HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I want to spruce up the HK45 a bit, and so far I have not heard of anyone doing this yet.

I am thinking of sending it our to have the slide hardchromed. So I pose a few questions to you:

1) Should I, or should I not hardchrome the slide?

2) Should I go with a matte finish only, or a mix of matte/polished?

3) Added to the hardchrome job, what else might you suggest to make the look of the slide really pop?

One idea I had was to replicate the finish of my Kimber Eclipse, it is so unique. All of the recessed areas are matte black while all the higher surfaces are polished steel. I don;t want just a "standard" hardchrome, I want unique!

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Send it to Tripp or Ford for hard chrome with brushed flats/matte rounds - that will doll it up a little. Maybe Novak or Hienie night sights - not sure how close the dove tails are to the USP tho...

Ford did this one - brushed flats

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Another vote for Tripps HC! Brushed Flats with Matte Rounds would look great on the HK45 and you would be the first on the board to get it done. I had my P7M8 done recently and am extremely happy with the way it turned out (better then expected).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hardchroming would look nice as well as protect. I have an M13 in Green T and a Remington 870 out getting Black T. Green and black is a nice combo. To each their own. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Eclipse finish you refer to is called Blackened Stainless, Robar can do it for you. I recommend Hard Chrome, it looks a bit more silver than NP3 gray from Robar. My USP/c has brushed flats, it makes the weapon stand out more and I was hesitant, but on Tripp's recommendation had them do it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd wait for a U.S. made model to refinish. Keep the German one original. You never know, one day the German ones may be considered "rare". That is depending on how many get imported.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
I'd wait for a U.S. made model to refinish. Keep the German one original. You never know, one day the German ones may be considered "rare". That is depending on how many get imported.
Good point. Buy another one and refinish that one. The bright side is, you get another HK45!

·
Registered
149 Posts
"Everyone's thoughts please"

How about spending your hard earned money on ammo!
Learn to shoot it properly.
The HK45 is a tool, not jewelry.

Sorry.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I agree with Capt. America. Shoot the hell out of it before you send it out to get work done.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
IIRC the US made HK45 is for Spec Ops contracts only, and wont be for sale to the general public. (Has that changed?)

When prices settle down, Im getting two of them - one stays black - the other gets hard chrome.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Sorry.
WTF is up with the attitude?

Learn to shoot it properly? What does that have to do with refinishing the pistol?

Now... back to the AESTHETIC subject at hand (since it operates flawlessly)....

I sent a message to Tripps to see what ideas they can work with. One of the main reasons for the finishing is to get the slide stop finished, the black wore off after the first range session. No biggie for me (my P30 did the same and I don't really care), but it gives me an excuse to customize the pistol. If it all works out, I'll be sending it over there in a week or two. I'll post plenty of pics upon its return.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you're considering Hard Chrome, no doubt about it, go with Tripps Research. They've done OUTSTANDING work for me. Also, they offer colored inlays on the lettering and I wouldn't doubt they could do a two-tone look on your slide in conjuction with their Cobra-Coat finish.

It may also be a good time to get the slide stop levers finished too. IMO, since the safety is polymer, I'd keep the slide stops and barrel black, but that's just me.

Another idea... You could also get the top rib serrated along the sight plane, like the P7s. That would be a nice touch. I may eventually have that done to mine, although I think I'm leaning toward EGWs E-Treat black finish for the slide and controls.

I think the HK45 would look nice with a hard chromed slide. You could go with the matte chrome or brushed flats. Either way, it would look nice. I'm keeping mine stock for now, but I can only imagine what Bruce Gray could do with it... (SOMEDAY :) )

·
Registered
260 Posts

Sorry.
???

Somehow, I think the OP has probably already done that. I'm not sure how it even matters. If he never shoots it (or any of his guns) at all, and simply enjoys owning and customizing fine firearms, where is the harm in that?

It's also true that customizing a gun (and refinishing a gun could arguably be a functional improvement) does not mean it is no longer useable as a tool for a particular purpose.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spoke with Virgil today at Tripps, and he was terrific. We have come up with a creative concept for this gun and I can't wait to get on it. I'll be shipping it out soon and I'll post up some pics when it returns.

I am very excited about how this will turn out.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Spoke with Virgil today at Tripps, and he was terrific. We have come up with a creative concept for this gun and I can't wait to get on it. I'll be shipping it out soon and I'll post up some pics when it returns.

I am very excited about how this will turn out.
Excellent! Can't wait to see the pics when it comes back.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You'd be better off doing this to a Deagle with Beamz.

You said you wanted everyone's thoughts....

My thoughts are that you are going to ruin a perfectly good firearm, and that its going to look like crap.

Looking forward to the pics, since my opinion means nothing :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts