HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you are disappointed by the fact that H&K has neglected to put the label, "Tactical" on the USP9 SD. Has anyone looked into engraving this into the slide?

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,890 Posts
IMO,
"Tactical" is just an extra bit that allows more to be charged. Sort of like an "expert" pistol class. A word engraved (or not) on a slide does not make the weapon any more or less useful. And while I don't think the argument would ultimately prevail, I'd rather not go through the line of questioning:

"So... Mr. Straightgrain, why did you feel the need to engrave your weapon with the word tactical? Do you see yourself as some kind of covert operator? Perhaps a soldier that never was?"

Okay. Maybe that's over the top. But why ruin a perfectly good weapon?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I say if your going to engrave something make it worth while. IMO "TACTICAL" is not worth it. If you wanted a TACTICAL why didn't you buy one? Like Straightgrain said most people try not to portray an operator lifestyle when they aren't operators. I have a Tac 45 and bought it because it has all the options I like. I don't like 9mm but I think the 9mm SD is cool to! Kind of like an MP5SD.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
while it would be cool to have tactical on the slide, Im really more dissapointed that it doesent come with a match trigger like my .45 tac and .40tac. it would be neat to have a "complete set" all saying tactical but i guess its not that big of a deal.
when I pick up my 9mmSD the first thing im spending any money on is a match trigger

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
while it would be cool to have tactical on the slide, Im really more dissapointed that it doesent come with a match trigger like my .45 tac and .40tac. it would be neat to have a "complete set" all saying tactical but i guess its not that big of a deal.
when I pick up my 9mmSD the first thing im spending any money on is a match trigger
I'm definitely disappointed that the USP9 SD doesn't come with a match trigger, but that's something that is easily fixed in the aftermarket. It's not as obvious how one would go about getting "Tactical" engraved on the slide.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you want to be tactical ....just buy a silencer.....bout as tactical as you can get! Plus loads of fun.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I agree, having "Tactical" engraved on the slide does not make it a tactical and would make you look rather "shady" if you ever decide to sell it. Having the match trigger put in is no biggie and it would not be after market, but genuine HK parts. Still, HK has never made a 9mm Tactical so having it say that on the side detracts from its value, both as a collection piece and as a genuine piece of HK craftsmanship. Do the trigger, no problem, but don't do the engraving. That would only make you look like you were trying to be something you are not by trying to make your gun look like something it is not. Anyone looking at your pistol (if they know HKs) is only going to think one thing, "poser."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why would HK do that when its not a TactiCOOL pistol? Only the .40 and .45 are tacticools. Thats kind of like me buying a base model corvette then asking wouldnt it be cool if GM put Z06 stickers on it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah, that's just like me putting a modified SL grill on my SLK. Mercedes never made such a model--and I darned well know it. I did it just because I thought it looked cool. I am such a poser asshat.

Come to think of it, my semi-auto MG42 says "MG42" on the side--and I darned well know that it's not a machinegun. I am SUCH an asshat!

(BTW: Read all of the above with plenty of sarcasm and humor. I think Uebermind should engrave whatever he wants on the side of his pistol. It's HIS pistol! He's the one he needs to please--no one else! And the only person who's an asshat is anyone who takes any of this big-boy playtime too seriously.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was thinking the same thing when I bought my 9SD. But in the end, I'm glad its not there, as it looks "cleaner" without it. If I had a choice, the only Hk I would allow to have engraving would be a large one with the word "SOCOM" on the side. :)

But, if they did provision an engraving for this model, having "SD" would be appropriate, since that is this model designation.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Now, having "SD" put on it I would be totally behind since this IS what it IS.
No problem at all with that. No real problem with having "Tactical" engraved on it so long as somewhere down the line some asshat didn't try selling it as a genuine Tactical. I have gotten quite terse e-mails from sellers on GunsAmerica who were selling 9SDs as Tacticals and even claimed they had o-ringed barrels and match triggers (Ok, I see the confusion on the match trigger part since HK was even saying they had them at first) which we all know is not true. Those guys are the true asshats and I bet they would not give a refund to anyone who received a pistol from them and then wanted their money back after finding they were not Tacticals at all and the o-ring barrel and match trigger that was said to be there was not.
Shockwave makes a good point, it is your pistol, you bought it, and you can do any darned thing you want to with it so long as its legal. And so long as one did not try to pass it off as a one-of-a-kind Tactical 9mm then no harm, no foul.

·
Registered
569 Posts
This reminds me of the post a month or two back about a USP SS that was destroyed by someone engraving all over the gun.

If getting it engraved "TACTICAL" is the only way you'll feel satisfied, then do it.
I'd rather go shoot it or get a light for it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, that's just like me putting a modified SL grill on my SLK. Mercedes never made such a model--and I darned well know it. I did it just because I thought it looked cool. I am such a poser asshat.

Come to think of it, my semi-auto MG42 says "MG42" on the side--and I darned well know that it's not a machinegun. I am SUCH an asshat!

(BTW: Read all of the above with plenty of sarcasm and humor. I think Uebermind should engrave whatever he wants on the side of his pistol. It's HIS pistol! He's the one he needs to please--no one else! And the only person who's an asshat is anyone who takes any of this big-boy playtime too seriously.)
Shockwave, of course he can do what he wants.

But heres the kicker.

He posted this on a public forum. If he didn't want our opinions, he shouldn't have asked us.

I'm sure he knows he can do what he wants, but thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whats your point?

The USP 9SD is a USP 9SD. The heading that HKpro posted the gun under won't change that FACT.
Haha, I didn't realize this thread was going to be so controversial!

I guess part of my frustration is that the USP 9SD doesn't really have a classification; if it's described as "a 9mm version of the .45 tactical", then why wasn't it labeled "Tactical"? Does it serve less of a tactical purpose than the .45 and .40 S&W models?

And if it is in a completely different class, as some have suggested, why wasn't it given any other kind of distinguishing mark, like "SD", to distinguish it from other 9mm USPs?

Also--would you knock someone with a .45 USP that did a perfect conversion to a USP Tactical, and wanted to label it "Tactical"?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Haha, I didn't realize this thread was going to be so controversial!

I guess part of my frustration is that the USP 9SD doesn't really have a classification; if it's described as "a 9mm version of the .45 tactical", then why wasn't it labeled "Tactical"? Does it serve less of a tactical purpose than the .45 and .40 S&W models?

And if it is in a completely different class, as some have suggested, why wasn't it given any other kind of distinguishing mark, like "SD", to distinguish it from other 9mm USPs?

Also--would you knock someone with a .45 USP that did a perfect conversion to a USP Tactical, and wanted to label it "Tactical"?
It looks like HK answered the age old question of 9mm or 45acp...9mm isn't near the round that a 45acp is, so it doesn't deserve to be called TACTICAL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts