Arms than the average roller locked fan. That's good. If you're sure about that manufacture vintage just buy it... but check the bolt gap. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
My V33 was built on a MKE receiver. The only issue I had with it. Was with the trigger group. The safety worked all the time. So no matter how hard you pulled on it. It just never fired. They sent me a new trigger pack and it became a dependable rifle. My V51 has always worked with out a question. I call it the crowed pleaser. I sold the V33 because I fell into a pristine HK93 and it got voted off the island by the membership here.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been around MP5s just not the 5.56 variant. So I now my way around a roller gun. Appreciate the input guys. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
There is some very good information here. One thing I came think of that I don't think has been mentioned is the original barrel. If it is an original barrel the twist rate is 1/12. This is great for 55 gr ammo. If you usually use 62 gr, the 1/12 twist rate won't stabilize the bullets and there will be accuracy issues. Also, if you are thinking 33K "down the road" for this rifle, a 1/12 twist barrel might not be the best choice, as a barrel shortening and rethreading is far less expensive than a rebarrel refinish.

Scott

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I won't be chopping this rifle. Will keep it as a proper full clone.

I use both 55gr and 62gr...got access to both. I'll be ordering some more Wolff Gold 223 55gr ammo. I am very excited to finally be able to have a HK33 variant (even if its not an HK).

·
Registered
930 Posts
One more reply. I would skip this and look at the new flat that RTG is coming out with and then look at having one made. I am not that happy with mine. Flat was not rolled squarely and the rails were not pressed correctly. I rather get a Century C93 and have the barrel repressed first. Of all the clones the weak spot is the 93 style clones because lack of a good flat right now. Hopefully that will soon be corrected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought the early ones actually had new 16" barrels with a faster twist. An easy way to tell is the barrel length i.e how far the barrel sticks out beyond the triple frame/front sight tower. The Malaysian surplus barrel are like 14.5" long with the flash hider permanently attached. In general with Vector the earlier the better.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Negative. Early early ones had the German HK33 barrels (15.4") meant for Malaysia...the new ones had the 16" 1:9 twist green mountain barrel. I think pre 2005 rifles were German barreled...from the research I've seen.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Negative. Early early ones had the German HK33 barrels (15.4") meant for Malaysia...the new ones had the 16" 1:9 twist green mountain barrel. I think pre 2005 rifles were German barreled...from the research I've seen.
Well I am sorry to inform you mine is circa 2006. New barrel and MKE receiver. It shoots good but can't put an a3 stock on it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well shoot...I guess we won't know what we get until the rifle is in our hands...lol

Any one have a picture of how Vector pinned the flash hider when they used the 15.4" German barrels?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts