HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So.. I got a smokin' deal on a brand new black USC a few weeks back - $1239, and at a local gun store, no less.

Of course, I couldn't wait to start buying accessories, the first of which was obviously everything necessary to convert it to a UMP. Here is what $234 and about 5 hours of time (hey, it was the first time) gets you:

Notice how the selector has not been remarked? It was a total PITA, but I cut and carved on the UMP selector until it's profile was exactly the same as the USC selector. So it's the UMP selector, with all USC semi-auto internal parts. That by far took the most time. It would have been much easier with an indexing head, but since I don't have a mill yet, I used an x-acto blade an, er, uh, a soldering iron. I love plastic! I haven't yet, but will likely fill the catch cavity with some black epoxy or something, mainly because you can see where the hammer springs are deflecting the little ribs they push on, and I'd like to strengthen that area up.

Next came the lower hooks. I thought that was going to be the hardest part. It was actually quite simple. And the fit is perfect. It fits exactly like the factory USC lower, requiring the slightest bit of pressure to push the back up against the receiver.

Now all that's left is to cut the hole for the larger magazine (if I can't get a mill here in the next few weeks, I'll probably hand cut that as well.) But I really want to machine that out so it looks right. Oh, and get a stock block. HDPS said he'd be shipping one to me the end of next week. And a folding stock, still need one of those. Crap, and some 25 round mags. And the picatinny rails. And an EOTech or Aimpoint or something. And...

So it looks like I might end up with a nice UMP clone for just $1850, and a lot of work. Not too bad, not bad at all.

·
Registered
602 Posts
nice work. now let the mag hording begin.

when you get that stock block and get it all together, it will probably become your favorite range toy, mine did.

·
Registered
98 Posts
smokin' deal

Where is this gun shop?

I want to buy one.

I am sure they can order one for me. If they are sold out

and I will wait at that price !!!!!!!!!!

Where did you get your navy lower?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is this gun shop?

I want to buy one.

I am sure they can order one for me. If they are sold out

and I will wait at that price !!!!!!!!!!

Where did you get your navy lower?

Thanks
That was the only one they had, I asked. If they would have had another one, I'd have bought it myself. The price was reduced because they were trying to get if off the books. Any more they ordered would be at full price.

I got the navy lower from someone on sturmgewehr.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how did you do the hooks?
I used some very specialized equipment-

I held bad-ass 18v DeWalt powerdrill with a 17/64 bit in it in one hand, and ran the lower up and down the bit with the other hand. Then I got some more very high-tech equipment - a round file with a handle on it.

I first opened them up enough that they would hook over, the first time, the lower took some pressure to pull the back up against the receiver. So I filed a little more. One side was slighty tighter to get on than the other, so I filed that side a little more.

It took about 3 or 4 trial fits, and I was using my factory USC lower as a guide. When they both went on and off with the same amount of force, I called it done.

Either that, or I used a Kitamura pallette changer CNC mill, I forget which.

I haven't cut the mag pocket yet, but I think I said earlier, I'm going to do that on a mill for real. Unlike the lower, that is not a replaceable item if I screw it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts