HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently own an MP5 Clone that shall not be named which has a fake suppressor on the front. I had wanted to get the rifle SBRed and have the barrel threaded so that I could potentially eventually put a real suppressor on it, however I have been told because the 3 lug barrel is pressed into the receiver that is not an option.

If I have the fake suppressor cut off with ATF approval of course how much will that effect the accuracy of the rifle. It is a 9mm so it isnt that long range of a rifle anyway. Also is there a way to attach a flash suppressor to the front and is this desirable?

Thanks for the input.

Also I have a surefire on the front end of it, will shortening the barrel get my surefire dirty and how does this complicate the issue?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Most 'smiths will need to remove the barrel in order to thread it. I heard a rumor of someone that can thread them while still on the gun.

Generally, longer barrels are more accurate than shorter ones. However since the fake can is not a barrel, removal of it shouldn't degrade your accuracy although the POI might shift a bit.

Yes, the Surefire will take a beating due to sticking out past the end of the barrel unless you get the high dollar Surefire "offset" adapter, or do as I'm going to do and have the bottom hole of a 3-lug flash hider welded shut. The 3-lug FH is just a wee bit longer than the Surefire so that should help a ton. The good news is that if the Surefire light moves beyond looking ugly and into the non-functioning realm, Surefire offers a lifetime warranty and they will fix it for free.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
A few thoughts -

First - You don't need to get it threaded to install a suppressor. All the leading suppressor companies make 3-lug adapters which will fit right on once you SBR it and remove that fake can.

As for accuracy, like Eric10mm says, since its not really part of the barrel, only a hollow shell, your POI may change, requiring a sight adjustment, but it should still have the same repeatability or accuracy as before you remove the fake can. Also, sight radius has a bigger effect on accuracy than the barrel length anyways, and since that won't be changing, even if you really were cutting 8" of barrel off, it might not even be noticeable. I know when I went from a 16" 94 barrel to a MP5-N barrel, it didn't affect accuracy one iota.

Same goes for the flash suppressor - once its SBR'd, you can use a 3-lug flash suppressor.

AND... you might find that the 3-lug adapter on your barrel is actually a threaded on adapter, that may or may not also be soldered in place. You may be able to just heat it up, unscrew it, cut it down to expose some of the barrel threads, and screw it back on. If that's the case, you'll have a MP5 navy type barrel, with both threads and a 3 lug.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Since you just have a fake suppressor pinned on, it will not noticebly affect accuracy.....

If you had a 16" BARREL, then having it shortened may affect the POI, mabey even by a few inches, but the biggest determining factor is the barrel crown... IMHO the barrel crown is the most important factor for consistancey. As long as its a DECENT barrel, it should be accurate. But even a barrel with slight burrs and marks can shoot pretty well. A $10,000 barrel with a crappy crown will eliminate any accuracy potential the barrel has.

SO all in all, dont worry about the fake can coming off! It will still shoot good. As others have said, you can get an adaptor to use!

ETA

Having a longer barrel does not necessarily mean more accuracy. As long as the barrel is long enough to properly stabalize the projectile, it will not affect accuracy much, untill you count for barrel harmonics.

I have heard, that having shorter, stiffer barrels can actually increase accuracy, although you WILL lose velocity, which can adversly affect accuracy if the bullet passes to a subsonic speed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd agree with your crown theory only if the ammo didn't change... I find resighting is required when changing that element, on most all guns. With ammo costs the way they are, I find myself shooting different mfgs.

I've never needed a surefire at the range. You can swap out your forestock until you get back home and reinstall the surefire.

I've never used the surefire at home either - but my metal dog has a laser and light attached to it's 12 ga. muzzle.

A suppressor would keep it clean though, but the barrel end will be dirty when you take it off (have some rags to wrap over it and save the internals of your guncase).

Accuracy wiil also differ when you go from sonic to sub-sonic ammo - and so will the sounds from your can.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm thinking when I get around to chopping the fake can off my mp5 clone, my accuracy will improve. the fake can is pinned on, but not very tight. I can see my point of impact change depending where the can is sitting.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had my Vector V89 (SP89 clone) sent back for a little warranty work. They threaded the barrel for me in 1/2X28 without removing the barrel. Very nice work, as I put my .22lr suppressor on it and laser bore sighted and it looks very "true" to me with the tighter tolerance of the .22lr.

I am still researching 9MM suppressors (leaning towards a Trident) to use with this gun. Accuracy on my 5" barrel is very good out 75 meters (2" groups with Aimpoint), not sure what a 16 inch barrel can do though. Talk to the maker of the gun before you remove the fake can, as they know exactly what they did to pin it on.

Rick

·
Registered
58 Posts
A few thoughts -

First - You don't need to get it threaded to install a suppressor. All the leading suppressor companies make 3-lug adapters which will fit right on once you SBR it and remove that fake can.

As for accuracy, like Eric10mm says, since its not really part of the barrel, only a hollow shell, your POI may change, requiring a sight adjustment, but it should still have the same repeatability or accuracy as before you remove the fake can. Also, sight radius has a bigger effect on accuracy than the barrel length anyways, and since that won't be changing, even if you really were cutting 8" of barrel off, it might not even be noticeable. I know when I went from a 16" 94 barrel to a MP5-N barrel, it didn't affect accuracy one iota.

Same goes for the flash suppressor - once its SBR'd, you can use a 3-lug flash suppressor.

AND... you might find that the 3-lug adapter on your barrel is actually a threaded on adapter, that may or may not also be soldered in place. You may be able to just heat it up, unscrew it, cut it down to expose some of the barrel threads, and screw it back on. If that's the case, you'll have a MP5 navy type barrel, with both threads and a 3 lug.
It's not a hollow shell. That barrel should be 16" full inches. Most fake suppressors are not hollow and open inside allowing muzzle gasses to enter. That could lead to all sorts of problems.

ETA: Either it's a full 16" barrel with a fake can sleeve over the barrel that is pinned on and easily removable or it is very permanent if the barrel is under 16".

By law, if the actual barrel is under 16" anything attached to make it over the legal limit has to be permanently attached- most of you know this.

If this company uses short barrels and solid overbored fake suppressors, they sure do things funny.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
In my experience SBR affects the velocity, not the accuracy of a weapon. My SBR'ed guns shoot pretty much as good as my long guns--limiting factor remains the skill of the shooter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not quite correct- a shorter barrel CAN be just as accurate as a longer barrel and often is- at IT'S OPTIMAL RANGE.

My 16" SS AR barrel is very accurate out to 600 yards. My SBR is very accurate too but it's usable range is much less- like 200 yards for the same accuracy out of it's 11.5" chrome lined barrel.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
It's not a hollow shell. That barrel should be 16" full inches. Most fake suppressors are not hollow and open inside allowing muzzle gasses to enter. That could lead to all sorts of problems.

ETA: Either it's a full 16" barrel with a fake can sleeve over the barrel that is pinned on and easily removable or it is very permanent if the barrel is under 16".

By law, if the actual barrel is under 16" anything attached to make it over the legal limit has to be permanently attached- most of you know this.

If this company uses short barrels and solid overbored fake suppressors, they sure do things funny.
Yes, they are permanent- pinned in place, and the pin hole is then welded shut. But I thought many of the clones had 3-lug barrels under the permanently mounted fake suppressor. Is that not true?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts