HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of an aftermarket part for the magazine release on HK93 and PTR91 rifles that extends the release lever? Or, how about a reasonably simple mod? Something that makes the release easier to reach and/or more ergonomic.

I came up with something, but I'm curious if I simply didn't "recreated the wheel".

~Gary

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Not cheap, but from what I understand, the HK-AR lower will set your hand closer to the mag release.HK AR U.S. Made Lower, US Made Lower for HK91 HK94 HK93 V93 C93 G3K MP5, Fleming Firearms RTG Gun Parts

I wouldn't waste the money on that tac latch. I would have a paddle mag installed if that's what you're wanting but I took from the OP that he's wanting better reach to his button release for quik mag changes? Paddle mag installs are easy enough if you don't have a solid semi shelf and just have the wrap around shelf.
I read the description of the tac latch and there's alot of misiformation on there about price legal specifics.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Below is what I came up with for my PTR-32 rifle (click on the image and it will enlarge). It's the RAM S12XC (Saiga-12 extended magazine catch) that I modified with my dremel tool to fit and clamp onto my PTR's existing magazine catch (no mods or alterations were made to the OEM PTR mag catch). In this configuration, I am able to operate the mag catch by extending my trigger/index finger without changing my grip on the firearm. This type of aftermarket extended magazine lever part is what some folks use on their Kalashnikov/AK rifles and shotguns. It is ambidextrous as well; there is a finger tab on each side of the trigger guard.

Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but so far I've really liked the mod on my PTR.

CIMG4959.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does it work? Is there a pivot pin like the standard paddle mag release? More pictures would be nice.
The first image directly below is what the part looks like out of its packaging. Essentially all that I did was to bolt it onto the existing PTR mag catch. . . but I had to modify it slightly, to fit around the PTR's "L" shaped catch.

After cutting it and grinding and filing it at a few key locations, it's ready to slip over the OEM mag catch. But to keep it in place I used scrap metal to essentially "sandwich" the OEM mag catch. . . and drilled two holes for the screws and nuts (again, without in any way altering the OEM catch).

I also used Plasti-Dip on the finger tab/ends of the extended mag catch (dipped them about three times).

~Gary

·
Registered
10,251 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Rich,
They don't make one for a side folder. I designed one for a side folder though and posted instructions to build it on Weapons Guild. Atkins seen it and had a pissy fit, so the thread was removed.
I may make myself one after I finish this Vityaz clone I'm designing.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
I just removed the folder on my Polytech and installed a regular rifle stock trunnion using button head Allens. So now my "folder" DOES work with the SlideFire and the Allens look enough like the original rivets that no one notices it was a folder until they really look close. Best part? Just pop the Allens out and reinstall the original side folding stock. Had to do it this way as you cannot legally get a 7.62x39 AK into CT unless it was previously registered with the state and you have a "Certificate of Possession" on hand. Since I DID have that damned Certificate, it was the only way to get the 30 cal AK into CT. I could have gotten any of the 5.45x39 guns and neutered it to CT regs, but who wants to do that? Besides spending the extra $800-900 for another gun. Youse guys already know I'm a cheap bastage... and I really, really like threaded muzzles and bayonet mounts... y'know... ya never know when you just need to do a drive-by bayonetting.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I just removed the folder on my Polytech and installed a regular rifle stock trunnion using button head Allens. So now my "folder" DOES work with the SlideFire and the Allens look enough like the original rivets that no one notices it was a folder until they really look close. Best part? Just pop the Allens out and reinstall the original side folding stock. Had to do it this way as you cannot legally get a 7.62x39 AK into CT unless it was previously registered with the state and you have a "Certificate of Possession" on hand. Since I DID have that damned Certificate, it was the only way to get the 30 cal AK into CT. I could have gotten any of the 5.45x39 guns and neutered it to CT regs, but who wants to do that? Besides spending the extra $800-900 for another gun. Youse guys already know I'm a cheap bastage... and I really, really like threaded muzzles and bayonet mounts... y'know... ya never know when you just need to do a drive-by bayonetting.
Drive-by bayonetting. LMAO! I'll have to remember that one. My buddy has about 20 AK's with bayonets. I messed with bayonets in the service, but I'd hate to have to ever use one. I think I'd just call a "reload" time out. Lol.
That's a great idea with the trunions and I now wish that's what I had done. Dang it!!! Mine is welded in. I have a custom Galil inverted safety installed also though and It's a real pain to remove and install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts