HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked one of these up on a whim, not really knowing what to expect.
In short, it shot a quarter sized group with the irons at 25 yards, and thats with my (questionable) skills and the guns very stiff trigger.

The included sights are fairly rudimentary and the only way to adjust elevation is to twist the drum to the next aperture. That, or swap out the front post for a shorter one they include. So essentially 8 sighting options, so hopefully one of those works.

I only shot 200 rounds of CCI mini mag, but it had no malfunctions. Ill be heading back to the range tomorrow for further testing. So far though, this thing looks/feels better than I expected, and its more accurate as well.

ETA: Returned it to Big 5 sports for full cash refund. The gun wouldnt pull the first round out of the mag when the charging handle was racked. It didnt work consistently with either mag. Seemed to ALWAYS fail to load CCI, only occasionally with Fed Bulk. When clean it didnt do it as much but still did. Very odd problem. Ruled out mag issue. Loved the gun but just didnt want to screw with it so I accepted their offer of cash refund.

I bought a Sig 522 instead and it feels more 'solid' though the HK was 'cooler' IMO. The Sig is a little more accurate than the 416 but not by enough to make me choose one gun over the other for accuracy alone. The mag for the HK seemed more beefy and well made. The Sig's barrel set up is not free floated nor is it a thin barrel / sleeve arrangement, so I have a little more confidence in its durability.

I liked the HK but kind of wished I had gotten the Sig, so when the weird mag issue popped up I jumped on the chance to return it. Very surprised that a chain sporting goods store would give full refund on a used weapon. Oh well. Heres a pic of the Sig.

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
I love mine !!!
Have shot lots of suppressed rounds out of it .
With 0 malfunctions .
Thinking about SBRing .....

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually considered picking up one of the pistol versions and putting in the SBR paperwork, that way when the stamp comes in, I can use the shorter upper. Safer bet, in my opinion, than trying to cut the dinky barrel/shroud this thing uses. Plus you have a SBR and a non NFA rifle in one, essentially.

We'll see.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disappointing update. The gun would fail to strip the initial round off the mag about 75% of the time when using CCI ammo, 15% when using Fed bulk. Once I got the first round in, it was flawless. Tried a couple mags, no change. Slightly better when cleaned, but after one or two mags, back to square one. Returned for full refund and bought Sig 522, also a good weapon so far. Too bad, I wanted to love that HK.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Don't feel bad... it wasn't really an HK...

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
Why not just send it to Umarex & have them fix it ??
They have a 2or 3 yr warranty ....
FWIW, I put another 600 rounds thru mine suppressed Saturday & still Havnt cleaned it since I bought it .......lol
Guess mind was made on a Wednesday....lol

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I could have, I just hadnt had it long enough to get 'attached' I guess. I just wanted a fun 22 plinker, and the 416 thing was the first I found a deal on.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was considering one of these to go along with my Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22...and now I am going to consider the Sig instead...Umarex is off the list....thanks for the post and enjoy the 522!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had this happen before. It turned out there was just enough room to add 1 more round then the mag was designed for. I didnt count the rnds. just loaded till it stopped and that was 1 to many and the bolt spring could'nt overcome the extra pressure. Not sure if this was your problem too but just thought i would add my .02

KZ

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues.

I've had mine for just about 2 years, since they've first come out. Only issue I have had was a broken firing pin. I RMA'd it back to Umarex with no problems.

It's not as accurate as the Sig, as my buddy had one, but it's not too bad. My only 2 wishes are that it would have been cheaper and that it broke down for cleaning like an M4, as some of the other .22 clones do.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I got both hk 416 and sig 522. Hk got good and bad days but is 100% most of the time. Sig eats evry 22 you will feed it. Loves bulk packs I even dented the brass on evry round in a magazine just to see what sig will do. She spit it out 100% perfect.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep I was impressed with both but the Sig is exceptionally solid and reliable. Kind of surprising, because a lot of other stuff Sig has cranked out lately is utter ****e.

Oh and since were talking 22's, avoid the GSG 1911, I had one of those too and it was unreliable even with good ammo, and very inaccurate.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yep I was impressed with both but the Sig is exceptionally solid and reliable. Kind of surprising, because a lot of other stuff Sig has cranked out lately is utter ****e.

Oh and since were talking 22's, avoid the GSG 1911, I had one of those too and it was unreliable even with good ammo, and very inaccurate.
WOW you have some bad luck!! My GSG 1911 which BTW is the same as the SIG matter of fact GSG makes it for SIG. Anyways mine shoots great with any ammo but i mostly use bulk packs of whatever is on sale.
Buy a Ruger 10/22 that will not let you down, if it does never buy a another 22lr lol
KZ

·
Registered
854 Posts
WOW you have some bad luck!! My GSG 1911 which BTW is the same as the SIG matter of fact GSG makes it for SIG. Anyways mine shoots great with any ammo but i mostly use bulk packs of whatever is on sale.
Buy a Ruger 10/22 that will not let you down, if it does never buy a another 22lr lol
KZ
Funny...because the 10/22 I had was the worst rifle I have ever owned...it was an inaccurate jam-o-matic with 3 different manufacturers mags...and it shot 2" groups at 75 yards....when I traded it on the 'inaccurate' Smith and Wesson M&P15-22 I was shooting 1" groups at 100yards...

I am taking the plunge and snagging a 522 to go along with it...the 15-22 and the 522 are the way to go for tacticool .22s...however Ruger's SR-22 handgun is wickedly fun and dead nuts reliable...its like the 522; eats whatever ya feed it!

·
Registered
209 Posts
That sucks!!
one of my 10/22 has the archangel G36 stock on it. I love that gun and accurate!! Fun little plinker

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Funny...because the 10/22 I had was the worst rifle I have ever owned...it was an inaccurate jam-o-matic with 3 different manufacturers mags...and it shot 2" groups at 75 yards....
!!

All I can say is that you must have bought it used and some knuckle dragging idiot must have "worked" on it. Ruger 10-22s are the world's standard for 22 autoloading rifles. I have never had one that didn't run just fine (except the full auto TEK conversion, but then that's not a "Ruger" option now, is it?). Jammomatic? Really? Ruger fixes them, y'know. They usually replace every damned thing on the gun and sometimes even refinish it for you, usually at no cost what-so-ever. 3 different manufacturers mags? Ah-ha... not Ruger mags either, I'd wager.

Accuracy problems? Was the barrel totally shot out? Have you cleaned the lead out of the barrel in the last year? Ruger rifles are notoriously accurate... even with a home made suppressor hanging off the muzzle.

I'm thinking of dropping one of mine into that G-36 stock also. Does it fit in nice and snug or need to be glassed in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't feel bad... it wasn't really an HK...
Actually it is just sold under license by UMAREX and I've put a few thousand rounds of every ammo I could think of through both of mine. To date [1] round that did net feed correctly and had to clear the weapon and not happened since.

Sorry Walther my mistake

·
Registered
18,640 Posts
Actually it is just sold under license by UMAREX and I've put a few thousand rounds of every ammo I could think of through both of mine. To date [1] round that did net feed correctly and had to clear the weapon and not happened since.
Nope. Made by Walther, marketed by Umarex. Nothing in that rifle is made by HK.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts