HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up two new clones in one day, a new record for me.

First, I got the email notification that Atlantic got the Omega OM-9 MP5 uppers with optic rail back in stock, so I snapped one up (got the shipping notification in my email this morning).

Then, I met up with a member from another gun forum I'm on and traded by my old Coharie CA89 MP5K clone for a PTR 91 PDW (HK51 clone) with 8 mags and 300 rounds of brass 7.62x51. I might have lost a little bit on that trade, but since I had another MP5K host that ran pretty well and I didn't have an HK51 host, I thought it was worth.

I should hopefully be getting the OM-9 next week, as well as a full auto carrier for PTR (which hopefully will be just drop in, like it was on my full size PTR 91 GI).

Now, if only I could find a really good deal on a cut down UB Training bolt I can run in it, I'd be golden.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I thought the 51 carrier is shortened up like the carrier for the 53. Can you buy a 51 full auto carrier or do you need to have the 51 carrier you have welded up?

Scott

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the 51 carrier is shortened up like the carrier for the 53. Can you buy a 51 full auto carrier or do you need to have the 51 carrier you have welded up?

Scott
PTR makes a 51 full auto carrier and HKParts carries them. They are shorter than the 91 carriers, similar to the 53s, as you said.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Of course since the ruling back in 2007 that manufacturers could ship semi auto guns with full auto carriers and PTR is not using surplus carriers anymore, it begs the question, why doesn't PTR ship their firearms with full auto spec carriers in the first place? Thank you for taking the time for the PTR carrier lesson.

Personally, for fireballs and noise, I'll stick with the 53K. I have a couple of G3 parts sets tucked away, but I'm just not in a hurry for .308 hosts. The ammo is twice as heavy, expensive, and yet another caliber and mag system to drag to the range. As far as the trade difference value, I think you did okay. Like you said, you had plenty of 9mm roller locks and you wanted a 51. That sounds good to me.

Scott

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I finally got both of my new hosts to the range this weekend.

It was both good and bad.

First for the good, the PTR 91 PDW with it's new full auto bolt and full size stock (installed after the registered sear in the trigger housing was installed) ran like wildfire. I have to say, .308 out of a 8.5" barrel in full auto is a shoulder thumper. I'm glad the cycle rate wasn't any higher or that thing would be extremely tough to control (as it was, it was hard to keep the spread all within the 5 ring on the target at 15 yards... and honestly, some were outside of it too, though all were on paper). Definitely a fun gun to shoot and fireballs galore.

Now for the bad, the Omega OM9 didn't really work as well as I had hoped. I initially noticed that the charging lever was much harder to pull back than on my Coharies. When a mag was inserted, it became nearly impossible to do so. When at the range, it seemed to have trouble going fully into battery on quite a few mags, requiring me to download the mags by a few rounds. I tried to break it in with 124gr 9mm and put about 150 rounds of it through the gun. It doesn't seemed to loosen up a bit, but I still had problems with it going into battery for the first couple of rounds and even had a few mags (including an HK straight mag) where it just failed to work at all, never going into batter when the mag was in place (it would do it with no problems once the mag was pulled). During the runs where it worked, I would have occasional failures to go fully into battery again, typically near the end of the mag.

My Omega MP5K variant doesn't seem to have this problem.

Anyone else have an issue like this with theirs?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
There are a couple of things that come to mind. The OM9 is a full size 9mm clone? Could it be that there is roughness on the surface of the recoil rod binding the guide ring? Can you switch the recoil assembly with another full size 9mm recoil assembly and try it? I also wonder about whether the mag catch could be off, holding the mag too high. It wouldn't take much friction to cause function problems.

