HKPRO Forums banner

Exchange For New MR762A1?

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  NCDevilDog 
#1 ·
After close examination of my new MR762A1 after returning home I noticed a small dent in the upper receiver. I contacted H&K and they said they’d be happy to send me a new MR762. One of the guys at H&K commented on the serial number ending in 600 and indicated that I may want to keep it because of the serial number. I’m new to firearms and I plan on shooting the gun. Should exchange it for a new one or keep it?

Thanks for your opinion.

#3 ·
Personally, I'd take the fix since HK offered it. Unless your S/N is the first production S/N, or very near it, or a certain S/N range has some desirable feature, a particular number isn't going to mean much as far as value.

It's strange that they would replace the whole gun instead of the upper, since that's not the "firearm". But since the barrel has a matching s/n, maybe that's why they are replacing the whole thing.

BTW, how does the front face of the magwell on the lower look on yours? Mine has a flat spot on one side near the bottom. I'm wondering if it's from some kind of fixture to hold the lower in place during machining.

#4 ·
The dents are probably just flaws in the castings. My MR556A1 had a big one on the upper. I didn't notice it for over a month because of the black finish hides them well. I just happened to hold it in the right angle and light and about @$*# myself. I called HK, was offered an exchange for my upper, and took them up on it. I paid for overnight shipping and already had a pelican case, they had it back to me before the end of the week. I didn't record my serial numbers on the bolt and barrel, but I suspect they swapped out my upper casting only, which doesn't have a serial number. Anyway, I am much happier, but it makes me wonder about who is doing their castings and QC. Send it in, forget about the serial number.

#5 ·
#8 ·
MInor imperfection in the forging process. Makes not a damn bit of difference to operation and if it came from the factory that way, then it's part of the character of the weapon.

Sometimes people worry about the damndest things for absolutly no reason. I mean, it's a gun after all, not a piece of jewelery.

#10 ·
it's like that mole on cindy crawfords face. be happy you are lucky enough to have her and know others are envious of your riding hard and putting away wet.

to paraphrase the little kid from the matrix 'there are no safe queens'

shoot it and enjoy it, it's what i would do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.