Premium Member
154 Posts
Nope, you're not the only one!

V

·
0 Posts
Conceal carry permit in RI

Fellow Rhode Islanders,

What does one have to do to get a conceal carry permit in this nasty state? Any advice? The AG reserves the right to approve or deny applications at his discretion. In RI, they claim the conceal carry permit is a privilege, not a right.
The funny thing is (actually pathetic), I have friends who were granted the permit because of who they know, and these people couldn't hit a barn door from 6 feet away. They are totally firearm ignorant. My guess is they didn't even have to take the proficiency test at the range either. This burns my butt. . ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fellow Rhode Islanders,

What does one have to do to get a conceal carry permit in this nasty state? Any advice? The AG reserves the right to approve or deny applications at his discretion. In RI, they claim the conceal carry permit is a privilege, not a right.
The funny thing is (actually pathetic), I have friends who were granted the permit because of who they know, and these people couldn't hit a barn door from 6 feet away. They are totally firearm ignorant. My guess is they didn't even have to take the proficiency test at the range either. This burns my butt. . ..
I have my CCW and I think i can hit the barn door. I also have it in MA, CT, NH, FL and my C&R FFL. If you do not have a good reason the AG will most likely deny it. The police chief in the town you live in SHALL issue you a permit, but most of them tell you to take a walk. Read the state statues (spelling?) on this, if you have a CCW in any other state, then any police cheif can issue you a permit. Rhode Island and most of are next door states S*ck about CCW. Contact Citizens' Rights Action League of RI - www.cralri.com - they might be able to help you and read the measage boards to see how other people are making out. Remember it is RI and it helps to know someone.

Good luck and let me know how you make out, any other question please let me know.
Brian

HK P200sk 9mm
HK Compact .40
HK Tactical .45
HK Match .45 black
HK Match .45 SS
Ect........

V

·
0 Posts
Conceal Carry Permit

Brian, Thanks for the input. Just for the record, my comment about not being able to hit a barn door is applicable only to a few people I know who are politically connected, not all people w/ conceal carry permits. I would never make a such a statement.
I will check out the web site.

Thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm from RI as well, I don't think it's likley that you will get a LTC in RI unless it's for work purposes only. It total B.S.!!!!! I think RI is 1 of only 10 states that restrict a citizens right to carry and conceal!

·
None Sluttier
79 Posts
between May and December you'll see me prowling the beaches of SoCo thru 'gansett. i might as well be a rhody guy. :480:

·
Registered
227 Posts
mASS guy here. Just spent the weekend in Newport. Looking to get a LTC in your state. Would I be wasting my time? How tough is RI for issuing an out of state LTC? I have one in MA,NH,ME, etc, I might as well get one in RI. I am there enough............

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
If you already have one in your home state of Mass...then getting an non-resident permit should not be that hard. I have several friends from Mass who have done it.

On another note, any interest out there in putting together an RI or Southern New England HK shoot/get together? Any suggestions on a friendly location?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, the RI AG will restrict it to work purposes only, but since he doesn't actualy have the legal authority (according to attorney Perry Wheeler of the RISRRA)to do so, you'd have a real good case should you ever get busted for carrying it while not working.

·
Registered
22 Posts
New to the hk world just bought my first clone PTR 91 and i also happen to be from RI. A little late to the thread looking at the post dates but I am going to start looking into carry permits a little more I have a good friend who started working in the AG's office recently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Carry permit

New to the hk world just bought my first clone PTR 91 and i also happen to be from RI. A little late to the thread looking at the post dates but I am going to start looking into carry permits a little more I have a good friend who started working in the AG's office recently.
Hello Pockets,
Any info on getting a carry permit would ne much appreciated.

P.S. welcome to the club.

·
Registered
870 Posts
In the state of RI your best bet is to apply to your Chief of police for your town or city under RI general law 11-47-11. You will have a much better chance of being approved.

Also look at this board for info on getting your CCW permit

http://www.cralri.com/

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey guys, I'm currently a CT resident and thinking of applying for my CT carry permit as I've been planning.

But I'm transferring to RISD this summer, so I'll be looking to get a RI permit too. Think I'd have problems being issued a permit as a student living on College Hill?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts