HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 16 months of owning a HK MR308A3-28, aka what HK Europe sold as "G28" back in 2015, I figure it was time for an AAR.

Through its lifecycle, the rifle was adopted and changed in trying to create an ideal semi automatic precision rifle platform. It all started out in late 2015 with the purchase of the back then HK Holy Grail, the MR308A3 in the factory "-28" flavour.

Initial setup included a 2,5-10x56 SFP Scope and a Bipod/Grip combo.

That setup has proven to be very accurate from day one, but somehow and in an unprecise way, lacking. So off I went and dropped another 3.x k into optics and mounts.
Since I was a fan of the Premier Reticles scopes, I bought the EU successor to them, Minox ZP-TAC 5-25x56 FFP scope mounted by a 20MOA Spuhr mount. I felt the optics package was superior to the Recknagel/SB Combo.

This was the setup that would prevail most of the time until recently, with the grip/bipod combo mounted as required.
This was the rifle used to pass sniper course, as only guy with a semi rifle in the course, with barrets and what nots going about. The rifle performed flawlessly and with very very good accuracy for the entire time.

Despite that, in late 2016 I was starting to be more confident in my fundamental doubt on the rifle. It is too damn heavy, and the optics are, mildly put, total crazy overkill for a cartridge that has trouble making it past 1km supersonic.

Early 2017, someone offered me what I paid for back then, and bought my mags for factory price. After about 0.1second of thinking, off it went.
Despite the rifle never letting me down in its entire lifecycle.

Looking at the evolution of rifles in the past few months, for example 5R rifling and such, I do consider the G28 or the MR308 as a whole as a relict from past times. It is indeed an extremely appealing package, semi auto with almost bolt action accuracy.
But as we say, the "better" is the enemy of the "good", and that weapons concept, for my philosophy of use, is past its prime. When I limit myself to engagement ranges of the .308/7,62x51 cartridge, the package is just too damn heavy.
I would currently spec that to be a 4.5kg package with a 40 or max 50 Dia optic and no more than 10x magnification. Not a 5.1kg base nekkid rifle package that transforms into a 7.x kg package once good to go.
7.x kg is a weight class, you can only justify that if you pack a .338 LM or bigger punch.

So yes, unless for "collectors logic", I do not see this rifle to be a tactically sound and useful package in 2017. I belive the US Army has understood this in their extreme push to lighten the platform. Lets see what comes from that, apart from that, I will queue up to purchase the 7,62x51 "433" version once it comes out, if it meets the accuracy and weight criteria I set forth after my attempt to make sense out of the "G28".

Do I regret selling the rifle?
No, absolutely not.

The only thing I regret is splitting up my HK Twins:

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
After 16 months of owning a HK MR308A3-28, aka what HK Europe sold as "G28" back in 2015, I figure it was time for an AAR.

Through its lifecycle, the rifle was adopted and changed in trying to create an ideal semi automatic precision rifle platform. It all started out in late 2015 with the purchase of the back then HK Holy Grail, the MR308A3 in the factory "-28" flavour.

Initial setup included a 2,5-10x56 SFP Scope and a Bipod/Grip combo.

That setup has proven to be very accurate from day one, but somehow and in an unprecise way, lacking. So off I went and dropped another 3.x k into optics and mounts.
Since I was a fan of the Premier Reticles scopes, I bought the EU successor to them, Minox ZP-TAC 5-25x56 FFP scope mounted by a 20MOA Spuhr mount. I felt the optics package was superior to the Recknagel/SB Combo.

This was the setup that would prevail most of the time until recently, with the grip/bipod combo mounted as required.
This was the rifle used to pass sniper course, as only guy with a semi rifle in the course, with barrets and what nots going about. The rifle performed flawlessly and with very very good accuracy for the entire time.

Despite that, in late 2016 I was starting to be more confident in my fundamental doubt on the rifle. It is too damn heavy, and the optics are, mildly put, total crazy overkill for a cartridge that has trouble making it past 1km supersonic.

Early 2017, someone offered me what I paid for back then, and bought my mags for factory price. After about 0.1second of thinking, off it went.
Despite the rifle never letting me down in its entire lifecycle.

Looking at the evolution of rifles in the past few months, for example 5R rifling and such, I do consider the G28 or the MR308 as a whole as a relict from past times. It is indeed an extremely appealing package, semi auto with almost bolt action accuracy.
But as we say, the "better" is the enemy of the "good", and that weapons concept, for my philosophy of use, is past its prime. When I limit myself to engagement ranges of the .308/7,62x51 cartridge, the package is just too damn heavy.
I would currently spec that to be a 4.5kg package with a 40 or max 50 Dia optic and no more than 10x magnification. Not a 5.1kg base nekkid rifle package that transforms into a 7.x kg package once good to go.
7.x kg is a weight class, you can only justify that if you pack a .338 LM or bigger punch.

So yes, unless for "collectors logic", I do not see this rifle to be a tactically sound and useful package in 2017. I belive the US Army has understood this in their extreme push to lighten the platform. Lets see what comes from that, apart from that, I will queue up to purchase the 7,62x51 "433" version once it comes out, if it meets the accuracy and weight criteria I set forth after my attempt to make sense out of the "G28".

Do I regret selling the rifle?
No, absolutely not.

The only thing I regret is splitting up my HK Twins:

Nice report.

I wouldn't want one for long range either due to the weight. I love my 12" 417/762 as an assaulter, short distance with a great punch. I'm glad I sold the 20" supper that I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any accuracy groups that you can share at 100 to 500 yards or meters? Am curious what these are capable of.
No, the rifle was mostly shot free prone and not in the way people "usually" have their accuracy testing rigs. It was easily a sub moa gun and once we had a little competition shooting cents, that was no problem at 100m. I would consider this a gun that is half to three quarter moa reliably.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As of "So yes, unless for "collectors logic", I do not see this rifle to be a tactically sound and useful package in 2017" do you hold the same point of view for the MR223?

MR223 is also a pretty heavy pig for an AR15.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As of "So yes, unless for "collectors logic", I do not see this rifle to be a tactically sound and useful package in 2017" do you hold the same point of view for the MR223?

MR223 is also a pretty heavy pig for an AR15.
I do not entirely, simply because we are in a different ballpark weight wise. The MR308 with a 13in barrel and lightweight fixed 4x optic is a very fine rifle with excellent accuracy. I just do not consider the "G28" way the right way, simply because the weight has spiraled out of control.
The biggest issue on the G28 is the excessive optic combined with a heavy base gun, especially since the "gun" due to the puny 308 can not use the optic potential, which is more tailored to 338 class rifles.
What must be understood, and is mostly ignored by people not in the know, was the optic requirement on the GAF G28 was due to ROE in A-Stan, that are more strict than say US. So for better target ID out to 600m, they wanted a 25x optic.

Looking at the MR223A3, it is about 800grams heavier than a normal AR15, which is quite an amount, but it is still just a ~4.2kg rifle with optics and sling. That is not excessive weight but actually a weight that is easy to carry and a weight that allows for a very stable rapid accurate fire shots.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If I may add, the added weight on the 5.56 is also partially offset by added functionality in terms of a piston gun.

for .223 guns, which operate at a higher volume of fire compared to a 308 DMR, the piston's value is greatly leveraged. And I know that modern DI are badass, still - if you add a suppressor to the equation the truth is that the extra weight of the piston is an ok price to pay. Both will foul, but DI's get crazy dirty fast!

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
So, would our opinion change if the weight was more in line with the G28E (M110A1)? I am not clear on how much difference there is in the weight between the G28 and the G28E. Would that weight savings combined with a more reasonable powered (size/weight) scope for the .308 cartridge change your opinion? And yes, the Assaulter version (12-13 inch barrel) would be a kick a$$ weapon platform for its intended purpose.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So, would our opinion change if the weight was more in line with the G28E (M110A1)? I am not clear on how much difference there is in the weight between the G28 and the G28E. Would that weight savings combined with a more reasonable powered (size/weight) scope for the .308 cartridge change your opinion? And yes, the Assaulter version (12-13 inch barrel) would be a kick a$$ weapon platform for its intended purpose.
Absolutely, I believe a 13in barrel .308 with a 4x or 6x scope is a really awesome concept, but right now I would possibly base that off a Burk BR10. The reason why I am not building one straight away is the EU and the unclear future in legislative sense (despite them having passed this directive, it requires national laws to come in effect, and who knows how creative they become).

The Burk is a great base rifle, adjustable gas block piston (actually its an improved MR308 in that sense) with SR25 Magwell.

This rifle pictured seems very nicely packaged, swap the eotech for a ZO4i and get rid of the bipod and you are good to go, or at least that is how I would build an AR10 these days for my purposes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
nice rifle but that muzzle device is a bit cheesy, I bet it works like a charme though

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Absolutely, I believe a 13in barrel .308 with a 4x or 6x scope is a really awesome concept, but right now I would possibly base that off a Burk BR10. The reason why I am not building one straight away is the EU and the unclear future in legislative sense (despite them having passed this directive, it requires national laws to come in effect, and who knows how creative they become).

The Burk is a great base rifle, adjustable gas block piston (actually its an improved MR308 in that sense) with SR25 Magwell.

This rifle pictured seems very nicely packaged, swap the eotech for a ZO4i and get rid of the bipod and you are good to go, or at least that is how I would build an AR10 these days for my purposes.

I wouldn't want to be on the line next to anyone shooting this thing, not with that muzzle break attached (and on a 13" barrel)! Bye, bye hearing even with ears on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have found that I have largely moved away from muzzle breaks because of that reason, atleast of short barrels. No need to have what sounds like a nuclear explosion in front of my face every time I pull the trigger. I would imagine that shooting a 13in 308 with that break would require foam plugs under some muffs.

How much commonality does the URL share with the hk? It looks like a repackaged hk in many regards. How does the quality compare to the Hk rifles?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The MR308 is about the same weight as the LMT MWS aka the L119A1. That 4" of aluminum extrusion tube of the G28 handguard adds minimum.

My MR308A3 is a 10 round 1 MOA gun at 300m all day long using IMI 175 SMK match. It is probably not the most accurate semi outthere but it has a chromelined barrel and the maintenance is minimum.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The MR308 is about the same weight as the LMT MWS aka the L119A1. That 4" of aluminum extrusion tube of the G28 handguard adds minimum.

My MR308A3 is a 10 round 1 MOA gun at 300m all day long using IMI 175 SMK match. It is probably not the most accurate semi outthere but it has a chromelined barrel and the maintenance is minimum.
I am specifically referring to the package logic of the G28. For practical terms of use, a 5-25x56 optic and sniper philosophy of use is overkill, at least with the puny wet towel .308. A lightweight MR308 with a short barrel and 4x or 6x fixed lightweight optic? A different thing entirely! But as European, thats still, sans optic, a gun close to 3k. And when you can get a Burk for about 3.400, which is literally a custom gun smith built superb quality version of the MR308, I really have a hard time seeing any justification in the MR308 at the current price point i consider it a "wrong choice". (Just like the SIG 716 when it failed to be accurate at all and was sold off quickly by me!)
That said, a utilitaristic approach that may not be entirely in the logic of most users on a brand focused forum :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts