HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i have been collecting a little of everything and found myself trying to figure out the main difference between the elite and expert (45 cal) other than the barrel length. As members i appreciate the opinions of collectors and shooters. i have all the tacticals in every caliber and have the elite in
9mm. i was considering adding the elite as a 45. What edge if any does the expert have over the elite or any of them for that matter. the barrel is not threaded correct. Personal opinions of those who have shot both models please chime in. Thank you all for you time and input in advance.
J

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have 9mm ELITES, 45 ELITES (Like 'em so much I bought spares for the safe to keep my MATCHs company) and a 45 EXPERT and shoot all of them. How do you like the 9 ELITE? I think it is the best shooting pistol I have ever had. It is just brutally accurate. The 45 ELITE is just the same with a little more kick and a little more expensive to shoot. The EXPERT is a pretty good shooter too. I have the EXPERT for a second carry piece with a 45c. To me, the deciding factor would be if I wanted a carry or a target pistol. The ELITE is a bit long for carry, but with a pile of $19 10 round mags from CDNN, it makes for a great day at the range. The only thing that I don't like about either one is the goofy notched slide for the rear sight of the EXPERT. If you like stock sights. its fine. The front sight is shorter than any other HK. I put PSI fiber optics on mine and have to jack the rear sight up pretty far. I tried to put the NOVAK fiber optic front sight on it first but couldn't hit anything. It's hard to chose between 2 premium HK pistols, my personal method of choice is to buy the one I may not be able to buy in the future (ELITE). Then as soon as I buy it, I start planning on how to get the other one!! Good Luck, you can't really go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
so, i have been collecting a little of everything and found myself trying to figure out the main difference between the elite and expert (45 cal) other than the barrel length..........What edge if any does the expert have over the elite or any of them for that matter............the barrel is not threaded correct.
J
Besides barrel length, the elite has a tapered slide which is slightly lightened. You can go to the home page of HKPro, click on 'world of HK' and look at each pistol individually. Pay close attention to the underside of the slides, maybe put both pics next to each other in a window.

IF a shorter overall package is advantageous to you, that would be the edge. The expert doesn't have any advantage over the elite......they are quite similar once you get beyond barrel length.

The barrel is not threaded on either pistol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 9mm ELITES, 45 ELITES (Like 'em so much I bought spares for the safe to keep my MATCHs company) and a 45 EXPERT and shoot all of them. How do you like the 9 ELITE? I think it is the best shooting pistol I have ever had. It is just brutally accurate. The 45 ELITE is just the same with a little more kick and a little more expensive to shoot. The EXPERT is a pretty good shooter too. I have the EXPERT for a second carry piece with a 45c. To me, the deciding factor would be if I wanted a carry or a target pistol. The ELITE is a bit long for carry, but with a pile of $19 10 round mags from CDNN, it makes for a great day at the range. The only thing that I don't like about either one is the goofy notched slide for the rear sight of the EXPERT. If you like stock sights. its fine. The front sight is shorter than any other HK. I put PSI fiber optics on mine and have to jack the rear sight up pretty far. I tried to put the NOVAK fiber optic front sight on it first but couldn't hit anything. It's hard to chose between 2 premium HK pistols, my personal method of choice is to buy the one I may not be able to buy in the future (ELITE). Then as soon as I buy it, I start planning on how to get the other one!! Good Luck, you can't really go wrong with either one.
are you kidding me???? i freakn love my elite 9mm. if any shooters needs all the help they can get, get an elite 9mm.- without a doubt one of the smoothest shooting handguns i've ever fired. i just started collecting hk pistols 2 months ago and now i'm up to 8 tacticals in all calibers, elite9mm, ss usp match 45, and now looking for either a couple of safe queen elites in 45 and maybe a compact tactical. ...i got bit HARD by the hk bug, i resisted it for 3 years and just went ape Sh*t when i heard that they were considering discontinuing guns i really wanted. i just haven't shot an expert yet and wanted to know if i was missing something that my collection should have.\
thank you again for your input

·
Registered
195 Posts
We have a 9mm Elite and a .45 Expert. They are basically the same except for the barrel, overall, and sight radius length. The triggers are the same. If you have your chance to handle both of them, see what feels best to YOU.

I personally like the feel of the Expert a little better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a tac 40 and an expert 40... for all intents and purposes... just get a tac. You can get the "competition" .45 but unless you are gaining capacity like you do with a 9 or 40 and a funnel jet... you are wasting your money. The tactical I own shoots 1" groups at 25 yards on sandbags w/ hand loads. That's almost better than my expert... i'd save the extra cash unless you just "have to have" the "rare" model.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The new CDNN catalog arrived yesterday and shows the .45 Elite for $1004 and a S&W .40 Expert for $900. Both great prices.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As I have never had both side by side, this is a logical question to me - so be gentle! I have a Socom M23 - how does it compare in size/accuracy to the elite? I am looking for a 9mm for target shooting and the Elite makes good sense - but if it's too close in functions/style/size (save for the bullet size) to the M23 - I'll probably look elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just barely shot my elite in 45, and WOW!!!!!!!!!

It is so stinkin accurate. I was hitting empty shotgun shells at 25 yards! It is also one of the most soft recoilng 45's I have ever shot, infact, nothing I have shot in 45 even comes close; the dual recoil spring system works good.

The target sights actually let more light in than I thought they would. They let more light in than the tactical adustable sights. I have only shot 200 rnds of reloads through it and have had no failures of any kind (which is expected of hk's).

Wow, I am thoughly impressed with this gun and I still have a smile on my face.

I have not shot the Expert, but I have shot the tactical, and I would say I like the elite better than the tactical.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just barely shot my elite in 45, and WOW!!!!!!!!!

That is why people love the Elites and the Experts so much.

Once you have one, you are kind of spoiled. Then you try to find something as good or better to buy as the Elite or Expert (which is not so easy to do).

·
Registered
280 Posts
As I have never had both side by side, this is a logical question to me - so be gentle! I have a Socom M23 - how does it compare in size/accuracy to the elite? I am looking for a 9mm for target shooting and the Elite makes good sense - but if it's too close in functions/style/size (save for the bullet size) to the M23 - I'll probably look elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!
The 9mm ELITE Is a great target pistol. It is the only nine I have other than my MP5. I've gotten to the point that I can put an 18 round magazine into a quarter size hole at 45 feet off hand. I was so afraid that I was going to ware mine out that I bought an extra. Both Have Funnel Kits. I made a deal with Tracy at CDNN and bought 10 -18 round mags. So I can shoot 216 rounds without reloading. Some days I like the 45 ELITE better. It's funny you mention the SOCOM. The ELITE shoots very much like it but it is much lighter. The slide and barrel are matched on the ELITES and they may be on the SOCOMS. I'd say the 9mm ELITE is similar to shooting my SOCOM with the CCF/SWISS supressor. Neither one does much when you pull the trigger than send the bullet down range. The difference is that the ELITE is designed to be a target pistol and the SOCOM is designed to be the only offensive combat handgun ever made. If you have a bunch of SOCOM mags, they will work in a 45 ELITE!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the great info HKAZ! I was hoping that was the case. Now gotta get on the hunt to find one for a good price.

The SOCOM is awesome to shoot. Long-range, it's a serious machine. Very repeatable, no drama, minimal jump. For a .45 it's an amazing machine. But - at the cost of a box of .45 ammo - and since I'm killing paper only, it doesn't make much sense!

On a sidebar, what's with everyone saying they can shoot a 1" group at 75 yards. Are they full of shiat or just misquoting as feet? Heck, even 50 yards is amazing for that grouping out of a factory pistol. After all, 50 yards is 150 feet! My range is a 75 foot range, and putting the target at full distance, a 10" circle is about the size of the white dot on my front sight! Someone please clarify if everyone is misquoting/full of it - or I'm TOTALLY blind and need coke bottles! 8)

Thanks!

·
Registered
596 Posts
On a sidebar, what's with everyone saying they can shoot a 1" group at 75 yards. Are they full of shiat or just misquoting as feet? Heck, even 50 yards is amazing for that grouping out of a factory pistol. After all, 50 yards is 150 feet! My range is a 75 foot range, and putting the target at full distance, a 10" circle is about the size of the white dot on my front sight! Someone please clarify if everyone is misquoting/full of it - or I'm TOTALLY blind and need coke bottles! 8)

My range only goes to 25 yards, but the .45 Elite will shoot a very tight group at that range. Offhand I've shot 1 1/2" groups and I really do have "coke bottles" hanging on my face. If I were younger, and could see, I'm confident this gun would deliver sub 1" groups with good ammo.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Expert

I went through USP compact 9,357,45 to USP45 tac to Expert45 and absolutely LOVE it. The first shot at the range to zero the sights was dead center in the target - I burst into laughter. It's the most accurate pistol I have shot. I'm considering buying one to save for when this one wears out!
Enjoy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
[.On a sidebar, what's with everyone saying they can shoot a 1" group at 75 yards. Are they full of shiat or just misquoting as feet? Heck, even 50 yards is amazing for that grouping out of a factory pistol. After all, 50 yards is 150 feet! My range is a 75 foot range, and putting the target at full distance, a 10" circle is about the size of the white dot on my front sight! Someone please clarify if everyone is misquoting/full of it - or I'm TOTALLY blind and need coke bottles! 8]

1" at 75 yards....225 feet? I think I would need a bench rest and a scope to do that! I can't see 1 inch at 225 feet ! I might be able to do 75 feet with a rest. I'll try next time. Shooting the ELITEs and Shoot N C targets helped my shooting better than anything.

Good luck finding an ELITE. You will love it. CDNN has 45s for $1004.25 (weird price) CDNN also has 9mm Funnel kits and white mags, I always deal with Tracy there. I have had good luck with Gordon Miller and Bachman Pawn. It would be worth it to find a 9mm as the ammo is $100 less per thousand. It shoots 115g and 124g without much difference.

G

·
If you can buy BOTH. Shoot the heck out of them and keep the one you like better. However, If you are like the rest of us you will LOVE them both and even buy more of each! I did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Op My experience is stick to the Expert, the Elite is to big, and my particular one was not accurate nor was it reliable. I sent it to Sam Bass twice to get it reliable by it never was worth a darn for grouping.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I prefer the USP45 Expert over the Elite. I have large hands, and the Elite just feels unbalanced because of the longer barrel. Also, unlike my Expert, my Elite is finicky with target ammo. I get FTF/FTEs with everything but S&B, Speer Lawman, and WWB.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts