HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone who knows about them fill me in on what the differences on the models are. Im looking to get one for my USC and am having a hard time telling why some are like 250 to 600 dollars. Some do night vision and are close to same price? And is there only the single retical available? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
269 Posts
As far as I know the only difference between them all is night vision compatiable with some models and what batteries they run on. The ones that are shorter run on N batteries I think and the others run on standard AA. For most all civilians use by the cheaper model that runs on AA, you can always find a AA and you can buy Energizer AA Lithium that have a 10 year life and 7 times longer run time then a standard AA alkaline.

Dave

·
Registered
622 Posts
A couple of our sponsors at the FN Forum are having some great sales on some of the models - if U are interested. Excuse the mess at the moment, though - we are in the process of redesigning the FN Forum.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought the 512 and feel that it is the best model for the civilian market.
It takes 2 AA bateries and it does not have a night vision compatible display.
If you ever intend on getting night vision then you should reconcider.
It is one of the best sighting sytems out there.

If you want one a little cheaper the Bushnell has the same sight (same company) without the protective hood.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I have three of the 512-AA units and love them. It is the only HUD optic that I have used, including Aimpoints, where when looking through the display the FOV is not slightly darkened. Looking through the EOTech the FOV is as clear as if there was nothing there. Battery life is excellent, display is bright enough to be used in the brightest daylight, and the small MOA center dot makes accurate shooting out to 300 yards easily achieved on bullseyes at least as big as the dot or slightly bigger. On man-sized targets it is a snap.

G

·
Here are the primary differences between models. You can decide which ones are worth more to you than others..

510 LL (Less Lethal)

Water Immersion Depth: 10 Feet
Battery: N Alkaline
Life: 100 Hours Continuous
Length: 4 Inches
Reticle: LL or "Less Lethal" Reticle Pattern
Non-Night Vision Compatible

511.A65
Length; 4 Inches
Reticle: 65 MOA ring With 1 MOA Dot, or 1 MOA dot Stand alone
Non-Night vision Compatible

512.A65
Battery: AA Lithium Or Alkaline. [Rechargeable batteries OK]
Life: 500 Hours continuous
Length: 5 Inches
Reticle: 65 MOA Ring with 1 MOA Dot
Non-Night Vision Compatible

551.A65
Water Immersion Depth: 33 Feet
Length: 4 Inches
Night Vision Compatible

552.A65
Battery: AA Lithium or Alkaline. [Rechargeable Batteries OK]
Life: 500 Hours Continuous
Night Vision Compatible

Make sure you pick one that's right for you!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
There is also the model, the 553, that takes the CR123 batteries, the same as many tac lights and flashlights use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i ran a 552.A65 model on my M-4 while is was in baghdad last year. it took a hell of a beating but it still works. never had to re-zero it over there either. got a better shot group (even on my military M-4) than the aimpoint M68 and the AA batteries were easier to come by than the M68's (no matter how many times you tell 'em to leave it alone, soldiers still played wit the batteries and lost them). I picked the 552 because i needed NV capability. if you can do without it, get the 512, it's the same sight, just no NV capability.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 552 on my usc/ump conversion..they do not co-witness with iron sights...right out of the box, its pretty accurate..it makes shooting the usc/ump a whole lot of fun!!! look on ebay for great deals on new eotechs..

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use a 551 N batt model on my MP5SD. I like it a lot and have chosen the Night Vision compatable model as I own a set on NV goggles and a NV monocular.
I own 3 other EO-Techs and like them a lot.
Here's a pic of the set-up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If anybody interested I have a NIB EOtech 512.A65F I just listed for sale on AR15.com for $350, I will sell for $320 plus $9.00 shipping (which is a pretty good deal).

Kinda an impulse buy, once I purchased it I realized I had nothing to mount it on, only A2 uppers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
552.A65
Battery: AA Lithium or Alkaline. [Rechargeable Batteries OK]
Life: 500 Hours Continuous
Night Vision Compatible

dont pay more then $380shipped for this one

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only problem with the models that use N batteries is short battery life, maybe 2-3 months. Just make sure to carry a set of spare batteries in the range bag. The models that run on AA batteries have a battery life of almost a year, in my experience.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The only problem with the models that use N batteries is short battery life, maybe 2-3 months. Just make sure to carry a set of spare batteries in the range bag. The models that run on AA batteries have a battery life of almost a year, in my experience.
I have found just the opposite. AA batt model almost always had low batts or dead one after being installed in the weapon for about 6-9 months. I have 2 old model EO Techs that were made in 1999 and 2001 that still have the original batts in them and still are bright.
You may have had old "N" batts to begin with.
"N" batt life is the same as CR123s about 10 year shelf life.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have three of the 512-AA units and love them. It is the only HUD optic that I have used, including Aimpoints, where when looking through the display the FOV is not slightly darkened. Looking through the EOTech the FOV is as clear as if there was nothing there. Battery life is excellent, display is bright enough to be used in the brightest daylight, and the small MOA center dot makes accurate shooting out to 300 yards easily achieved on bullseyes at least as big as the dot or slightly bigger. On man-sized targets it is a snap.
Wow, I picked the newer Aimpoints for the same reason!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, I picked the newer Aimpoints for the same reason!
Big Bore is correct on the lens clarity.

Being a projection style technology, the EOTech does not require a coated lens for the lens to reflect the dot from the diode. so the lens on the EOtech is clear with out any coating. the Aimpoint of any type has a slight tinting on the lens so the reflective technology can work. this does some what effect the clarity of the view objects. very slight but magnified with low light conditions.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
There is also the model, the 553, that takes the CR123 batteries, the same as many tac lights and flashlights use.
This model also has integral quick release lever arms/mount on it. It's some serious $$$ for it, but gives you a very low mounting platform.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This model also has integral quick release lever arms/mount on it. It's some serious $$$ for it, but gives you a very low mounting platform.
it actually give you a higher mounting platform which in return drop the front iron of a said M4 sytle wepon to the lower 3rd of the optic wondow... I knew what you were talking about.. :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
^^^I'll need to recheck it on mine, never really noticed where the meatball shows up in the pane. It is low enough to co-witness on my AR though.

G

·
oh my.. tan eotech's!! I forgot how sexy those things were

i think one of those would feel RIGHT at home on my AR!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts