HKPRO Forums banner

Entering the world of suppressors. HK 45 Tactical vs MK 23...Choices, Advice?

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Gamera 
#1 ·
I'm not that knowledgeable about suppressors, brands, functionality, legality, etc... So I figured I'd tap into the hive mind of HK Pro for advice...I'm torn about whether I should purchase for my MK 23 or Tactical. Pro's Con's? Advice, please. Thanks in advance!!!

#2 ·
I don’t know much but i do know that a .45 caliber suppressor with the proper piston will work with both . I have an Obsidian .45 on my HK45c T and I’m very satisfied. In fact I use the same suppressor with a 9mm. piston on my VP 9 T . I found the Silencer Shop folks to be very helpful. You won’t regret having a suppressed weapon .

#6 ·
I have used my Obsidian .45 on my USP Expert .45 and it’s nice. I’ve only shot it in the long configuration...but you can definitely feel the added weight out there. Next time I will use it in the short config. It should be mine to take home from jail in the next 3-6 months.

#7 ·
To me, the only reason to buy the KAC suppressor is to mate with the Mark 23. The can is good, but suppressor design has improved since the mid 90's. Dead Air, Rugged, CGS, etc.

Reactions: Tom308
#8 ·
While I would love to have a KAC for my Mk23.... because of wait time and other considerations, I went with an Octane in 45. I have a couple of handsfull of pistons to fit other pistols and rifles. It is a versatile can. I'd get any can you like that can be used on as many pistols you own or plan to own. Wring your money's worth out of the can while they permit you to.

#10 ·
Your challenge will be finding something you want. Just looking at the local dealers in my region and the “back order” and “out of stock” indications are better than 95% of the listings.

#13 ·
My MK23 suppressor arrived at my FFL/SOT so I went to view it and pick up the paperwork. The paint job on the can did not look impressive. It can't be Cerakote. My guess is they are using the same paint they were 20 years ago. For those that have had the can for a while, how has the finish held up?

#14 ·
Doesn't sound right. Mine was purchased around 2015-2016 and it has a nice, even black oxide (or PVD) finish. It's definitely not a "paint job" and has held up fine. Did you buy yours new from a dealer or used from an individual?

The Mark 23 suppressor still holds its own against newer, gimmicky suppressors in terms of dB reduction. It's heavy and expensive, but it's also more durable, and the notched/locking piston retaining cap design means nothing is coming loose while shooting. Can't say the same for my Octane45. The Mark 23 suppressor is still my favorite handgun suppressor of all time and worth every penny.

#16 ·
Front caps that unscrew for "user servicing." Not many people shoot enough to need to do this... it's recommended like every 5-10k rounds or something crazy like that.

Piston retaining nuts made of plastic that constantly back out during shooting.

Cans that convert from standard to "k" lengths. One more part that can loosen. Just buy a full size suppressor if you value noise reduction and buy a shorty if you value compact dimensions. "The right tool for the job" comes to mind here.

The fewer things I need to worry about and the less I have to grab my scorching hot suppressor to snug up loosening parts, the better off I am. The KAC suppressor is welded closed in the front and has the locking/notched steel retaining cap at the rear. Total peace of mind.

#19 ·
@Speeddemon02, I have no idea why I said "made of plastic." LOL I think I was thinking about something else totally random and typed it out. :) I was, however, referring to my Octane9 and Octane45 retaining cap backing out, which it has done. Pretty sure it's aluminum though... I can't imagine a polymer retaining cap lasting very long with how much heat the piston area sees in a suppressor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.