Scott

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a faux 51 built back in the "ban daze" which it was before Kansas had re-claimed our NFA "privileges" ... it had a 16.5" barrel but used a MP5 faux barrel shroud (which started melting after a few rounds). It was ok but I ended up selling it to fund something else ... Then after we passed concealed carry and loosened up on NFA I went a little wild, SBR'd my Coharie SP89; bought a registered sear and a PTR-91P (which I still haven't figured out why they don't call it a 51 it has the 8.5" barrel) and it came with a full auto bolt, which like you said, is a thumper. I found it nearly impossible to control for more than a 3 round burst; I only shoot it with a clubfoot stock, HK21 butt pad and heavy buffer ... because of the muzzle rise, which is pretty quick, even suppressed, I (for the most part) only shoot it in semi and I eventually added a custom built 52 by Jeff at PCS and took a chance on a Century 93P ... which has the same specs as a 53, yet they call it a 93 Pistol

I also recently bought a Omega MP5 SD and when I was reading the listing I noticed they note that "Due to the wide variety of out of Spec mags on the market it is recommended to use original mags or high quality equivalent." Personally I haven't had any mag problems like you describe except with one Korean 40 round mag ... everything else runs flawlessly, even my Beta mag drum!

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a quick update on the Omega 9 FS.

I emailed Atlantic and they contacted Wade at Omega, who called me first thing the next morning. We discussed the issue and Atlantic and Omega decided to replace my OM9 with a new one through Atlantic and have me ship me original back to them for investigation and repair.

I have to say, so far, despite the issue, it's been lightning fast communication and excellent customer service. Both Atlantic and Omega seem to be dedicated to making it right. So, I have to say I'm pretty happy with the service so far. I'll update the thread again when I get my new upper and get a chance to try it out on the range (probably won't be until next week at the earliest if even then, as I have both this weekend and next booked solid with travel).

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked up my replacement Omega OM9 FS from my FFL yesterday (who was kind enough not to charge a transfer fee since it was a replacement gun). Atlantic also included 2 additional POF mags as well, for the trouble. The gun looks great (though in fairness, so did the first one). The bolt, however, work much more smoothly this time, with a mag in and without. So, hopefully this one will perform well at the range. I'm booked solid through this weekend, so it might be a bit before I can get to the range to test it out.

I'll report back when I do.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, thanks to the rain this weekend washing out other plans, I got to get my Omega OM-9 to the range (indoor of course).

I pulled it out of the box, applied some Remington Drilube to the inside of the receiver and to the bolt carrier assembly, put on my SEF sear pack, and then slapped an A2 stock to complete the package. I attached my new
Holosun HS510C to the rail and loaded up 6 HK straight mags, my new (to me) Max Capacity Products 40 round mag, plus a whole host of 30 round curved mags (1 HK, 1 whatever manufacturer that came with the gun, and a bunch of Korean mags).

The range session didn't start very well. I ran through all 6 of the straight HK mags and the MCP mag, with quite a few stoppages, mostly failure to fully go into battery and some extremely light primer strikes (with barely an indentation).

Wanting to eliminate another variable, I pulled it apart again and this time applied regular Rem oil in pretty generous quantities (which is normally how I lube the roller lock subgun clones I have). After this, things got a lot better. I went through another 6 mags with only a couple of stoppages (one more light primer strike and another failure to go fully into battery). The rest of the mags went pretty smoothly.

So, either the gun just needed to break in a bit or the Rem Drilube wasn't particularly useful in the gun, or both. I'm cautiously optimistic that after a good cleaning and a re-lubing with proper oil this time, the gun will run really well.

On a side note, I got the Holosun sight more or less dialed in, in terms of windage, but I can't quite correct the height enough. It still shoots low and I think I'm all the way through the dial. Anyone else use one of these Holosuns on their MP5? I like the sight and aside from being way cheaper than an Eotech 512, I also don't constantly bang my knuckles on it when operating the charging handle, unlike the Eotech (which went to go live on my M16's Noveske upper).

·
Registered
202 Posts
This isn't intended to be insulting but when I have problems I try to go back to basic's

I had this problem with my CA89 FS and my sear, I finally found the grip frame wasn't always staying tight against the receiver under recoil. I tried a couple different grip frames and found one that fit tighter than all the others, so I use that grip frame in my single pin HK otto's ...

Also what ammo are you using? I used to have trouble with Winchester White box and Tula and some other cheap 9 ammo but I've since started loading my own ... I didn't used to see the value in it, but when I started shooting the 9mm carbines and otto's more often I saw the light. In 30 minutes or less I can load a hundred 147's for a little more than I can buy cheap 115's and I rarely ever have a problem ... I know that's not an option for everyone, but I have the equipment and I enjoy it (a lot of people don't). Now the only time I shoot factory ammo is when I'm breaking in a gun and in my carry gun.

I started out over 20 years ago with a Dillon 550B loading 45's, 308's and 223's. A friend that was helping me get me started in reloading said I'd get burnt out on single stage loading fast unless I was into shooting long range ... which is where making every cartridge exactly like the one before it and the one after it is paramount, buying expensive top of the line components then preparing and weighing every case, projectile and powder charge to the tenth of a grain. Making sure every projectile was seated to the same depth and had the same neck tension ... blah blah blah ... I've done that too and after a couple years decided I didn't enjoy it "that" much.
When I started loading 9mm's I already had powder so I just started picking up range brass then all I had to buy was dies ($30) primers ($30/1000) and projectiles($100/1000) ... usually I can find powder for about $35 a pound, which will typically load about 1400 rounds. On my Dillon 550B (progressive loader) I can load jacketed round nose 9mm 147's for about 18 cents a round not counting brass; roughly 10 cents for the projectile, 3.5 cents for the primer and 4.5 cents for powder ... the equipment paid for itself a long time ago ... and I work for myself pretty cheap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The HK51 is probably the most fun gun to shoot. I am stockpiling parts to build one myself to replace the one I sold 20 years ago. The HK51 is the loudest thing on the range and with a flame out the end gets a lot of attention. I am gonna put the loudest brake I can find on mine... :61:

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This isn't intended to be insulting but when I have problems I try to go back to basic's

I had this problem with my CA89 FS and my sear, I finally found the grip frame wasn't always staying tight against the receiver under recoil. I tried a couple different grip frames and found one that fit tighter than all the others, so I use that grip frame in my single pin HK otto's ...

Also what ammo are you using? I used to have trouble with Winchester White box and Tula and some other cheap 9 ammo but I've since started loading my own ... I didn't used to see the value in it, but when I started shooting the 9mm carbines and otto's more often I saw the light. In 30 minutes or less I can load a hundred 147's for a little more than I can buy cheap 115's and I rarely ever have a problem ... I know that's not an option for everyone, but I have the equipment and I enjoy it (a lot of people don't). Now the only time I shoot factory ammo is when I'm breaking in a gun and in my carry gun.

I started out over 20 years ago with a Dillon 550B loading 45's, 308's and 223's. A friend that was helping me get me started in reloading said I'd get burnt out on single stage loading fast unless I was into shooting long range ... which is where making every cartridge exactly like the one before it and the one after it is paramount, buying expensive top of the line components then preparing and weighing every case, projectile and powder charge to the tenth of a grain. Making sure every projectile was seated to the same depth and had the same neck tension ... blah blah blah ... I've done that too and after a couple years decided I didn't enjoy it "that" much.
When I started loading 9mm's I already had powder so I just started picking up range brass then all I had to buy was dies ($30) primers ($30/1000) and projectiles($100/1000) ... usually I can find powder for about $35 a pound, which will typically load about 1400 rounds. On my Dillon 550B (progressive loader) I can load jacketed round nose 9mm 147's for about 18 cents a round not counting brass; roughly 10 cents for the projectile, 3.5 cents for the primer and 4.5 cents for powder ... the equipment paid for itself a long time ago ... and I work for myself pretty cheap.
Which problem are you talking about, the original one I had or the stoppages with the new one? The original seemed to be an issue with the build and how the magazine catch was situated, so that's why it was returned.

For the second one, I really do think it was more a break in/lube issue, but we'll see.

As to ammo, I've been shooting Lead Head 115gr rounds, which are brass cased reloads. They've generally been good in my other 9mm guns, including my other hosts. I was able to lay in a bunch at $160 per 1000, which is hard to beat pricewise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts