HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between a SP5K or Brethren Arms MP5 and I plan to make whatever I get into an SBR. When doing so, I plan to stay 922r compliant. So if I go with the SP5K, I want to see what I'm in for. Of course with the Brethren, this is all moot.

I've found a parts list on HKparts (MP5 922r Compliant Parts) but I'm not sure what's easy and what's hard to do. In reading here, I saw that the trunion is tough so that's out.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but don't have much of a workshop. I can turn a screwdriver and push some pins in and out with hand tools.

Also, I don't want to spend another $400-500 in parts to stay compliant. I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred on top of the stock. Otherwise it makes no sense for me to go with the HK over the Brethren.

My initial take is that these parts would be the easiest:

Charging handle
Forearm
Stock
Bolt head (expensive)
Bolt carrier (expensive)
Trigger pack (expensive)
Trigger group (expensive)

Does it make sense to take the HK plunge? Or should I just stick with Brethren?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
354 Posts
If you can afford to spend $2200 on a genuine HK product, what's a few hundred more for 922r compliance?

There is a thread about all this which we have been having already, and the old timers here like to rag on newbies for not using the search function, but I beat them to a response, so check out the conversation, in this thread.

You can use USA made magazines and there are two parts there: follower and floor plate.

HKParts will be coming out with a trigger pack giving you a lot of 922r compliance in one fell swoop.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,530 Posts
Get the SP5K, Form 1 it, and leave it German. End of story.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can afford to spend $2200 on a genuine HK product, what's a few hundred more for 922r compliance?

There is a thread about all this which we have been having already, and the old timers here like to rag on newbies for not using the search function, but I beat them to a response, so check out the conversation, in this thread.

You can use USA made magazines and there are two parts there: follower and floor plate.

HKParts will be coming out with a trigger pack giving you a lot of 922r compliance in one fell swoop.
I found that thread before posting and was still left with my question. :)

How easy are the trigger packs to replace? From what I've seen in YouTube it looks pretty easy...but they also make field stripping a Ruger mk III look easy too and I refuse to do that anymore to mine. ;)

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,530 Posts
So, you are suggesting he simply ignore the requirements of Federal Law 18 U.S.C. § 922(r) of the 1968 Gun Control Act?

All German.... Do what you want with yours, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that I've never met anyone or hear of anyone who got arrested for not complying with 922r.

.... at least not as the only offense one may have committed.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,530 Posts
That crossed my mind...but I don't want to deal with the ramifications. Got too much to lose.

I'm sure you've read this post before:

922(r) and Sporting Purposes

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=219730&share_fid=1748&share_type=t

Just realize there have been multiple other posts stating another opinion to 922r. Take some time to read them and make up your own mind.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/153396-922-compliance.html

·
Banned
354 Posts
Is that because of the cost and effort involved to SBR the HK?

As I said there are certain participants on this forum who enjoy hassling new members. You just met one of them. Ignore him and move on. I think you **will** be happy taking the time and spending a bit more to go the whole HK route. You said you have a budget of $2,000-$2,500, and I'm sure you can squeeze in a few hundred more. You can find good deals, still, on the SP5K...but don't wait.

Here is a link to some of the best prices presently available.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Regardless of whether you should be 922(r) compliant, 3 easiest compliant parts that I use are sear, trigger, and hammer. The other 3 could be handguard, stock, and CH. They don't cost you $400 to $500.

ETA: SudS beats me to it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent info!!! Thank you so much!

I arrived at the $400+ price based on swapping out the whole trigger pack. I wasn't sure how easy the individual parts would be to swap out. If it's a straightforward swap, I'm interested in that route.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
So, you are suggesting he simply ignore the requirements of Federal Law 18 U.S.C. § 922(r) of the 1968 Gun Control Act?
Some people are of the opinion 922r doesn't apply to SBRs, myself included. It is not an opinion shared by the ATF. The law does not specify.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,530 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts

All German.... Do what you want with yours, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that I've never met anyone or hear of anyone who got arrested for not complying with 922r.

.... at least not as the only offense one may have committed.
That's a HK94 I assume. If so, 922(r) does not apply. It was lawfully imported in non-sporting configuration, thus it can stay in non-sporting configuration without regard to 922(r).

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Excellent info!!! Thank you so much!

I arrived at the $400+ price based on swapping out the whole trigger pack. I wasn't sure how easy the individual parts would be to swap out. If it's a straightforward swap, I'm interested in that route.

Thank you again!

Another thing to remember is that once you file your paperwork to SBR your new SP5K, you will have another 8 months to save for the necessary parts.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,530 Posts
Yes, HK94 conversion to MP5N. Pretty much how I understand 922(r). It's a making/assembly offense, not a possession offense.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.